1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Major Vent

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sweety127, Apr 12, 2023.

1. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

Thank you very much... ladies please tell me how a father should react ideally?...it's his sister's son we are talking about...how would you react in this situation as a mom? Should I hit the boy? My blood is boiling...if I cut ties with sil it will be the end of my marriage...should I take this risk?

I told the matter to H first and when I made daughter explain it to H she was laughing and telling it as if it were a joke...he listened patiently and did not react then..

Reg SIL, my daughter told that she reprimanded the boy to never do such a thing with any girl here after...but the boy keeps promising that he did nothing and he was just playing with my kid..

Though H agrees that the boy has erred, he feels daughter sees videos, adds that might influence her version of story.I am not defending my H...just now we had a show down...he is recovering from a major surgery so he says he needs time...he told he will bring it up with the parents and is pleading me to give a benefit of doubt regarding the severity of the situation...had been crying for hours now...

step I need to take now
    Have identified a counseling centre. We will take her there this weekend..I will also seek counseling for myself..

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

A decent father would not doubt his daughter or cook up excuses for the situation. He would also make sure that the child is never left unsupervised around the boy.

sweety127 likes this.
  3. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

What's the action a decent father would take in addition to not leaving the child unsupervised?
    Complaining to the parents?

4. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

see now you are mixing a lot of items. and also indirectly avoiding responsibility . And I also get it is post pregnancy.

dh is getting in the SPOT. I give a 1% benefit due to his surgery. what happened cannot be changed. dh was not well. some delays. his slow , not protective attitude

want to resolve in future. Your DD will not go to any relative place without YOU. PERIOD. not blaming any further. just acting protective. no further discussions. more discussions more stress to all.

also every IL has their own life experience shared and Wisdom shared. so it is just open forum for you. In my house , DH would have made my MIL life a rukus she knows he is protective and get angry as hell when such happens. then his bro or sis would face. their kid may not.

sweety127 likes this.
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ensure his daughter knows her safety is priority and she comes first. Stop going there and keep interactions to minimum. She is observing and she knows that her father puts his sister above her own experience. She should never feel that her safety is inferior to the bond he has with his sister. The other parents are showing you what to do. They trust their son. I would hope my husband trusts my daughter and prioritizes her over a nephew.
    I’m so sorry for you. This is making my blood boil!
    I am so glad your DD is talking to you about these things. I am not sure mine would. Thank God!

6. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

so true madam. my dd and ds. at that age , were so naive . even if they are not fed or treated bad. they will not open mouth to me . it was hard.

sweety127 likes this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What's the point of breaking your head over such theoretical questions and evaluating how decent of a father your husband is? Anyway, I also would think like this and go around in some pointless circles in such a situation.

In my opinion, if a six old year girl says something about "felt so bad about his smell.", a decent father will set aside all other life's to-do's and give the matter his full and immediate attention. This two months time request is silly.

But the thing is some men usually don't understand these things till the wife explains it to them in full detail. Men don't automatically get that "something bad happened" to a six year old is ENOUGH. They don't get what it means to fully and unconditionally support the child. They treat this incident also like an incident of "he pushed me from the swing" and embark on a facts validation project. They don't understand that the full details are secondary, someone touched or said something inappropriate to the girl is the main thing. The wife has to become a temporary psychology professor and semi-therapist and repeatedly explain these basics to the man.

Sorry, the two months request is something that is driving me nuts.

sweety127 and MalStrom like this.
  8. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

You need to be strong enough be firm.
    Tell your H that you wont send your daughter to anyone's house alone. Sad that he is not proactive even for this important issue.
    It wont take much time for your H to under stand what bad or good touch is or talk to his daughter. I am glad that your 6y old daughter trust you and understand misbehavior. Your job is to understand, evaluate, validate if it correct and give strenghth to move forward.

It is your H's fear to take responsibility as he want to be in a safe place in terms of relationship with his side of the family. That boy did it (whatever) and he should be warned and educated, but its is his parents job. But showing hatred towards his mother or MIL or that side of family wont do any good. I guess you already talked to your daughter about in what way it is misbehaving why she complains of ' bad smell' etc to understand what happened. But bringing it again and again is like torturing her. Its not her fault that it happened.

It wil be better to maintain distance from that family and now onwards dont send your daughter alone.

Keep educating your daughter about good and bad touch and what to do( I remind my kids about it often).There are many many videos or cartoons on it. If she can relate send that video to your H to give the gist. Going after to your H or blaming him.. Wont bring any sense. He has to realize it himself. Take charge and be in control.

Thyagarajan and sweety127 like this.
  9. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

Thank you very much..they say God comes in different forms to help people in despair...i consider IL as a divine intervention..
    some are lucky to have understanding supportive people around...while some has no one to hold their hands and had to deal with injustice all alone...I fall under the second category...inspite of having family members, I feel all alone....I will be there for my daughters no matter what...I pray God to give me strength to do what is best for my daughters...

10. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

As your husband has not taken any action yet, why dont you just speak to the boy and warn him about the consequences of his actions. This will prevent such incidents happening with other girls in future through him. It will also help you to be normal as a conversation with the boy will help you to get this thing out from your mind. Possible that your sil/mil must have scolded or talked to him about it, but you too need to get the point driven into his head. Dont depend on other family members as they might be afraid of the relationships turning sour.