1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A LOVE STORY - Episode 4

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    Your narration about your friend embracing another religion has been happening around for quite some time now.Earlier it was common amongst the disgruntled lot in society who had been deprived their fundemental rights. Now a days we see people from upper strata of society too seeking comfort in other religions. Like you I too believe in free worship.
    One of our acquaintences who converted was brainwashing me into conversion too! Thank God, my fundamentals were strong! She would bring the books of the new found religion and ask me to read them. At the time I had a book on the same religion which I had borrowed from the library for reading. I showed it to her and said- "You have only the basic book now. I am reading the advanced version of the same book. Do you still think that conversion is the only solution to all our problems?" She evaded my question.She said that so much of visiting temples and performing rituals had not solved their problems. Then I shot back one more question at her. You read these new religious books so religiously and are able to quote lines from them too. Have you ever made an attempt at reading our scriptures all these 40 years of your life? On what basis you conclude that our Gods are not answering your prayers whereas the God form another religion is giving magical solutions to your problems? Problems are our own making and we have to find solutions to them. Where does any God come here? She had no answer and she left and stopped her gimmicks with me.
    Then she approached another close friend of mine who had lost her husband and was sorrow-stricken.The lady tried her usual tricks to lure the poor woman into her new found religion saying all her sorrows would be wiped out. My friend asked- "If I convert, would I be able to get back my husband alive, whose loss has been the cause of my sorrow?" The other lady was dumb-struck! She silently walked away never to bother her again!
    The Vainshnavite scholar's conduct is not in good taste. What is the point in being an erudite scholar in the Prabandham if he is not able to see the oneness in all Gods of the same religion, leave alone other religions?
    I didn't know that you would see so much into this. Sincerely, for my lack of words to praise your beautiful chain of thoughts flowing out as poetry, I had used a short cut way out! But thanks for making me feel elated.Thank you too for the lengthy reply amidst your busy schedule. Eagerly waiting for your next episode. Of course, I may not be able to respond immediately due to the usual hurdles at home which I had mentioned earlier.
    Love,
    Malathi

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  2. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Dear sridhar,
    I finished reading the episodes at one go.At first kamla charater sounded a little artificial or contrived.But as I continuesd with the story I began to like kamla ,the sensitive therapist.
    I feel sorry for aaArun.Somehow I get the feeling that vidya does not deserve to be loved by this sensitive,flowerlike man.Hope he meets the right girl.
    I love Dr.Kumar,kamla's husband,comes across as a nice person,who would not sit in judjement on othes,however bad they are.In a way I envy kamla how lucky a woman should be to marry such a soft and loving husband.
    I finished reading the last episode and then only realised that I have to wait for the next post from you.
    I will wait.Iam a cancerian,patience is my virtue.
    I loved the episode,sridhar,looking forward to the next one.
    By the way,
    I am now planning to love These words spoken by the other doc made me cringe.What a malechuvanistic person he is.I hope he goes and tells his wife taht he loves her and that woman says,sorry Iam in love with somebody else.
    love
    mythili

3. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Malathi,
    I loved the reply given by your friend
    That's what we call in Madurai a nethi adi. The other lady asked for it and got it.
    Religion and God are wrong places to look for solutions for our problems or reliefs for our sorrows or cures for our ailments.
    I know a friend who is an ardent devotee of Sringeri Acharya. Once he was in deep trouble. At that time he planned a trip to Sringeri. I asked him jokingly, "Are you going to ask your guru about the path you should take in these difficult times?"
    He shouted back, "Why should I? I go there only to see him. He'll bless me. I will not talk about my problems. My problems have to be solved only by me."
    If only that approach is adopted by all of us, there won't be any fake samiars around.
    thanks for the interesting reply, Malathi.
    Love,
    sridhar

4. varalotti

Dear Mythili,
    I did not want to close ALS 4 without your blessings in the form of a fb. As you know ALS 5 is due on Monday and your fb came on time. Thanks for the time.

Therapists like Kamla and husbands like Kumar are becoming so rare that they appear slightly artificial. But, Mythili, my life-time mission is to portray ideal characters, ideal human beings. Goodness and values should exist at the stage of ideals.

I am very proud, Mythili, that my writings have awakened the mother in you. Especially the word "flower-like man" can come only from the man's mother. But let's wait a little more and see how Vidya's character unfolds.

