1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A lil different and very shocking life

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by shobhamumbaikar, Apr 7, 2015.

1. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

:drowning

Poor mother ...

In Finland only the father (or other appointed Support person like sister, friend or professional doula) are allowed to the delivery room. No-one can wait outside. . You stay usually 1-2 hours after delivery in the delivery room and then you are taken to the "normal" hospital ward. Friends and family are allowed to visit there during visiting hours.

2. CrayoNess

It really depends on what kind of help you need. If you need practical help (cleaning, cooking, shopping groceries&baby stuff) husband and friends are better (and professional cleaning). For the emotional support the husbands support is the most important but of course also relatives and friends. If there is a serious complication you will anyway stay in the hospital for quite long time so plenty of time then to get people coming if support is needed after that.

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

CrayoNess, I give up. :) You say "get hired help" and "relatives can then fly in" so easily.

Hired help is not lining up outside. Hiring help is itself an art. Then by the time that help learns how to make sambhar, baby is ready for preschool. :) Relatives cannot just buy a ticket online and "fly in" - there are little things like visa, medical insurance, packing suitcases... In most households in India, the house is very rarely "locked" for days. That means they have to arrange for someone reliable to come in every other day. They cannot drop everything and fly at a moment's notice like from NYC to SFO.

"Friends" - in foreign land, they are the family you don't have, the shoulder you lean on and the extra pair of hands you call upon when moving :) But, for help during daytime in weekdays - how much can they help? They also have jobs. And not all friends are so close as to help you with literally everything. Such friendships take time, and not all have stayed long enough in a place to make such friends.

yes, pregnancy and childbirth are natural occurrences, and women are known to pause work in fields, give birth and get back to work. I forget what is my point!

4 people like this.
  4. tarasharma

tarasharma Gold IL'ite

@Crayoness

Not all Indian males are comfortable handling the baby, taking care of the baby and doing the zillion other household chores. Its almost certain that mother or MIL will be present for the first delivery.

5. CrayoNess

Indian males have some different genetic setup?

1 person likes this.
  6. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Pregnancy and childbirth is the same for every woman irrespective of nationality as you rightly say. However the circumstances of birth and post-partum activities differ. Childbirth in a highly industrialised country with state of the art hospital facilities is usually a cakewalk. However the lack of such facilities usually means a tug of war between life and death when complications occur.

All of India especially rural areas does not have access to qualified doctors. Midwives, experienced womenfolk are the ones who actually deliver babies. These women help all pregnant women with delivery. Someone is boiling water, a few hold the mom-to-be 's legs and hands (there is no anaesthesia, most city hospitals do not provide epidural!), someone is massaging - you do need a little army!

Then the post-partum part. I know its pretty common for people in US and other countries to eat food cooked days and months ago, stored in the freezer. Frozen food is not the norm in India. Everyone eats freshly cooked food. The new mom eats special food that is freshly prepared specially for her. You need someone knowledgeable to do this. Then there is oil massage for the baby, oil massage for the mom. Hired help is difficult to come by in cities or in US for this. Usually they are very ignorant.

Parents or in laws who come in to help take care of grandchildren do not pop store bought food from the freezer into the oven! Every meal is cooked from scratch. Anyone familiar with Indian cooking knows how much of an effort that is. In addition they are cooking special meals for the new mom, singing lullabies to the baby, giving him a bath (not just dunking in a tub!). A loving oil massage takes anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. And yes we do not apply oil after bath, its done before the bath. So you see, there is plenty of work happening in a new-born's home. The mom and dad cannot handle it on their own.

Alvin Toffler in Future Shock says one of the most important shock absorbers into the future will be the Family. Family support and network is one of the most enduring aspects of collectivist cultures. Its a gift that is cherished by the giver and the recipient. India still has this gift.

4 people like this.
  7. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

first of all normally parents/in-laws dont come for help for months...usually help is required for a month or so...after that its parents wish whether they stay or not...
    people who r living in foreign land there parents go for normally 6 months as normally 6 mths visa is granted...so they take the opportunity to see the foreign land also...

if parents/in-laws really wants to help and they have not come just for the sake of showing the soceity then they prove really helpful...
    some MILs just come but doesnt want to help they really create havoc in DILs life at this delicate time...you can see many live examples in this forum...

baby birth or no baby borth parents/in-laws live with us for months....its not invading in privacy in indian culture this is the norm...so we dont feel odd at the time of baby birth that someone is living with us for so long...
    many couples live with parents/in-laws only...

baby birth is also one of the obligation for grandparents...this is as important for them as their kids birth itself...
    help or no help...grandparents come at the time of baby birth and couple cant say no to them (i never wanted my in-laws to come to my house at this time as they create nuisance and created hell lot of trouble for me..but i had no option to say no to them as they are the grandparents they also have right to bond to their grandkid)
    as bonding of couple with baby is important ...so is for grandparents in india...

8. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

its not different genetic setup...its different mental set up :)...

1 person likes this.
  9. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Exactly.
    Like Rih says, I give up. CN is arguing for sake of argument :)
    So, no win.

10. CrayoNess

No :D

I am only so lost what is this "help" needed when you get a baby. Assuming we are talking about hospital delivery, living in a household with fridge/freezer and no major complications.

I feel for those new mothers having to stand up having inlaws/parents coming for weeks/months. And for those grandparents having to live in someone elses home for weeks/months.