1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A LOVE STORY - Episode 13

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Oct 5, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

A LOVE STORY
    A Serial By Varalotti Rengasamy
    Episode 13

Hearing Arun being praised by Karthik and Kumar Vidya could not control herself.

“Tell me, Ma, how long I am going to suffer without seeing him? When am I going to set my eyes on him, Ma?

“You know, Ma, I don’t want to talk to him. I just want to hold his hands and sit silently for hours on end; for days on end. Will that happen, Ma? Will I see him, Ma?”

“You will, my dearest. Arun will be here on Thursday morning. I have made all the arrangements. All of us are going to the airport to receive him.”

“Really? How did you do that, Ma? You are the bestest, sweetest, nicest Ma in the whole world.”

Vidya was showering Kamla’s face with kisses.

The surcharged atmosphere of love and affection remained in the room till it was interrupted by the ringing of Vidya’s cell phone.

It was a call from her office. She came to Kamla and Kumar after attending to the call.

“Ma, Pa, I have to go to office now. Something important has come up. I will be back before ten. I have organized a small outing for you. To <st1:place><st1:placeName>Senthosa</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Island</st1:placeType></st1:place>. You’ll be in time for the water show. A must see.

“A guide will come to pick you up in another fifteen minutes. Any particular preferences for the night dinner?”

“Nothing my child.”

“We’ll have dinner together around 10 or half-past. See you Ma, See you <st1:State><st1:place>Pa.</st1:place></st1:State>”

2. varalotti

Part 2!

When Kamla and Kumar returned home around a <st1:time minute="45" hour="9">quarter to ten</st1:time>, Vidya was already there. As soon as she saw them she ran to Kamla and hugged her.

“I have great news for you, Ma. I am going to be relieved of my responsibilities by Wednesday afternoon. There’s a farewell lunch and I will be back home latest by five in the evening.”

“Well in time to get ready to receive your hero the next morning”

Vidya blushed.

They sat down for a take-away dinner brought in by Vidya. There were rotis, dal, bread toasts, pizzas, dosas, idlies, some fruits, a jar of fresh gulab jamuns and some delicious ice creams.

Kamla was astonished to see the huge spread.

“Vidya is this, your marriage feast?”

“I didn’t know what you guys would like to have. So I brought a little of everything. I am very happy today and hence the sweets and ice cream.”

Vidya did not touch anything from that vast spread. Kamla’s eyes became wet on seeing Vidya taking lemon rice and curd rice made in the afternoon – food items absolutely unsuitable for the night.

“What’s this, Vidya?”

“I can never bring myself to waste lemon rice and curd rice.”

“Vidya dear, Arun is going to be simply submerged and overwhelmed in your love. And you two should live for a hundred years and more.”

When they finished their dinner it was a <st1:time minute="45" hour="10">quarter to Eleven</st1:time>.

3. varalotti

Part 3!

“I don’t feel like sleeping now. Tell me what you want to do. Shall I switch on the TV or do you want to see any good movie or shall we go for a drive?”

“Nothing of that sort. We have a lot to do. We have to decide so many things. So I suggest that all the three of us sit down and talk for a while. What do you say, Kumar?”

“Ditto.”

“Vidya today is Monday. Arun is coming here on Thursday morning. Why don’t we have a simple engagement function let’s say on Friday?”

“Who’s going to be engaged, Ma?”

“Kumar and I.”

“Ma..”

“A stupid question always gets a silly answer.”

Kumar had a hearty laugh.

Suddenly Vidya became serious and talked almost in a whisper but with extraordinary firmness.

“Ma, Pa, please have mercy on me. I have already suffered enough in life, being away from my Arun. My heart can’t bear the anxiety and uncertainty any longer. So I am not for having an engagement function.

“If it’s okay with Arun and with you two, I’ll like to have a simple wedding on Sunday. If Arun insists we can have a religious function later in <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>.”

“My God! You are way too fast, girl.”

“Please understand me, Ma. That’s not because I am longing for marital pleasures. Life is so uncertain. If anything should happen to me, I should die as Arun’s wife. My soul will not rest in peace if my obit notice does not refer to me as Mrs Vidya Arun Kumar…”

“SHUT UP, IDIOT.”

Kamla’s words would have been heard by somebody living three floors below.

“One word more then you’ll lose forever the right to call me Ma. I promise on God. “

“I’m sorry, Ma. Having lived a lonely life of so many years I still can’t believe my luck that Arun is in love with me. I apologize, Ma.”

She then saw Kumar who also looked hurt.

“I’m sorry, <st1:state><st1:place>Pa.</st1:place></st1:state> I promise you I won’t do this again. Come on, show your hand.”
    Kumar showed his hand. Vidya placed her right hand on his.

