1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A LOVE STORY - Episode 1

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Jul 14, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks a lot Devika Mol. Ever since I wrote HE for ILites, I have been adopting this screenplay technique. I imagine myself as the Director of the film and then go by a frame by frame description. I find this technique quite useful. I am able to achieve taut description of the scene and am able to bring in visualisation.

When I wrote HE people started debating which actor should play which role. I think very soon a similar debate will be there for ALS as well.
    Let me kick-start the debate. I'd love to have Ajith (not the present day Ajith but the Ajith in Amaravathi, Vaali or more precisely Kaadhal Kottai - Ajith 10 years back in time) for Arun Kumar and none else than Kushboo for Kamla.

Devika, since you talked about the many parts I need to explain the background. Last year in a brotherhood dinner we were served mini adais. (In fact I gave this idea to our Chitvish who started implementing it ) Adai, as you know is the second cousin of Dosai. They served small adais, mini adais about 3 to 5 cms in diameter. They were delicious. People were eating by the dozens. When you see a large conventional Adai people are afraid whether they will be able to devour one full adai. With mini adais people were eating something equivalent to two, three conventional-sized adais without realising it.

In the same way I am serving my serials. This is actually a 3400 word episode. And I made that into 9 mini-adais of 350-400 words each. I normally conclude a part when the scene shifts either in terms of place, time or intensity.

Thanks for those kind words. Hearing such kind, affectionate words of praise, I am now wondering how am I going to deliver the second episode, with equal fervour. SHE is kind enough to show me the way.
    thanks once again,
    love,

2. indhusri

indhusri Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sridhar ,
    Really I loved the first episode of “ The love story “ – you should believe me , ok ?
    Simply doing nothing , thinking nothing & letting our thoughts float freely as they want to is perfect ‘ meditation ‘ . Kamla’s adhering to this nice principle before starting her day's work adds one more feather to her very nice character ! Her very first entry is amazing ! I was wondering in what way this cab driver is connected with the story – but you told us beautifully what kind of a person , kamla is through that simple cab driver whose mind was filled with impotent anger . :goodidea:

“love requires the acceptance of other person which your ego would never let you do. “ - lovers & couples should always remember these golden words of yours ( of course kamla’s ) !

– The words you ‘ve chosen are very apt to express the peak of excitement she got !

Arun has been portrayed as a likable & a lovable character . No wonder kamla just melts for him -her motherly instincts being aroused by him . His words show that he has the ability to judge people thoroughly – but still … what is the reason for his depression ? – curious to know soon Sridhar …
    Mr . Kamla , sorry , Mr . Kumar ‘s way of enjoying his retired life is superb ! I have a small doubt now – who is the heroine - Priya or vidya ? ….. ok . ok let me wait patiently …

By the way , one small complaint ( ? ) about you , Sridhar : You describe the appearance of all your heroes in such a way that all the readers ( not all……. except one innocent Ilite ..hi hi hi ! ) fall in love with him ! ( am I right , lalitha ? )

I think you are fond of ‘ font ‘ size ( you’ve used it twice in this episode ! ) ! funny comment - enjoyed it !

Awaiting the next episode EAGERLY !( bold -font size 5 ! )

Love ,
    Indhu.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  3. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

An impressive opening !!

Dear Sridhar sir,

You've opened the new serial with a bang ! I read it one shot...though it appeared to be long, never realised when I finished it..and quite disappointed to see that it was over !

Loved the way, you've introduced the character Kamla where she seems to be "on the job" during her drive too...(since her controlled agression seemed to have a therapeutic effect on the cab driver ) ! Awesome opening !

{ This reminded me of the incident today morning when I was driving in the freeway. Me, being the cautious driver, was driving in the rightmost lane ( in the specified speed limit). Out of the blue, a car cut right in front of me, then weaved in and out of the other lanes too ! Needless to say, the driver did not bother to switch on the indicators !

Luckily, I took my foot off the gas and narrowly escaped hitting the other car ! So, even safe drivers, at times, become victims of road rage for no reason ! }

Coming to your story, the whole narration seemed to happen right in front of me and I could clearly visualise/picturize Kamla,Rao and Arun Kumar.

I was a wee bit surprised that Kamla had the habit of becoming emotionally attached to her patients (being a psychiatrist). I don't know why I imagined her to be more composed (though that's what she portrays outside) and neutral. Probably, women are born with the maternal instincts and exhitbit it in some way, no matter what profession they enter into...:)

Also, loved the comparison of "thoughts" and "words" with "font size" ! Wow....being a writer, probably you could relate to that ! Splendid !

Interesting hero with a rare mix of good looks, raw emotions and talent ! What next?

Why is he depressed? Is he for real or faking it? Cause appearences can be deceptive !

Waiting for your next episode...

Regards
    Krithika

4. Sowparnika

Sowparnika Silver IL'ite

hi sridhar sir,

i was waiting up yesterday night till about 10 AM indian time to see if the serial was posted...i then gave up and hit the sack...i guess u have shortly after then... :)
    well, there are a lot of things i want to tell, but don't know where to begin.....

the beginning, to begin with, was super racy...i could see the irate cab driver in his road rage....you won't believe this, but yesterday night, just as i was waiting to see if you had posted the serial, i was randomly browsing to see old posts of yours...and thanks to CV's index, i saw that episode on HIV Thanga Vettai....
    and the first lines this morning i see are about this cab driver...
    i am guessing that the impotent anger of the cabbie was inspired to some extent by this HIV Thanga vettai episode....

