1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Letter To A Son Entering University(from A Stay-at-home Mom)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by anushri, Jul 11, 2018.

1. anushri

anushri IL Hall of Fame

This is what I have been telling my other friends(who have young kids) too. Just enjoy each and every moment with the child.. Thanks to you... I feel good reading your response...

knbg and anayasree like this.
  2. anushri

anushri IL Hall of Fame

I can't thank you enough... :cry::cry: Your response also made my eyes go misty... I know this phase is difficult for me.. But I will cross it... All your responses are reassuring.. Though I have lots of friends, at this point of time IL seem to be the better place to share and get comfort... I am not burdening my friends with the same repeated crying episodes.. Thanks to everyone...

joylokhi and knbg like this.
  3. anushri

anushri IL Hall of Fame

Ok.. will keep a check... this statement is like shaking me and saying that stop this craziness... anything which crosses the limit is not good...I understand that.. But its difficult to come out of it right now... but deep down I understand that I shouldn't be suffocating my son.. will fight it...

4. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Anu dear, The feedbacks to this post itself is evident how much your words have impacted each and everyone who read your snippet. Such an expressive writing, and it was like reading a poem, I read and re-read it several times. I can't imagine how you would have felt coming back to your home, after leaving your son in college, opening the door to an empty home. All the while you were focussing and praying God for your son to get into a good college, you might not have realised how hard the separation would hit on you. The pain can be felt from your words Anu. And yes, as you have dedicated all your time in taking care of your son, you would feel lost now. Good that you wrote this post, as this brought so many great responses from our valued ILites who have gone through this phase before you. Try following them, and I am sure a bubbly cheerful person like you will find wonderful friends in no time, so you would feel stronger emotionally. Take care Anu... Looking forward to read more of your wonderful writings... :)

kkrish, knbg and anushri like this.
  5. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Awesome post, congratulations for being nominated. A worthy nomination.

I can relate and understand your feelings. It was very touching to read. I think all mother's have to go through this.

I have two daughters and one son having a difference of one year nine months. Being aworking mother used to worry a lot about my children.when they were all n school used to worry about their exams. When they were in primary during exams used to go late to office.

Used to worry about my younger daughter when she used to go for interviews. Now since eight years she is in London though she was married nearby only. Since few years working also. Thanks to modern technology we are able to keep in touch everyday. My elder daughter was in Dubai after marriage and now after 2015 she has come to Kerala her mil"s place. Since she is married to my sis in law's son we are able to meet often. My son got a job here but for some years he was in Dubai. Now though he has come here to work from home he has to go on tour often .

I keep myself busy making jewellery and through net so that my mind is occupied and my worries areless. But everyday I keep in touch with them

Sometimes feel bored without them

6. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Anu dear....
    Hugs and hats off girl...!
    Teared up reading your post from the heart. ..
    God bless your DS ....May all his dreams come true...
    Take care and this is the time to rediscover yourself...keep writing dear...!

anushri likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:With son away in hostel, you are likely to hear him more, contrary to his less listening to you when he was at closer proximity.
    2. In the prevailing silence, when he is far away you still hear his commands or commanding voice or and his singing and listening to rock music.
    3. Spotting the objects he had used that were found to lie in disarray will now be in Apple pie order, yet in the heart of heart you crave and enjoy the disorder.
    4. Some vibrations continue to constantly reverberate in your ears in middle of sleep as if he is calling.
    5.oh that is ma.
    6. Outstanding narration that would certainly wring the heart of young mothers and others who might even turn nostalgic on read and re-r ead.
    It is not
    7. TAKE MY ADVISE I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY indeed.
    8. Parents will have moments to let go grown up kids anyway it could be due to study at far off or it is their job and or their wedding that takes them Willy nilly away from parents.
    Thanks and regards.
    GOD BLESS US all always.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    anushri likes this.
  8. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

Thank you for this letter. Just want to send so much hugs to you. I know it is difficult but be strong and keep yourself busy. I think that's is the only way to survive this.

I stayed almost all my life in hostel. Never enough of staying with my Mom and her attention. Still crave for that attention. I was thinking this is how my mom must have felt after dropping me in hostel.

She is in heaven now. Life is rude at times.

anushri likes this.
  9. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

This reminds me of an article I read long back about how a son takes to life as he grows.
    Till age of 5- my mother is the best. she knows everything.
    Between 5 and 10- my mother is best but my teacher knows everything.
    Between 10 -19 - my friends mother is best, she understands me better.
    19 and above- my mother is getting dependent on me, asks me for advice.

The roles change. Today's children are independent and know a lot. They are not that emotional or do not show it.

anushri likes this.
  10. anushri

anushri IL Hall of Fame

Thanks to everyone.. Today I am happy because I am going to bring him home for the weekend.. Will reply all your messages later... Thanks for all the good words and advice... All your responses made me understand the reality and I am not alone.... Surprisingly, after sharing here I feel much better... And I am happy that my boy is also talking to me with patience... This is a transition period for me... Thanks everyone for being so considerate... more than anything for understanding me... It means a lot...
    @Shanvy your response made me feel very good(i had tears out of that extreme comfort,relief) because you understood the long distance marriage part and my health issues.... and mine is only child... literally I had made him my life...
    @Cheeniya , Thanks for letting me know that my current state of mind is not good...
    I might depend on you all till I come back to my normal self... Kindly bear with me...

shravs3 and Thyagarajan like this.