1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Luxury Or Invention You Wish Your Parents Had?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Rihana, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Just a light thread.. let's not get too sentimental. :sunglasses:

What is the luxury, invention or experience you wish your parents had had when they were younger or while living?

Something that would have made their lives easier or brought them joy?

Archanaanchan and anika987 like this.

2. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Geyser(hot-water heater) in bathroom.

anika987 and Rihana like this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Washing machine and dishwasher for my mom. Our maid used to take frequent days off and it was a hassle to manage a household of 8 people singlehandedly.
    Running hot water and central AC for Chennai weather. Though while we were growing up there were not so many tall buildings and still a lot of trees so we would get nice afternoon sea breeze.
    Home theater system and big screen TV for my dad who loves to watch movies.
    Last but not least, a nice comfortable car!

Archanaanchan, Rihana and anika987 like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Honestly ..nothing.coz life was very happy at that time..we had no phone,no tv,no mixer and grinder ..but lived in a joint family where the men were working and women were so busy with household tasks and dealing with our naughtiness:)My Mom used to say she had no time for thinking and always had a wonderful sleep and is super strong even for her age now.Thanks to all the physical work.

I had my cousins and friends to play coz I had no other distractions.books to read coz no iPad/iPhone etc.

We go to movies in theatres and it was such a blissful time.

In my humble opinion,all this luxury and invention only made lives tougher and stressful.

Maybe I want the time machine to be invented so that I can go back to the good old days:)

iyerviji, SGBV, shravs3 and 3 others like this.
  5. Rihana

My list is long! Few of the things:

- A bigger kitchen for my mom. : ) At least a bigger kitchen counter. After the gas stove came along, the kerosene stove still stayed on the counter, and cooking happened often on both. Even 4 more sq feet space would have made a big difference. : )

- More cotton sarees, the expensive kind. This is a long story, but basically it was considered not smart to spend too much on cotton sarees. Meaning, cotton sarees were only for home wear. I wish I could have bought my mother expensive cotton sarees while she was young enough to care. My high school classmates have in the past few years taken up ventures where they work directly with weavers from certain regions of my home state. I often imagine one such trip with my mom, meeting the weavers, talking with them.. buying sarees without caring about the cost.

More later.. The IP on my large kitchen counter just beeped, it is done. : ) : )

SGBV, SunPa, Mistt and 2 others like this.
  6. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

I wish I could buy a robot to do all household chores for my parents. Definitely it will make their life far better than now.

Rihana likes this.
  7. Madhurima21

Madhurima21 Gold IL'ite

A cell phone to my mom, so that she might have spent some valuable time with her parents and she would have shared her feelings with her mom...

Rihana likes this.
  8. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

A washer and dryer!

Also, central heating during Northern winters.

Rihana likes this.
  9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I really wished my mom had kinetic/sunny/scooty type vehicles when she was very young. She could have been independent. That’s invaluable in India. When drivers know you will take the car and go to office if they don’t come, they will show up on time so you don’t drive at all.

Madhurima21 and Rihana like this.
  10. Rihana

Water available from the tap all day instead of few hours a day:
    But the whole routine of filling the bathroom buckets, drums/barrels, and kitchen pots with water would have been absent. Those were a ceremony unto themselves. As we grew older, each had a task assigned so the water filling was done before neighbors woke up and water pressure went down. : )

A good quality and extra long garden hose:
    The one we had used to go all limp in the summer, and needed frequent patches.
    https://gilmour.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/flexogen-heavy-duty-hose-6400.jpg

Madhurima21 and Hopikrishnan like this.