Kamla is of course very well personified...a woman of substance, who has her head on her shoulders...btw, you dragged not just Kamla, but Kumar too into your story ! psychology always interests me, and am eager to see more of Kamla the psychiatrist,and more so of Kamla the friend....
    a friend who admires you, thinks of you like a kid, and is capable of giving you strong counsel, is the greatest treasure one can have in life...i'm happy for Arun...
    Kamla's words to Arun really melted my heart... i'm sure she'll make a great friend to Arun...
    and i can't agree more when she says that Arun should have atleast one lady friend in whom he can confide...somehow, i feel everyone should have a good friend in the opposite sex - this is one thing which will help us see ourselves better, in a different light, and makes us more complete...infact, i feel people with good friends in the opposite sex are better equipped to handle relationships in love and marriage....

and yes, by starting your serial in Cenotaph Road, you've brought back a lot of fond memories for me...oh, how many thousands of times i would have gone up and down those roads.... :)
    and the building on cenotaph lane....i don't know if you had any specific building in mind, but i was immediately reminded of the building there which has E&Y's office.... :)

now, of course, am all eager to know what is weighing down poor Arun's heart...and its going to be a difficult wait till the next episode... :) :)
    way to go, sridhar sir...your words have us gripped, already !

5. Sowparnika

Sowparnika Silver IL'ite

and of course,
    i love both these choices... :)
    esp the Ajith ten years back...for me its Aasai Ajith, singing konja naal poru thalaivaa... :) :)
    and who better than khushboo to play a strong woman of substance...

6. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Imagination....

Sowpar, somehow, I imagined actor Siddharth (from Rang de basanti ) as Arun and actress Radhika as the pyschiatrist :). Of course...to each his own...for imagination knows no bounds...am I right sridhar sir? :)

7. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar sir,

Really fabulous write up !!! Wonderful start! Enjoy reading in one shot..... :wow

You are a gifted writer, I say .... Beautiful narration - I could visualize the driver's irritation, speeding Honda over Indica and Kamla watching the Arun in her monitor, Bhavani cleaning, ....... etc. Wow !! :hatsoff

Sir, I really enjoyed reading all the episodes.. Also, I admired the style of your writing (flow of thoughts) and the way you compared "thoughts" with the "font size", amazing !!! :hatsoff

Hats off to you and your wonderful writing .Bow

8. Vidya Arun

Vidya Arun Senior IL'ite

Dearmost Sridhar

The story line is ineffable. Kamla's soothing words bewitched my heart. The way you have putforth the resplendence of Kamla in the first few lines are brilliant.

The cab driver who had close to two hundred thousand kilometres of cross-country driving on his log had never seen such a perfect exhibition of controlled aggression.

He was outsmarted, outmaneuvered and practically bullied, the consequences of his own road rage. Paradoxically the aggression had a therapeutic effect on him. He was now pacified and at the next traffic light he stopped his vehicle by the side of Honda, curious to have a look of admiration at the wonderful driver.

The way Kamla beguiled arun's trust was exceptionally portrayed.

Arun's ingress was brillaint and my DH Arun is all proud about your delineation about his charm and charateristics. None other than you can pen this so eloquent.

As Indhu mentioned i think you are really impressed by the FONT SIZE....There is always something new that you bring forth and this time the lighter part was your stress on the font size..You have your style Sridhar and you are mind blowing in it.

I read the story twice before posting a response..The emotions and expressions were impeccable Sridhar that i felt like reading it a couple of times.

Now too many questions running all over my head....Why is my hero out of mood..why in tears..What is our Dear Dr.Kamla's next steps.....

Waiting agog for Vidya entry and also to read the next episode.......Loved every bit of it so far....

A wonderful start Sridhar and good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Love
    Vidya

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  9. varalotti

Dear Mindian,
    thanks for the nice words. There were actually 9 parts Mindian.
    I am happy that you liked all the characters.
    Kamla loves Arun and Arun loves Kamla. But they are not lovers. It's a love between a mother and her son.
    Then what about Arun's love, you may ask. Stay tuned Mindi and you will know that soon.
    love,

10. varalotti

Dear Lalitha,
    thanks a lot for your kind words. I thought of writing this response a little later. But I did want you to read this on your special day, 15th July. Hence I prioritized responding to you.
    I dont want to present my story as a book. I want it to be seen as a movie. You know in Dasavatharam the opening scene was very captivating. That was why I had been working hard on the opening scene for weeks.
    Only the cars of old days would take some time for the engine to set and get heated. The new generation cars come with pre-set engines. You can now drive a brand new Maruthi SX4 straight at 100 kms speed and even climb a steep hill.
    Should not a serial do what a car can do?

I will blame you only if you do not fall in love with this Arun. Because I have been giving my blood and sweat to ensure that every one falls in love with him. You see even my wife has fallen in love with him.

Don't worry, Lalitha. You will have something to say for very episode. I know you are a very creative and a sensitive person. So when you read the other episodes, even if they are not that good, you'd have something to tell. Looking forward to your comments in every episode.
    thanks once again, Lalitha.
    love,