1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A lesson in gandhigiri

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by muzna, Sep 2, 2008.

1. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

A LESSON IN GANDHIGIRI:thumbsup

MITHDI HAI DOGREIN DI BOLI,
    TE KHAND MITHE LOG DOGRE.
    Sweet is the language of dogras, as sweet as their disposition.Today i am proud to be one. My Jammu people have proven the verse right.The people of Jammu have shown the whole world that they are a creed apart.Today when Klashnikov flashing agitations are common all over the world ,
    Jammu created history and has won a battle against violence. Though curfew was clamped on the city and on the adjusant areas with shoot at sight orders, it goes to the credit of the local population who
    maintained restrain. Despite killings in indiscriminate police firing the face of the agitation did not change. The rallies were largely peaceful, with people from eight to eighty years demonstrating that the time has come when the central government has to listen to thewoes of the people.
    For sixty three days it was as if we were talking to deaf people.But in the end SAYSS( Sri Amarnath Yatra Sangharsh Samiti) were able to come out with flying colours.And they did it without any support from the political parties, who were always in the wings to take over from where
    the SAYSS left.But to their dismay the samiti never gave them a chance.
    I would like to thank Sri Sri Ravi Shankar Ji who visited Jammu in August and supported the peaceful dialouge.When the govt let the matter linger for such a long time I was afraid for my Jammu ,praying to the MATA VAISHNO DEVI and SUKHRALA DEVI and the residing deities at BAHU FORT,in whom a lot of us have unflinching faith.I prayed as it was not known that how many more sixty three days were to come, and how many
    could the people take without retaliation.
    The local people took to bhajan-kirtans rather than violence as a means of agitation.These were carried out in the whole of the region's cities.Here I salute the people of all faiths that despite many outfits trying to make the agitation look communal,there was no bad blood amongst
    them. The focus was the discrimination against the region for more than sixty years.Credit goes to all religious groups that despite anti national element's try for altercations the focus never shifted.
    When i was a school-going kid, i remember my Parents talking about a relative and refered to him as "a typical old type of Jammuite". Curiously I asked what they meant. My mother told "in Jammu people
    follow the rule GIVE RESPECT TO GAIN RESPECT". Over time i had started thinking that might be due to influx of population and huge growth in population, this charachter has faded, but hey YOU ALL HAVE SHOWN THAT OLD HABITS DIE HARD, and in doing so have become an example.These are my tough Dogras who have shown through history what is their mettle.They are tough but soft and this softness in their demeanor
    underlies their conduct and personality.
    Last but not the least , salute to the SAYSS members and their leader L.K.Sharma. They never lost the focus and led people to show
    "BHAICHARA"(brotherhood) in the tough days .The idea to donate for the
    underprivileged , to save them from hunger was unique. There were free LANAGARS to feed the ones who were poor or daily wagers.The support by the trading community is laudible. Rather than hikig prices they helped the needy. Where have you earlier heard of such things. I have not.This feeling of the people to help each other in times of crises is unique and saluteworthy.
    I admire Mahatma Gandhi and believe that his non-violence has stood ground till day.It has been proven that non violence does still work well.L.K.Sharma has done for Jammu what Gandhiji did for our India...LEAD BUT NEVER ASTRAY. He turned out to be our Gandhi Iand as Dogras are meetha (sweet) so he is our very own MEETHA GANDHI.We have taught the nation and the world a lesson in Gandhigiri.
    The synopsis for the future should be-
    All Indians stay united as this always helps.Let us safegaurd our this very spirit for our children and lead them to a beautiful life. Let our life be an example in today's strife torn world and may GOD help them
    all find their owm GANDHIs to lead them.....AMEN.
    p.s.My reason not to discuss the political side of the story is that here I am not playing blame game, as it would go against the very ethos what I did discuss. Moreover I wanted to share the strenghts of my people and not someone else's weaknesses.

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Muzna
    I am seeing on TV a lot about Jammu and Kashmir. The unity of the people, hindu or muslim all come together and help each other. Even the lastest news about the kidnapping of the few people. How they were all saved.
    You have put up everything very nicely about the people of Jammu and Kashmir. I don't want to write more in detail but you have summed up well.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Muzna,

Though, lot of us say gandhigiri will not work today, time and again it gets proved that it is a method par excellence, to get things done.

Have been following everything, methinks no need to talk about politics.

I have a friend from your dogra desh. I can vouch on the baichara and give respect to gain respect. infact, she was the one who enlightened me to this beautiful state.

4. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

dear aruna
    thanks for reviewing my blog in such simple yet beautiful lines. politics is best left to politicians, as who else can do the horse trading when the nation is burning.
    i pray to god that the people of our country are able to see through them as this will only bring about the change for the better.

5. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

dear shanti
    thanks for the feed back
    and three cheers for GANDHIGIRI:2thumbsup:
    and i'm happy for the peaceful outcome.
    I have been to most prts of the country and have found that mostly the people are nice everywhere. many a times it is just the fact that we are not aware of their culture so do not understand them. i try to write of my tours for the reason that others can also know of these people, and ofcourse when I write about my area the love i have for it is obvious.

6. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hi Muzna...
    Hats off to your wonderful write up about the troubled days that Jammu faced and how delicately you have discussed about the strength of the people there and their peaceful ways...It was painful to read about the rising shortage of domestic essentials with the 60+ days of curfew...
    Yes, Gandhigiri does pay good results..
    I followed the developments there...and as rightly mentioned by you..I avoid political discussions..
    Hope to see more such piece from you...

bye

7. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Muzna this is such an eye opener and excellent writeup of whats happening at Jammu. through you I have learnt more and of the leader.. also I can appreciate your staying out of the war and politics etc. so well written that its been a honor to read this. Thank you

8. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

DEAR SARAS
    thank you so much for liking the write up. as far the scarcity thing goes,the situation was actually bad, with the ATM's having no money, petrol pumps without supply of petrol...the list is unending . but when the dawn breaks we forget how dark was the night. jis raat ki subah ho jaye woh phir raat nahin.:)

9. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

DEAR AC
    i'm honoured by your feedback.
    at a loss of words actually. during all the ruckus i used to feel as if we r all up against a wall. to keep the faith is a difficult task. at times i'd feel like sharing to lessen the pain, but i think i shared my thoughts at the right time, when the whole episode is over.
    this is all i felt during the crises.
    this time on rakhi i was unable to send rakhi to brothers and cousins as the post offices were closed, and even the snap of the rakhis i sent never reached as SMSs were blocked. and then i met jhumri -i wrote about her in my last blog entry "the final departure" i mentioned this lady who met her brther after >60 yrs but had to leave before rakhi-her plight made me realise that there is so much misery in the world that i should be thankful that i will meet my brothers again . and i spent the rakhi day prying for my brothers rather than lamenting.

10. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Muzna,
    excellent write up..came to know about Meeta Gandhi through you...
    Non-violence is the best way to get what we want..it once again proved its worth..
    as they say, truth will ultimately, so is non-violence.
    I am happy for the 'happy ending"