Kumar is my most ideal character. My wife out of her blind love said that I am like Kumar. Nothing could be farther from Kumar. I am going to be like Kumar, eventually, at least after a hundred lifetimes.

ALS 5 is after all 36 hours away. I am sorry I made you exercise your cancerian virtue.

While the earlier quote of yours brought out the mother in you, this brought out the ferocity in you as a woman. Yes there are people like that. I am assigning a greater role for Rao in the coming episodes. Let's see.
    Stay tuned, Mythili. Thanks for the nice fb. I loved it.
    Love,

5. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Re: Poignant Piece !

Dear Sridhar,

Thanks for such a pleasant reply to my fb !!

Infact, I am so delighted to see that you took the liberty of editing my post !! :)
    Once again thanks !

So glad to read that you are impressed by the tag line in my signature. I've always loved these friendship quotes...
    “Our relatives are ours by chance, but we can choose our friends.”

“Chance makes our parents, but choice makes our friends”

Oscar Wilde quote:
    “True friends stab you in the front.”

The point is I am very careful when it comes to choosing friends. We can have many acquaintances, but are they all our friends? When we choose, we do need to do that gingerly !

I've seen many people casually use the word 'friend', when they've hardly interacted with the person once or twice. I don't know whether I am giving more weightage to the word 'friend' ! :)

I totally agree with you on this ! There may be no rhyme or reason, we may not be able to pinpoint the exact moment, but it happens. It is infact a big relief to let go off our tears at that time ! :)

Sure will pray for you . All the best Sridhar !
    Counting the hours now...(instead of days)

Regards
    Krithika

6. varalotti

Re: Poignant Piece !

Dear Krithika,
    ILites always appreciate me for writing long personalised replies to the fb I receive. They all think that I am doing a selfless service there.
    No it's not true. I am a very selfish person, you know.
    For unless I write a long, touching fb, how can I get some gems of replies from persons like you.
    Your reply was quite moving, Krithika. In fact I love it so much that I don't even have the mind to give a point by point reply which I normally do.
    I am proud to know that I am in the "gathered lot"
    thanks for the privilege.
    regards,

7. brindhak

brindhak Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar....

Only you can do that, Malathi. To borrow Brindhak's beautiful words to praise me. You have accomplished many things in the process. First you have shown to us all that you have a large heart. Second you made me read those flattering, inspiring words once again. Third, you have given the recognition that sweet little girl richly deserves.

Thankyou very much for your golden words...

Firstly i want to apologise..because .. I was unable to read all the casting discussions of ALS 4 ..I missed all the intresting FB and the replies of this episode......

I am really stuck here.. with a big list from india from my relatives & friends... So I have already started my hunt and shopping of the things for my next month india trip... Im missing my favourite Sridhar's Forum because of this bonk..

Its 12 am here..I was very happy to see your FB for my thread ..You made me smile at the beginning of the day itself :) ..and I jumped to this link after seeing that . Thankyou very much Sridhar . Im feeling as if Im crowned...:queen You made this little girl to sob again ....

Dear Malathi Mam..

Please accept my Bow for the sweet heart you have.... Its a great honour for me from you !!

This is a double gift for me from Two Great loving Souls of IL....

8. brindhak

brindhak Gold IL'ite

“Do you think that I will switch sides because the other God is more powerful? Then my life time of love and devotion to you will be a sham. I’ll rather be damned by you than be saved by the Other God.”

That obscure South Indian Poet is yours truly. I once attempted a poem with that central idea, but did not have the mind to send it out. This story gave me an opportunity to use that.

Sridhar Where can I search words to praise your Extraordinary thinking and writing Skills ..You are an Exceptional Writer...!!

Please accept my Appreciations to the power of Infinity !!! :bowdown
    What else i can say... ?

Finally A word .....

Im blessed and gifted to write a FB for your Incredible & Remarkable writings !!
    I thankgod for that.. !! :bowdown

9. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Brindak,
    I should actually say sorry to you for having copied and pasted your words of praise to Sridhar. But any way Sridhar has honoured both of us and that sure is a great day for me too! So I should thank you for this!
    Love,
    Malathi

10. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar

You can view the photos here.

Trip to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone