1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Hairy Tale - 2

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by tuffyshri, Aug 8, 2013.

1. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

Thank you ALL for the likes, FB, encouragement and support. Sorry for not posting it yesterday... had LOT of work. (who are the smart ones to understand that I had a good Sleep!!?? :)) So here we go...

The decision was postponed to two months as the auspicious Navarathri was beginning by then. As usual I was supposed to go on a fancy dress, go over neighbours house, sing(?) or dance or just sit to view the Golus* (compare them with my house's), and most importantly get the sundal (lentils) which my brother would get angry otherwise (yeah!!). For the fancy dress I need hair. Cant I be excused for one year of navarathri?? No, you dont know my family yet. My dad is half pandit at home. For festivals, he would put a rule on first year, will completely forget it and void it the next year. Those who argue will never win against him. No wonder if they urged to get him a voluntary retirement in his office.

Sorry for the digression. Yeah so my hair cutting ceremony was invariably postponed as the very next event after navarathri is Diwali and he was not ready to answer everyone as to what happened to my hair. Dad, believe me... people would have been happier to see me cutting my hair!

During those times there were not many beauty parlours as today. My dad offered to take me to Sekhar's saloon. ew... i hated that salon. all boys and men with cigarette smell... that dirty sheets that he puts around and importantly that sekhar would put all the hair inside your mouth. I had gone there as a KG student and still hated it. The only good thing is he was having several comics to read! Luckily my resident ghost brother became an angel to refuse this idea. He stood firmly as he felt it too embarrassing to say that his sister also had a hair cut in the same salon. So my sister being an elder person offered to check with her friends for any good parlour that I could go. 'I could never go there... at least you go and let me know how is it' was her statement. See... sisters are breeze.. unlike my ghostly brother. Who would have stood upside down to ensure that I never enjoy those worldly pleasures without he being a part of it! :spin.

So meanwhile I told the whole world (yeah was like this only by then itself :thumbsup) about my hair cut and that too in a parlour and not in a salon. My two friends got excited. They wished me luck and were keen to see their new friend in a new hair style. Brave are they, I should say!

But my cutting ceremony kept on getting postponed. Diwali.. then Karthigai** and then the auspicious Marghazi*** (December) month, why so many festivals back to back oh God!! So finally during Christmas holidays (thank god we dont celebrate Christmas!) the committee allowed me to go ahead, but only cut very little. No Boy cut and all. That too only during the new moon phase then only like the moon crescent, my hair will also keep growing and not the other way. uh! sobba!! (sigh) And they didnt want any scam during Pongal time.

Meanwhile I kept dreaming about the short hair. I need not wear the stupid ribbon... need not waste time in combing. I could quickly comb myself without
    disturbing mom or sis. There was this 'Bonymix' drink and ad. not sure how many of you know about it. In that a small girl with small hair would comb stylishly and rush to drink this mix. I imagined myself like that and all.

I must have spoken so loud may be almost like a loud speaker... about the haircut... one fine evening I got shocked!!

What happened?? will cover in next! :thumbsup

* Golu - in south india, we keep the mud/plastic dolls of god and goddess in a petty stair case for all the 9 days of Navarathri. Lentils will be prepared and offered to god as prasadhams. People especially children will visit each others house, sing or put fancy dress as part of celebration. For this fancy dress, having hair is important so that you can attach wigs or do some hair styles. My favourite and the only possible God is Lord Krishna. But once my mother braved to put an Andal kondai (bun) :) Oh I can keep going on and on about Navarathri!! will write in next post probably.

** Karthigai - again celebrated widely in Tamilnadu during November time. Comes after Diwali. Not sure about other states. This one is a lamp festival for Lord Subbramanya. My favourite festival.

*** Margazhi month - is famous for Andal and ...... Pongal! slurp!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
    10 people like this.

2. Deepu04

Deepu04 IL Hall of Fame

Nice post...

1 person likes this.
  3. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

tuffy, my girl, you are proving again that you are a good writer...

waiting for the part 3 .....come soon girl....

1 person likes this.
  4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Tuffy

Nice to see you comparing your family members with these politicians....hahaha

Enjoyed reading your post. Did you cut your hair or still to cut them????? or still in your dreams......

1 person likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Tuffyshri,

Again, the second one is as good as the first one. Your dad's office gave him voluntary retirement to keep him away from work? :) Thank God, I am working for myself and no one to fire me. However, I work from home and my wife is getting tired of me interfering with her decision making every now and then. Nowadays, I am keeping myself inside my home office most of the time except to walk to the dining table to have a simple lunch.

Going back to your haircut, Your brother is a typical brother we find in every house not allowing you to go to the same saloon he used to go regularly. I am glad your elder sister found a better parlor for you. Let me keep my fingers crossed to find out what finally happened.

Note: Sleeping is an important work too and we are all busy doing that every night. :)

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  6. getstrngth

getstrngth Gold IL'ite

Enjoying your post!!! Resembles most of my life incidents :). Ok I think we both should go for a copyright, if some short film director sees this posts and plans to take it as a movie :cheers

1 person likes this.
  7. charmbabez

charmbabez Gold IL'ite

xxxxxx duplicate created xxxxx

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  8. charmbabez

charmbabez Gold IL'ite

first kudos for you tuffy for the title you choosed. I like it.
    next kudos for your narration
    I can imagine those with a smile.
    your blessed for your sense of humor even in your writing.

both hairy 1 and 2 was good so please don't make us to wait too long.

good luck.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. attitudegirl

attitudegirl Platinum IL'ite

amma taaye.... what happned to ur hair??????? [​IMG]

im giving u various options.. pls choose
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

another nice one tuffyshri.. i know about what you say..
    also i remember the Bonymix ad.. i made my parents to get that seeing it, but did not like it and did not have it even once ... and got all kinds of scoldings for that..
    now i see my daughter doing the same thing ;-)

1 person likes this.