“What you have done is a sin, Vidya. To talk about one’s death, to visualize it.. to wish for it..all are sins. And your Ma and I are going to do the retribution for it. For the next ten minutes you are not going to speak a word. We are going to pray for your and Arun’s welfare. Kamla come here. Close your eyes and start praying.”

As Kumar was focusing his mind his lips started repeating a mantra from Rig Veda that is traditionally considered as the strongest blessing. He directed the blessings to Vidya and Arun.

Kumar repeated the mantra 107 times in his mind and for the 108<sup>th</sup> time he said the words aloud. He should have learnt the correct intonation and modulation from the audio rendering of the Vedic mantra.

When his bass voice echoed against the walls of the room tears started flowing even from Kamla’s closed eyes.

They were not mere words; having been uttered several millions of times over several thousands of years they had become powerful pesticides capable of perfectly annihilating the pests of negative thoughts within a ten-mile radius.

Shrir-varchasva-maayushyamaarogyam
    Aaa-vidaat-shobamanan- maheeyate
    Dhaanyam dhanam pashum bahu-putra-laabham
    Sadha-samvat-saram deergha-maayuhu

He rendered it slowly savouring the meaning of each word.

Wealth, bodily lustre, long life, perfect health, auspicious happenings, greatness, all forms of wealth including grains, gold and cattle, lots of children and a long life extending up to a hundred years to enjoy these bounties – may we blessed with all these.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  4. varalotti

Part 4!

When Kumar and Kamla opened their eyes they were surprised to see Vidya prostrating at their feet. She should have been in that state for quite some time. Kamla lifted her and made her sit by her side.

Kumar was talking gently to Vidya.

“The Universe that surrounds us is very receptive, my child. Any thought, any wish even the slightest disturbance in our mind will be picked up by the Universe and acted upon.

“But don’t worry. Whatever negative thoughts your words expressed will be more than cancelled by the mantra which I have been telling 108 times.”

Unable to bear that kind of parental affection Vidya was silently crying.

Kamla went inside for a few minutes and brought hot chocolate drink for all the three which act of kindness restored normalcy in the room.

They sipped the hot drink in perfect silence.

Kamla resumed the conversation.

“Having the marriage straightaway is a wonderful suggestion, Vidya. But the time is too short. Can you fix some temple as the venue for the marriage?”

“There’s no need, Ma. Its ages since I have been to a temple. I worship God; I love Him. But temples.. well, they have never been my cup of tea.

“The room where I am keeping Arun’s pictures and where I go every day to talk to him is to me the ultimate temple of love.

“Whatever place you and Pa are there for the time being, that’s the holiest temple on earth to me. That room of love and your presence – I challenge you, you can’t find a holier shrine than this.”

“God bless you, my child. Kamla do you remember that Arun said almost the same thing when you wanted him to believe in some God?”

“Yes, I do.”

“What did he say, Ma?”

“Vidya, you should hear it in his own words. I will play the recorder for you sometime.”

“Thanks, Ma.”

“Vidya, I think we are booked on the Sunday morning flight to Chennai. Are we planning to have the marriage before that?”

“No way, Ma. I have already cancelled your tickets. We can go back to <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region> together on Wednesday. Please Ma, Please pa. After the marriage I want all the four of us stay together for a few days in <st1:country-region><st1:place>Singapore</st1:place></st1:country-region>.”

“Why do you want us to be there with you, intruding into the privacy of the newlyweds?”

“No, Ma. We are not young things longing for privacy. I am sure Arun and I are going to be happy. Seeing our happiness, you and Pa will be very happy.

“And it will be the ultimate happiness for us to see you like that. We will go round the city together, eat out in the best restaurants in Singapore together, shop in Musthafa till our legs ache.

“I will be the first one to get up in the morning. I will prepare coffee for all the three of you and gently wake you up. I am going to cook in the mornings. Evenings we’ll go out to eat. I will take orders from you, Ma.

“You should sit in the kitchen and order me around. Arun should taste my sambar and shout at me, ‘Oh, Vidya, it’s awful. When are you learning to cook properly?’ I have my dreams, Ma. Quite a lot of them. Please Ma, you and Pa will have to be there with us.”

““But you two should be planning your honeymoon soon after the marriage.”

“No, Ma. First we’ll have a reception in <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region> and let me live with Arun for a few months. And then we will come here to this flat for our honeymoon. I lived in this flat for four years in utter loneliness constantly thinking about Arun.

“I am going to live with him at least for a month here in this flat. I have extended the lease of this apartment till that time. ”

“Looks like you have planned everything to a t. Kumar and I do not have the heart to go against your wishes. Sometime tomorrow I’ll call my Secretary and reschedule my appointments”

5. varalotti

Part 5!

Wednesday. 9 AM.

KT Publications was buzzing with activity. Sethuramalingam had already come.

The editors were busy with the manuscripts. The sales office was tracking orders, payments and deliveries.

