1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

A letter to Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by csaigeetha, Jun 11, 2011.

1. csaigeetha

csaigeetha New IL'ite

Dear Dr. Abdul Kalamji,

Hi. I am Pappammal. I study in VII B. My mom is a scavenger. My dad is a coolie. He drinks and doesnt come to house. So my mom does a social service of cleaning everyone's latrine and run the family.

Ramesh bayya lives in 2nd street from our house. It is a big house in that street. Sandhya, Ramesh bayya's daughter is my classmate. Ramesh Bayya calls only my mom for cleaning his toilets and always appreciate my mom's work. He says , It was Gandhijis vision for a clean India! I always dream for that and once was even told that some NGOs are working for that cause. I dream for fulfilling that vision and running a successful NGO or business in that order, as you have taught us Kalamji.

I also used to go with my mom to see how she cleans to other houses. But my mom scolds me if I go with her to Ramesh Bayya's house. She says as Sandhya and me are classmates, I should not help my mom in cleaning that toilet. I dont know why!:idontgetit:

Sandhya is my good friend. Her mother loves me so much. She gives me Horlicks whenever I go to her house. She gives me in a white glass with red flowers in it. I love that glass. Sandhya always tells that glass is just for me. I felt like a queen that time.

Yesterday when I went home, Rani bhabi (Sandhya's mom) gave me Horlicks in that cup. I shared it with Sandhya as usual. Her mom saw it and bet her nicely. I didnt know why! Today Sandhya told that her mom doesnt want her to be my friend as I am a scavengers daughter. She bet her yesterday because she shared Horlicks in my White cup. She has adviced her earlier not even to touch that cup. It has become a big issue and Ramesh bayya bet her with belt, it seems. :drowning:eek:mg:

I write this letter to you to ask you why you asked us to dream? I dreamt of being a queen but this society cut my dreams and tell that I have no rights for reality!

With love
    Pappammal

2. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai Csaigeetha,

Still now it is happening everywhere in our country. People are started showing all the difference between the children also. A nice letter to be addressed and replied. I pity
    the child.

3. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

I felt sad while i was reading this letter...true that it still happens in the country....wish that this will change soon..