1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Genius In the Making: The First Two Years

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by lakshmi13, Nov 13, 2011.

1. amritavarshini

amritavarshini Bronze IL'ite

dear lakshmi

really interesting post and ur suggestions are very helpful....my daughter 2 years old has a problem with sleep..she is a very active kid...but i dont know what happens in the night, even if we go to sleep early she stays awake till 1 am..i am really troubled and i have lost 15 kg due to my improper sleep...can u help me out? and now she goes to a play school nearby ( only for 3 hours in the morning)...she used to be very comfortable with people, was very social but now she needs me all the time..is she insecure?
    she loves music and has an ear for it...she is able to identify a few ragas, of course she cannot name them but she sings other songs in the same raga..is this the right time to harness that potential?

2. lakshmi13

lakshmi13 Gold IL'ite

Dear Amrita,

Since when is she going to the play school? If it is since last month, then she is taking time to adjust and therefore clinging on to you even more. Once she starts enjoying her play school (which will be soon!!) she'll be ok. The playschool will be having children of different ages and the environment being new she's taking time.

What is her sleep cycle? Does she sleep for long in the daytime? If she sleeps for more than five hours in the day time, she'll sleep late. Besides, night is the only time children find both parents at home and by their side. Start a sleep routine for her. Believe me, there will be nights when you and your spouse would have slept off and she'll sleep after you (like role reversals where the child becomes a parent!!!). Don't stay awake with her. Pretend to sleep off. And with time she'll go off to sleep. Also, try giving her warm bath (not a head bath, only body wash) followed by a glass of warm milk at night. This will help soothe her and put her to sleep.

Nice to know you are keenly observing your child. Play more of classical music in the house for her to enjoy. Also, if you can, see if there are music teachers nearby who will accept to teach small children. Else start teaching her the basics of vocal music.As they say, a mother is a child's first teacher. If she likes music, I am sure you too have a keen interest. Let me share one more interesting fact with you. A child who has an ear for music is good with numbers also. So along with music, teach her number rhymes.

Loads of love to your little musician. Give her as much exposure to music as you can now. You'll soon find her talent growing three-folds.

3. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Dear Lakshmi, you are doing a great job. I'm highly impressed with your work. Keep up the good work dear. Cheers-Anu:)

1 person likes this.
  4. lakshmi13

lakshmi13 Gold IL'ite

Dear Anukarsha

Thanks a ton for liking my post....

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lakshmi,

Congratulations on being nominated to the FP of the month for this thread by smileAlways! I can see why she was so impressed! You have provided an amazing amount of information for all the young parents. This will be a reference point for all the young mothers and fathers of our Indusladies community.

Being professionally trained, you are also answering many queiries that come your way in great detail.

I can see that you have put in a lot of effort to accumulate information, advice and individual help where necessary in this thread.

Great work Lakshmi and I am sure you will be often approached for your valuable inputs!

L, Kamla

6. amritavarshini

amritavarshini Bronze IL'ite

thank you lakshmi...yes, she has been going to the play school since a month..she sleeps for around 2 hours in the afternoon...we tried keeping her awake in the afternoon so that she will sleep early in the night but that did not work out..i give her a warm bath and a glass of milk, switch off all lights and then sing for her...but it takes a long time for her to go to sleep...hope u can understand the situation..anyway il start fresh today with ur suggestions and il get back to u..anyway thanks for the prompt reply and il definitely play lots of music for her...

one more concern..off late she is very adamant..she dislikes going to school and cries simply...and the teachers in her playschool say that she refuses to use the potty ( she is potty trained and from the age of 1 used to tell correctly when she wants to use the toilet) now she refuses to do that in the house...but no bedwetting since day one of birth..plz help

7. lakshmi13

lakshmi13 Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamala,

Thank you very much for liking my post. It is very nice of smilealways to have nominated my post. Though I joined IL in 2009 it is only now that I am active. The main reason being I was too much involved in my profession and looking after my daughter (then just a year old) with whatever balance time I had.Now I am in a comfortably senior post where the work pressure is not much. I found IL to be the perfect platform to share whatever I knew, especially about exceptional children because that is like a road less travelled.

Thank you once again, your feedback really matters as it motivates me to contribute even more :)

8. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

well said lakshmi...
    time spent with children, loved it...

9. lakshmi13

lakshmi13 Gold IL'ite

Dear Amrita

Since its been only a month that she has started may going to school, she's crying. The environment is new hence she's taking time to adjust. Though she may be potty trained, the school being a new place and the toilet a common one, she is refusing to use the toilet. Please check if the school toilts are cleaned frequently and are kept dry. At times, the unhygenic status of toilets develop a dislike for using the school toilet. Also, since the ayah and teachers are new, she maynot be liking them to clean her...Dont worry, just keep explaining to her that in school she has to tell the teacher whenever she wants to go to the toilet. Also that avoiding the toilet and trying to control her natural urges is not good for her..

Things will turn out for the better. Just let her settle down in her new environment..

10. lakshmi13

lakshmi13 Gold IL'ite

Dear amunique,

thank you :)