Naren’s Toyota Corolla entered the premises by <st1:time minute="1" hour="9">9:01</st1:time>.

Naren went to his room and after a minute’s silent prayer studied the day’s work schedule. In another fifteen minutes he rescheduled all his work to another day.

He was going to dedicate the whole day for Arun. To co-ordinate his travel, to do what Kamla has requested him to and to buy gifts for Arun.

He prepared a detailed plan of action for the day on his laptop and then took a print-out.

He went to his father’s cabin.

“Hi Dad!”

“Come on in Naren.”

“I want to take today off, Dad.”

“By all means, Naren. You have been working continuously for the past several months without a break.

“I have been thinking of gifting you a European Holiday Package. Three weeks .Best of Europe Plan. My friend in SOTC has designed it.”

“Thanks Dad. Give me some time. I will sit with your friend and discuss the deal.”

“As you please.”

“Dad, I have good news for you. Our Arun is getting engaged at <st1:country-region><st1:place>Singapore</st1:place></st1:country-region>. The girl is a chartered accountant working for a Big Four Audit Firm in <st1:country-region><st1:place>Singapore</st1:place></st1:country-region>. Arun is going to <st1:country-region><st1:place>Singapore</st1:place></st1:country-region> tonight. Want to go out to do some shopping for him.”

“Then you are not taking the day off, Naren. You are on duty. And that’s the most precious duty you can do for the company. Whatever you buy for Arun please charge it to the company’s account.

“And have some place in the box for I want to add some traditional gift items too. I am now going out to buy those items. I am as happy as if you are getting engaged.”

Naren was moved by his father’s munificence and was looking for words to thank him.

“Anything else, Naren? I have to go out now to buy my gifts. I need to finish my shopping before the Rahukaalam sets in by <st1:time minute="0" hour="12">12 Noon</st1:time>.”

“I want your car along with the driver in the evening for airport transfers.”

“Done.”

“Thanks, Dad. Have a great day.”

“You too, Naren.”

6. varalotti

Part 6!

Naren went back to his cabin. Arun was flying in by the Indian Airlines flight. Naren called the airline to know about the expected departure time.

It was at 345 PM. They did not expect any delays.

Nevertheless Naren called his travel agents and asked them to block tickets for Arun in Jet Airways and King Fisher flights that left <st1:City><st1:place>Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> immediately after the Indian Airlines’ flight. He did not want to take chances.

By the time he finished shopping for Arun it was three in the afternoon. He had a mini-lunch at the T.Nagar Saravana Bhavan.

When he returned to his office there was a large parcel on his table marked “With Love to Arun – From Sethuramalingam and Naren”

With the help of his assistants he neatly packed the items into the two new Samsonite boxes. He marked one box as KK and the other as SN.

Not wanting to take chances with the Chennai traffic he left his office by 4 30 with his father’s car trailing behind.

7. varalotti

Part 7!

The Indian Airline’s flight from <st1:City><st1:place>Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> touched Kamaraj Domestic Terminal of Chennai at <st1:time minute="0" hour="18">6 05 PM</st1:time>.

Naren saw a beaming Arun coming out of baggage claim followed by Marimuthu. Arun left his trolley and came forward to hug Naren.

“Thanks, Naren. The arrangements were perfect. Never in my life have I enjoyed travelling this much.”

“No sweat, Arun.”

Naren then greeted Marimuthu and enquired his welfare.

“Marimuthu, you may go home in Dad’s car. You know the vehicle, right? Yes the same silver grey Ford Fiesta. Logu is there.”

“Naren, I’ll also go in the car and get myself dropped at my place.”

“No, Arun. You are not going to the city at all. Arun, please place your luggage in Marimuthu’s trolley. Marimuthu let this remain in Dad’s car. I’ll have it delivered to Arun, later.”

Arun and Marimuthu looked puzzled.

“Where am I going, Naren?”

“To <st1:country-region><st1:place>Singapore</st1:place></st1:country-region>. Your flight is at 11 15.”

“But Naren, I’m damn tired. Why can’t I take rest for a few days and then start the campaign afresh?”

“This is not a campaign. This is regarding Dr.Kamla’s problems. You know she’s in <st1:country-region><st1:place>Singapore</st1:place></st1:country-region> now.

“PWC wanted some crucial documents which I have placed in two boxes. And your presence is needed by PWC to complete the paperwork.”

“But .. Naren..”

“I have booked you in the Singapore Airlines flight. Business class. You’ll have a comfortable journey. Dr.Kamla insisted that you will have to be there by tomorrow morning. Or else…”

“If she requires me then there is no question. Marimuthu you start editing the chapters I have given you. I’ll try to complete the remaining chapters soon.”

Marimuthu took leave of Arun and Naren.

8. varalotti

Part 8!

“What do we do now, Naren?”

