1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A lil different and very shocking life

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by shobhamumbaikar, Apr 7, 2015.

1. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

6 people like this.
  2. shobhamumbaikar

shobhamumbaikar Gold IL'ite

yes, i think i get the point. It is bad on her part to expect that her parents should take abuse. But i was feeling for her, mainly because all the tough time we women go through during pregnancy and delivery, we see our parents as only hope. I was just thinking the situation of some one who did not even have that. They came but not before blaming her or her dh for taking their help for granted. The same blame she got from her ils. It is peoples' words at the time of crises that lingers in mind.

but as for their giving it back to her ils when they were together i absolutely agree that they have done the right thing. I wish my parents did the same.

So for the time being i will suggest her to forget both the parents as of now and just concentrate on her own life with her dh and baby. Thanks

3. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

This is something I do not understand. Pregnancy and delivery are part of normal life and mostly very exciting experiences. And isn't the husband the person you turn to in these kind of situations? There are two capable adults (the new mother and father) in the family, why would they need help from outside (asking their parents)?

4. coolgal123

crayoness, in India men didnt use to be expert in taking care of new born babies...it is considered that old ladies of the family are experienced in handling new borns as they have handled many before....so they are supposed to help the new born and new mother....also special food used to get cooked by old ladies for new mother which was supposed to be having medicinal properties and help new mother recover....moreover a generation ago (my parents genneration) kitchen and babies work was not considered as man's duty...it used to be the woman's dept...

so it was the tradition that mother in law or parents or some other old lady used to take care of new mother and new baby....it is considered their duty....like taking care of our old parents completely is children duty in india...

now these traditions are changing...husbands taking part in taking care of wife and baby ....many people living abroad handles child birth alone...but still most of the time some or the other person is there to help the new parents...this is quite common and nothing unusual in it in india...
    but as this tradition is still prevalent in india...so most of the parents specially at the time of first born are really worried to handle baby alone as they think themselves as inexperienced...it is in our mind that only experienced people can handle the baby....in india normally you dont get classes for handling baby where husband wife both goes to learn...

5. CrayoNess

You do not have child care classes in the delivery hospital or part of the prenatal training?

In old days men often had to act as midwives as the distances long and not always possible to get help. Neighbors helped by bringing ready cooked food.

New parents are of cource inexperienced but how much valid experience would an old lady have after 20+ years since last time saw a baby.

2 people like this.
  6. coolgal123

now big cities of india having prenatal classes...i dont know if they have child care classes or not as i havnt attended any....you will hardly see any couple handling childbirth alone in india... child caring classes must not be a hit in india as it is not required due to family support system...

in india this department is always handled by woman....still women dont prefer to goto male gynaecologist...even husband are hushed away from the room where new mother takes rest :)....traditionally husband cant sleep in same room with the new mother for 40 days...but yes this is changing now...

in india a generation ago ...families were joint and big...there is culture of offering help on arrival of a baby...once you have your children you are qualified to offer help...so normally it doesnt happen that a lady doesnt get to handle a new born after her own kids...babies used to take birth at some or other relative place :)....in ur culture people leave parents n baby alone to bond..but in our culture your every relative wants to spend some time with the new born :)...

although now it is true to some extent that exp of old lady becomes obselete...hence lots of friction occurs when old mil wants to have her own old way with the baby ...which is not appropriate as per new guideline given by the paed. :)

7. CrayoNess

It is a very fascinating topic (different traditions around child birth, rarely documented in any history books). But somehow this that a woman needs to be taken care of during pregnancy and labor (and you need an army of MILs, parents etc :D) sounds strange. Pregnancy is not a disease and you can live normally, recovering from delivery takes a few days and baby care is not a rocket science (and the basic stuff like bf is supported in the hospital).

8. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Its actually not that surprising that traditional Indian ways sound strange to a Scandinavian. In fact, I'd be surprised if it was not sounding strange to you.

9. CrayoNess

I assume that pregnancy/delivery is the same physical process in Scandinavia, India, South America and Greenland. Or is it so that indian pregnancies are somehow special and that is why the whole army of relatives are required?

6 people like this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

CrayoNess, after living away from parents for donkey's ears, and as life would have it, no "help" at any major milestone starting from teen years, and having lived life like any typical western couple, I agree and advocate what you say.

But, we have to keep in mind the mental makeup. When I realized it would be just us two and our first-born, I just panicked. It was unthinkable to manage without help. I even had my DH promise that right after delivery when they take the baby away for the basic newborn testing, he would go with the baby, and not remain with me. It was very tough the first two days. The hospital food - watery soup and a sad looking chicken piece, and the jello... had me in tears.

Of course, we managed, and bonded, and the baby going to NICU etc - us not sleeping for days.. it worked out well. I almost added the nurses and doctor in my will. :)

But, it *is* Indian culture and way of life to have help from family and relatives for major milestones and events.

We don't have such help, and have become very DIY, "privacy", "independence", "share on a need to know basis" and all the nice things western culture has... but I can't forget as a twenty-something yearning for familiar food, and some help in the bathroom (dh busy with baby), and how acutely we missed family.

3 people like this.