1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A life in reverse!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 17, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sathya
    Vaanavil iyarkayin magizhchiyana
    oru neram andro?
    Pinn en indha sogha smiley
    Endru adhai mel nokki
    Valaithen! :)
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  2. chitrajan

chitrajan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sri,

A very well written piece -- I wonder how many of us think of the different stages in life. We just take our presence for granted in life and expect that all things happen as and when we reach the stages.

3. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Dear cheeniya,
    A very interesting post. It reminds me of HG Well's time machine which i read inmy school days loooog back. Then I use to wish I could race forward in time into the unknown future. Your post makes me think of going back to the early stages perhaps to rectify mistakes and become a nobler soul!
    Regards,
    Meenu

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Cheeniya,

A different one and it made me think. But then to live life in reverse- is it the same as living life in retrospect? Will the wisdom of experience make us more aware and mellowed?

I liked your similie of life is akin a rainbow. There is a Yiddish proverb( of course, I read it in English:) )- it says that life is like a rainbow, so sad the pot of gold is at the end. I always felt that in our life times the pot of gold is at the beginning- our childhood with parents and still behind in the cold, snug confines of the womb. Am reminded here of the Queens song, mother ,take me back into your womb.

Vidya

PS: Thanks for lengthening my reading list. After my parents and Sr.Bernice,you have given me the most titles.Nandri.

5. Cheeniya

Dear Chitra
    What you ay is very much like the core teaching of Jiddu Krishnamurthi.
    Listen to what he says:
    We think that living is always in the present and that dying is something that awaits us at a distant time. But we have never questioned whether this battle of everyday life is living at all. We want to know the truth about reincarnation, we want proof of the survival of the soul, we listen to the assertion of clairvoyants and to the conclusions of psychical research, but we never ask, never, how to live - to live with delight, with enchantment, with beauty every day. We have accepted life as it is with all its agony and despair and have got used to it, and think of death as something to be carefully avoided. But death is extraordinarily like the life we know how to live. You cannot live without dying. You cannot live if you do not die psychologically every minute. This is not an intellectual paradox. To live completely, wholly, every day as if it were a new loveliness, there must be dying to everything of yesterday, otherwise you live mechanically, and a mechanical mind can never know what love is or what freedom is.

I cant say I am in complete agreement with Jiddu. It is very difficult to divest oneself from the thoughts of the past nor is it desirable but Jiddu recommends it out of his fear that if we get completely bogged down with our thoughts of the past, it would be like climbing a mountain with a mill stone tied to your legs!

Living is an art and only the liver knows the best way to accomplish it. It is his choice!
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

Dear Meenu
    How right you are! No one can claim to have a led a perfect life and mistakes are bound to be committed. If only we get a chance to go back and rectify them, how nice it would be! I agree with you that Wells' Time Machine can be put to better use to travel backwards for this purpose.

There is a quote which is also my favourite which says,
    "Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it!"
    This quote essentially extols the virtue of learning from the mistakes of our past!
    sri

7. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    A life in reverse and living in retrospect are essentially different I should think.
    A life in reverse is a fantasy like our fervant appeal to our mother, Take me back in your womb. Can there be a safer place than the mother's womb in the entire universe? Imagine the amount of favourite foods a mother gives up when she carries us in her womb out of fear that it might affect us! If I am given a chance, I would love to go back to my mother's womb!
    But ironically Hindu religion propounds various ways to free ourselves from the Cycle of Punarapi Jananam, Punarapi Maranam. The freedom from a sojourn in Garba is the thing Hindu religion strongly aims at!
    A life in retrospect is our ability to gain wisdom from the path of life we have thus far trodden. But then, as I have pointed out in another post here, scholars like Jiddu Krishnamurthi wish us to come out of such hibernation.
    It is a very tough choice nah?
    Sri

8. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sir,
    This was a master piece among your contributions! Other than this I have no words to say what sorts of emotions it stirred within me. Being a mystical person by nature, I felt as though I went through all those descriptions of yours, especially the first and the last para.

9. Cheeniya

Dear Malathi
    Thank you for your kind words. I am happy to be able to interact with someone who is prone to mysticism like myself.
    I find myself wandering into the mystical quite often but at the same time find it difficult to share my experiences with others.
    Sri

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Uuuuu.....
    That was an eerie article! A very rare process of thought, must give it to you!
    I have gone through a gamut of experiences in life which began in India and crossed some four countries. Each phase has left its impact on my life. Looking back gives me an odd feeling of passing through some hazy dreams. I prefer to stay put in the present. Will look at tomorrow when it happens.
    Feel closer to what JK expresses...what and how will thinking about yesterday help? The mistakes and experiences will catch up with me anyways...life's lessons can't simply vanish....:)..You got me into a pensive mood Cheeniya sir:)

L, Kamla