A helping hand where it matters.... farmer suicides....

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by winpie, May 13, 2012.

1. winpie

winpie Silver IL'ite

Farmer Suicides on my mind.....
    Just read an article that Big B gave a large sum to pay off farmer loans when he came to know that the suicidees had loans as small as Rs. 10,000. And I want to do something similar to help prevent this orphaning of entire families for such small amounts.
    This is a topic, I am sure, that festers in the back of our minds too. But we push it as far back into the recesses as we can - assuming that there is nothing we, as individuals, can do about it. Reading about this compassionate action by the B makes me think that maybe, being able to prevent just a few suicides is something we CAN do - and is definitely better than not doing anything.
    I want each one of you, who finds this topic as disturbing as me, to give me ideas about how I can do this. Life has given us a lot - we might not be rich, but we have more than enough for our needs and plenty for our wants too. I'd like to take a new step and give back something to the people who put the food on our plates.
    PLEASE DON'T JUST 'LIKE' IT - TAKE A COUPLE OF MINUTES TO WRITE DOWN AN IDEA..... DON'T WORRY IF IT FEELS LIKE A WEIRD, IMPOSSIBLE OR STUPID IDEA - OFTEN THE BEST OF THINGS EMERGE FROM SUCH BEGINNINGS.....

2. ananyanath

ananyanath New IL'ite

I too find the incident quite disturbing, but again what can be done is also a problem for me.

I suggest if we all can contribute as little as possible and create a fund, which can be donated for a good cause. Even we can accept as little as Rs. 10, but if 1000 people conribute, then the little money become a huge one, and if we can save even a single person that will be a geat achievement.

3. Vasuma09

Vasuma09 IL Hall of Fame

Well said ananyanath

4. chick

chick New IL'ite

There is a saying "Anna dhata sukhi bhava"-meaning one who donates food should be blessed. But,many tend to forget the hands that make the food.

The Indian farmer is living below the poverty line.It is not because they don't have any schemes from the government,but due to corruption,bureaucracy,politics,caste systems etc,etc and the list goes on.

We sit in the cities, watch news on TV.But, if we visit a village which does not have a school/transportation/water/electricity/hospital(doctor)/drainage facilities etc etc, we can understand how these farmers( the back bone of our country) are living. They are working hard day and night to make ends meet.Still,the money they make is not sufficient to cover their basic needs of food and clothing.

The pity thing is the WE the educated ones,along with the rest are forgetting the farmer. My advice will be Please buy from the FARMER'S MARKET and not from stores like Reliance/Spencer's/More etc etc.It is not about the Rs2 we save, but about the Rs2 which we give to the farmer.This Rs2 may not make a big difference in our lives, but makes a big difference in a Farmers life.(This system is not like what U buy from WALMART in US, as the Govt protects the farmer there.) Please think about it.
    I think atleast we can start from here. Many things can be done, but for it we have to visit the farmer and get the co-operation of the people in the villages- solar power/rainwater harvesting/natural pesticides where farmers/people can solve some of their problems with out the help of government.

1 person likes this.