“I have completed the check-in formalities. Your baggage has been scanned and checked in. You can carry this as your hand baggage.

“This contains your dresses for two, three days and essential toiletries. There’s also a cover which you will have to hand over to Dr.Kamla.

“We’ll have dinner together here in the Airport. Do you want to talk to anybody, Arun?”

“I don’t have anybody in Chennai now except you, Naren.”

And then suddenly he remembered.

“Yes, Naren. I want to call Karthik and congratulate him. I heard that he has won the Sahitya Academy Award for translation this year.”

Naren’s face was expressionless.

“Can’t it wait for a few more days? I am not sure how he will respond to your greetings.”

“No, Naren. He’s a nice guy and will be very happy if I call him. But I don’t have his contact number. Looks like he has changed his mobile number. Can you get his new number, please?”

“Sure.”

Naren knew Karthik’s publisher. So he could get his number in no time.

9. varalotti

Part 9!

“Karthik here.”

“Congratulations Karthik. You made it. This is Arunkumar.”

Karthik knew that Arun had forgiven him and had taken enormous strain to shield him. But he never expected that Arun would talk to him as if nothing had happened.

Forgetting a wrong done requires a hundred times more intense love than merely forgiving it. There was a mild tremor in Karthik’s voice.

“I.. I.. … I am sorry, Arun. Terribly sorry for what I did at the airport. Tell me where you are right now. I will come there and fall at your feet to beg your pardon for what I have done.”

“Come on, yar. Don’t be thinking what happened in some previous life. This is a happy moment and we should celebrate it sometime.”

“Seeing you in person will be the greatest celebration for me. Tell me where you are.”

“I’m in the airport. Going to <st1:country-region><st1:place>Singapore</st1:place></st1:country-region> for an urgent work. My publisher, Naren, does not even let me go into the city.”

Arun winked at Naren.

“I tell you Arun, you’re blessed with a real gem of a publisher. Naren is more than a brother to you. Say hello to him on my behalf.”

“Will do it buddy.”

“And when you come back please let me know. One of your items is with me now. I need to return it to you.”

“You mean Iravathi Karve’s book, Yungantha? There’s no hurry, Karthik. And I have a spare copy.”

“It’s not the book Arun. It’s the Award that I won recently. It belongs to you and it should be at your place.”

Arun could not speak for a while. Then he wanted to cheer up Karthik.

“Don’t be formal yar. It’s your award. And you deserve it.”

“No, Arun. It belongs to you. But for you I would not have got it. When I get the award for a second time I’ll keep it at my place.”

Arun switched the topic.

“Now tell me what are you working on?”
    “Another translation work. The original work is by one Mr. Chand. He’s a terrific guy, Arun. He has written a wonderful love story. I would say that it is as good as your Unrequited Love.

“Suddenly from out of the blue they landed up here and gave me the work. You know they gave me a blank cheque for the work. I am yet to fill up the amount.”

Arun remembered Chand and R.K.Lal. After they left on that day Arun had called Chand on his mobile to tell him not to tell Karthik that it was Arun who recommended his name. Arun was not sure of Karthik’s reaction at that time and hence that precaution.

Naren showed his watch to Arun to tell him that there was not much time left.

“I am very happy for you, Karthik. I heard that it is a great work. And you are the right guy to do it. You were talking about winning an award for the second time.

“This work is sure to get that for you. Best of luck. Nice talking to you, Buddy. I need to run now. See you.”

“Nice talking to you too, Arun. Bon Voyage. See you soon.”

10. varalotti

Part 10!

Naren took Arun to the Cafeteria at the Airport. They ordered finger chips, cakes and coffee.

As they were waiting for their order to be served, Arun held Naren’s hands and thanked him.

“You did it, Naren. I heard that you got the right person to help Dr.Kamla and she is now perfectly out of danger. I owe you one, my dear friend.”

“You don’t owe me anything, Naren. I am happy I could be of help. And that too to a good lady. After all I did nothing. It was that brilliant lady working for PWC Singapore who did the trick.”

“Was there enough money in my account to pay the expenses? If it is not enough I will have to ask an advance from you for A LOVE STORY and pay it back to you. I don’t have any other money.”

“There’s no need for it, Arun. I don’t know why, but PWC waived its entire fees. They even wired back the advance I sent to them. Dr Kamla is with them and perhaps she will be able to tell you why PWC behaved in that weird fashion.”

“That’s real good news, Naren.”

“I have another good news for you. I have registered the Velachery property in your name. They will be delivering the completed apartment within two months. It could not have come at a better time.”

Naren said the last sentence in a deliberately low voice.

“What did you say?”

“I just told you that I registered it at an auspicious time.”

Naren handed over the boarding pass, the passport and the tickets to Arun.

Arun hugged Naren, took leave of him and joined the long line for Immigration Check.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008