1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A LOVE STORY - Episode 8

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Sep 1, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

She is an acclaimed expert in that department. See her latest post in this thread. When she does this much in an open forum in front of some 27000 ladies, how much will she be doing in our home?
    SriPa

2. varalotti

தப்புத்தான் விட்டுடு
    கன்னத்துல போட்டுக்கறேன்.

3. varalotti

Dear Mythili,
    You have brilliantly identified the commonly prevalent paradox present in our people. I know a young man. He could not sleep even with a night lamp. Unless there is perfect darkness he would tell us, that "it would be biologically impossible to sleep."
    His mother and father used to tell him to have some kind of a light in the bed room. He would vehemently refuse.
    One day he got married. His wife can't sleep unless there is a bright tube light burning in the bed room. Now this man sleeps in brightly lit rooms. Where did that biological impossibility go?
    In the case of Arun it is slightly different. His Dad never showed his love to him. He did not give enough spaces for his son to live. Whereas Dr.Kamla broadened his "spaces"
    All this explanations apart, as you very rightly said, that's life. We cannot reason out all the actions.
    At times people in low positions rise sky-high with their noble deeds. Krishnamurthi helping the farmer's son is an instance in point.

To my knowlege, NO. But I am anxious that he should exist at least as an ideal, as an idea, as fiction, as part of our imagination.

Don't worry. Wonderful, exciting things are going to happen. Stay tuned.
    thanks. For me these words are like a professional certification. If Sujatha were to read my story and tell me that it is good... believe me Mythili, I had the same happiness when reading your words.
    Love,

4. varalotti

I am really moved by your anxiety, BAS. But I am an able wartime general. I know that at times the best winning strategy is surrender. Total, absolute, unconditional surrender. That's what I did. Just see my reply to her.
    love,
    Boost

5. varalotti

Dear Vidu,
    9th part is due this Monday. I'll post it early in the morning. Thanks for the interest evinced in the story.
    I don't think your questions would be answered in the 9th part; but I am sure you will have a lot more to ask as soon as you read it.
    thanks once again,
    sridhar

6. indhusri

indhusri Bronze IL'ite

Dear Lalitha ,
    Here , in IL , he is my fellow Ilite & I'm one of his GFs ! That's all ! So you can come in between us ( here ) as many times as you want to ! Okay ? :)
    -
    - you've nicely usuppified him ! Big LaughThanks !
    Love ,
    Indhu.

அன்புள்ள ஸ்ரீதரா ,

மறந்தோம் மன்னித்தோம் !
    இந்து.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  7. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Dear sridhar,
    I wondered about Arun did anything happpen in his childhood like his mother was ill treated by his father,so he developed a soft corner for ladies.Because he hs soft corners for vidya who does not reciprocate his love and he instantly develops a passion for kamla,a passion akin to that a devotee has for his favourite God.
    did anything happen to kamla,that she develop soft corner for Arun?
    I know Iam irritating you,that is the price you pay for writing so well,there are other prices to pay, for writing well,that is bitter.May you not experience them.May God bless you that you always have the adoration of your readers including me.A Women is tough,the more resistance and more dislike is shown to her,the more goal oriented she becomes.
    love
    mythili

8. varalotti

Dear Mythili,

Thanks for coming again with your views. It is not irritation, Mythili. It is excitement to see you raising very pertinent questions.

There's one thing that the psychologists can never assess. How a significant event affects the human mind, is something which cannot be precisely assessed by any psychologist. Oprah Winfrey had an abusive father. According to prevalent psychological theories she should have grown up as a deficient human being. Instead she has blossomed into a great force to reckon with, an one-woman army, navy and airforce all rolled into one.

For Arun the defining event is his mother's death when he was 12. Children deprived of one of their parents have some kind of problem or the other. He grew up with his father during his formative years. That should have made him long for the company of women - not for sexual reasons of course. He was drawn to Vidya because of the force of her personality. And he still thinks that Vidya rejected him only because he was deficient.

And the father could not understand him. What his father showered on him was a kind of brutal love. He did not even suspect that Arun might have other talents. He wanted Arun to go for a banking career and come up in life in that route. That was another problem for Arun.

Arun saw a mother in Kamla. I strongly suspect that he should have seen a mother in Vidya too. Kamla's acceptance of his friendship was the first turning point in his life.

I can very well understand the pain in the deepest part of your heart which made you write these lines. I know the price of writing well, though my writings are yet to attain your standard. There is a constant obsession with what you write which at times interferes with my sleep. As you get absorbed so much in the story you become hyper sensitive and even a word, a syllable, uttered wrongly pierces your heart and the blood never stops. that to me is the bitter price you pay for writing well.
    I am also aware that I being a man am not as tough as a woman. In fact I thrive only in places where I am praised. I welcome criticism; but every word spoken wrong about my writings hurts me, it stings me. There are times where I have told people that if you don't like my writings please don't read them. And after reading please don't say something harsh by way of "constructive criticism"
    There is nothing called constructive criticism. By definition a criticism is destructive. And when someone tells me to write like Sujatha or Sydney Sheldon, I tell them rudely that I am not Sujatha; I am only sridhar and I can write only like sridhar. Take it or leave it.
    They say photography is a very expensive hobby. But in my opinion writing is the most expensive hobby, in terms of the emotional cost you incur.
    After writing for donkey's years I am now sure of one thing; I'll live only so long as I can write. That's my destiny and I don't want to swerve from it.
    Mythili, somehow your remarks brought these personal lamentations out.

Thanks a lot for invoking Her blessings on my behalf.
    Love,
    sridhar

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  9. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Love(ly)!!

Dear Sridhar,
    Another phenomenal episode !

The title "A Love Story" is very apt because it not only refers to the love shared between Arun & Vidya, but between all the characters in this story.

A love between husband & wife, doctor & patient, between friends, colleagues, writer and editor and so on...!! Phew ! How can we forget the love/respect Naren and his dad have for Arun ? Amazing..it is like a beautiful chain reaction and hopefully things fall in place at the end !

So the title is perfectly justified.

Felt very depressed because of 2 deaths in this episode. Especially that of Krishnamurthi. Just when father & son understood each other after the reunion...is this fair? Couldn't he have lived/survived this attack to see his son married to the love of his life?

As for Dr.Rao, this character makes one realize that we cannot trust a person in the name of friendship. We need to get into any business deal with our eyes open instead of blind trust.

The conversation between Kumar and Sekar is a real eye-opener. When one can make sacrifices or changes in their life for a person whom they just met, then why not for someone who is going to share your life forever? Impeccable !

Couldn't help but feel sorry for Dr.Kamla, who tried her best to handle this precarious situation.

Just like in the movies, Arun comes to her rescue (inspite of his recent loss). So gracious of him to bring Naren into the picture.

Especially loved these lines as told by Kamla.
    Arun really stands out in this episode. He has handled the death of his dad and the predicament of Dr.Kamla in a matured manner. His presence of mind is sure to be appreciated here.

Impressive statement...splendid words !

Now, waiting to read how the story is going to unfold further...!!

Regards
    Krithika

10. varalotti

Re: Love(ly)!!

Dear Krithika,

Of late you have started playing the role of Solomon Pappiah for the debate going on in these threads. You come towards the end and give a beautiful summary of the episode, so that it stands in the minds of ILites as they move on to the next episode.

You have correctly captured the meaning of the title. You are right; it's a story of love all around. It's a story where there is minimum villainy and minimum evil.

Krishnamurthi's death has added an extra depth not only to the story but also to his character, Arun's character and even Kumar's character. And as I told someone here in this thread, Krishnamurthi's death was not something I had planned earlier. It was not in the story outline I had prepared beforehand. But as I wrote the episode it just happened, sort of "wrote itself". Krishnamurthi has now become like the character jadayu in Ramayana. He died only after performing his duty. And his death was caused by a person of evil. (For Jadayu, it was Ravana and for K, it was the bank manager). And his death accelerated the pace of the story and brought the best out of Arun. Jatayu's death brought the best out of Rama. A crown prince crying for the death of a bird is the height of compassion.

Through Dr.Rao's life and death I am giving a message to all. One of my senior colleagues put it this way.
    "Sridhar, it is much safer to be friends with people with whom we do business than to do business with friends."
    I too was deceived by one such friend some 22 years ago. As a friend was excellent; but as a business partner he was treacherous. I booked my losses and walked out of the business as well as his friendship.

Kamla's problem like Krishnamurthi's death will add several dimensions to the story and to the characters. Just wait and see.

Kamla's lines about the Counsellors not being above ordinary people were borne out of my experience. If you can trace a thread of mine about the "other women" in my life, you will find the amplification and the vindication of Kamla's lines.

Kamla accepted Arun's friendship when he was in depression. The good she did is coming back to her. And Arun and Naren are doing good to Kamla which is going to go back to them. And Nature has a beautiful law in this regard. One unit of good when it comes back, comes as ten or even hundred.
    That's going to happen. Just wait and see.

Stay tuned.
    Thanks once again for the nice fb.
    love,
    sridhar