1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Genius In the Making: The First Two Years

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by lakshmi13, Nov 13, 2011.

1. lakshmi13

lakshmi13 Gold IL'ite

Hi Ramya,

Your diet plan is really filled with nutrition. Only thing is you need to add vegetables also. Mix vegetables in his dosa or paniyaram. Mix puri dough with spinach puree or beetroot puree. This way the puris will be colourful to look and he will eat his vegetables also.

Try introducing one vegetable at a time. Initially he may refuse, but thereafter, seeing you all eat, he'll also start eating.

Lakshmi

2. lakshmi13

lakshmi13 Gold IL'ite

Hi Anisu,

Good that you are involving your daughter in the day to day activities. This way she'll learn faster and share a greater bond with you. As she grows up teach her to clean up the mess she creates. time invested with her now will go a long way in making her a daughter you'll be proud of :)

Good going
    Lakshmi

3. lakshmi13

lakshmi13 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sowmya,

You can ask the child's mom to contact me through private messages. My work constantly keeps me mobile, hence email is the best way as I can reply faster. In case the child's mom has no access to the internet, do let me know.I'll give my address. Though my reply may be late.

Lakshmi

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2011
  4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear lakshmi13,
    a very good thread indeed. I would like to say that I have done all that you have given here with my son and he is today a very good son and human being. I am proud to say this because inspite of being a specia child, he had achieved this. I would advise our members to follow all those tips.
    1. I used to sing songs for him from the time he was born, mostly semi classical songs on Lord Krishna and lullabies. He will sleep without giving any problem.
    2. I used to take him t the bedroom after switching off all the lights in the house and put him to sleep. I tell him the Krishnaleela/panchatnatra stories or sing to him.
    3. He will sleep with his head on my upper arm, hugging me. This position was very convenient when we travelled. He never woke up in the middle of the night in the train and wailed, no.
    4. While feeding also, t ws story time. As he liked Popeye, I used to give him ny greens and say that it is spinach. I introduced all types of food for him before he was 5 years old and he eats anything tasy now. No snacking for him, only timely meals. This is very helpful because he is obese because of hormone problem and he can control his diet very well when he is away from home.
    5. No chocolates till 5 years of age. He used to hand over the chocolate when somebody gave him one. He does not eat much sweets also.
    6. We have to wait for consultations for hours together. I introduced comic books to him first and since it is full of pitures and small sentences, it was easy to read and understand. So he picked up the reading habit and used to read newspapers from a very young age. He reads the paper everyday without fail.
    I WOULD SUGGEST THAT YOU CAN BUY A SET OF "PICTORIAL STORIES FOR CHILDREN" BROUGHT OUT BY THE RAMAKRISHNA MISSION ( VERY CHEAP PRICE, BUT GOOD QUALITY BOOK) WHICH HAS STORIES FROM OUR MYTHOLOGY AND ALSO OTHER SAINTS FROM ALL OVER INDIA. They can learn about our culture and learn English also. I always carry lots of reading material with me while we travel/ go to hospital.
    7. Sit with them when they watch good cartoons like Tom and Jerry. No Jetiks or such programmes for me. ALso take care to avoid action movies. And do tell them that the actions performed are done with lots of precautions/ are graphic. If done at home, they are dangerous. (this in theright age, please).
    8. Most important is, explain things to them rather than imposing. No bribes for eating their food, doing homework.
    Lakshmi, I have taken much space here, but could not refrain from sharing my experience.

1 person likes this.
  5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    now it is question time. My niece has a daughter, who is just 8 months old. the baby is so cute and active, it is a pleasure watching her. She has now started to sit. But she did not take her mother's feed after 4 months, even before it was a great struggle making her take her feed. Now we are starting to give her semi solids, but she seems to be poor eater. But if we give her after she is really hungry, she takes with out much fuss.
    My niece leaves to work by 9 and comes home between 7.30 and 8.30 (she works in a pvt bank). Her hubby is in the IT, leave by 3.30 in the evening and comes by mid night. My mother and sister in law take care of the baby from 4 pm till my niece comes home (they live nearby). How can we train her as she is with different person through out the day? What type of toys can we get her to keep her brain active? I request that you give a general instruction age wise so that all will benefit. Thank you for the effort and time you are spending for us.

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Lakshmi dear thought provoking post which will be useful for all the mothers and mother to be.

7. ramyasuresh

ramyasuresh Silver IL'ite

thanks Laksmi,

I will try to add and feed him veggies

8. manisha.sanjay

manisha.sanjay Gold IL'ite

Hello Lakshmi,

Nice and informative article and enjoyed it very much.I have shared it on my FB wall so my friends can also be helped with this.Hope u don't mind!!!

Thankyou.

9. lakshmi13

lakshmi13 Gold IL'ite

Hi Akka,

Your experience in bringing up your son and making him what he is today, is the best example for all others. It proves that if parents bring up their child with love and not by imposing pressure, their child can make miracles happen. Thanks for sharing your experience here :)

Lakshmi

10. lakshmi13

lakshmi13 Gold IL'ite

Hi Viji

Thanks for liking my post. This post is my humble endeavour to make parents realize the importance of taking out time for their children during the early years. Time spent with children will not only create an unbreakable bond between parents and kids, it will also help parents identify their child's strengths and weaknesses and take steps accordingly.

Thanks again
    Lakshmi