1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Genius In the Making: The First Two Years

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by lakshmi13, Nov 13, 2011.

1. lakshmi13

lakshmi13 Gold IL'ite

Hi Lakshmi,

Please try to notice the situation in which he bites his nails. Actually, children generally bite their nails when they are nervous, frightened, insecure or bored. After observing this it will be easy to try and avoid the situation leading to nail biting. Make sure that your nephew's nails are cut so much so that there is nothing left to bite. Also he can be told that each time he attempts to bite his nails, he will not be allowed to watch/ do his favourite activity and each time he attempts to avoid biting his nails he will be given a reward (a chocolate/ homemade sweets or anything he likes).

Children love to be messy when they play and they dislike to clean up. Yet it is important that they learn to clean up because later on it will become a habit. With regards to your daughter, tell her to clean up her room or her things. Also tell her that if she doesnt do it then she will not be allowed to play. She may do it slowly to irritate you and force you to do it yourself. But do not give in. Let her only complete the cleaning job given. If she refuses to do it make sure she doesnot play. This will make her realize that she has no choice but to clean up. Once she has finished cleaning, however much time she takes, praise her and tell her that she has done it well. Also praise her in front of your friends and say that your daughter is helpful and helps to keep the house clean. This will surely bring about a change in her.

Do you choose the books she reads? Shaking of legs while reading has two meanings. One is that book is so interesting that she wants to get to the end quickly. Otherwise the book is so boring that she wants to get over with it. If she is interested in reading, she'll show interest in books, try to go through your magazines, newspapers. She will also love English and/or Social Studies amongst her school subjects. In case she is interested in maths, she will like doing maths assignments, she'll show an interest in music and rhythmic beats.

Hope these help you,
    Lakshmi

2. lakshmi13

lakshmi13 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sujini,

You should consider yourself very lucky. You are one of those mothers whose child is very happy and contented. Your DD is emotionally secure. She knows you love her. Even if you spend three hours with her on weekdays, your child loves each and every minute. Your daughter is also emotionally more secure because she is left with people she knows and is fond of. That is why she doesnot cry when separating from you.

It is also nice to know that your child listens to you and has developed good habits. Do continue bringing her up like that.

Congrats
    Lakshmi

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
    GeetaKashyap likes this.
  3. lakshmit

lakshmit Bronze IL'ite

Hi lakshmi,
    Thank u so much for ur reply... Will try to apply and let u know.

lakshmi.

4. Sujinp22

Sujinp22 New IL'ite

Hi lakshmi,

Nice post .
    I also have a 8 months girl baby ,she is very active and very fast ..
    Nowadays she understand and learns a lot...
    and i want to know what are the new activites or games should i do for her?
    should i start reading books for her?

thanks in advance
    sujatha

5. ramyasuresh

ramyasuresh Silver IL'ite

thanks Lakshmi for the valuavle info. ALready I am following this for my son.

The only problem with him is he is not at all eating other than curd rice.
    Once he sees the color of sambhar, dal or rasam he tightly closes his mouth with his hands and starts crying demanding he needs only curd rice.

can u tell me one solution to make him eat?

Thanks

6. lakshmi13

lakshmi13 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sujatha,

Thanks for liking my post. You can start getting toys which have sounds in them. Also, does your daughter sit without support? If yes, get her those stacking toys. She'll love to stack them one on top of the other. You can also check out a baby gym mat. The one by Fisher Price has a colourful mat with animal pictures and lots of hanging rattles. Your daughter will surely enjoy.

Besides these toys, spend as much time as possible singing to her and playing with her. You can indulge in finger plays, tickling games. Buy a picture book that has big pictures. Sit with your child and point out the pictures. She'll like it. Tell her stories, make faces at her to teach about emotions, make different sounds...In fact, the bottom line is spend quality time with her. If she is teething, you can give her finger foods to hold, like a piece of cucumber or tomato.

Hope you like these suggestions
    Lakshmi

GeetaKashyap and JGVR like this.
  7. lakshmi13

lakshmi13 Gold IL'ite

Hi Ramya,

Children are choosy when it comes to food. If he likes curd rice, start by adding chopped raw onions, tomato, cucumber and carrot to it. If he eats this, then try making fried rice or pulao and give it to him with curd.

My daughter is very fond of vegetables and she used to trouble me for eating rice and roti. What I do now is, give her pulao and fried rice with lots of vegetables. I also make veg rolls by stuffing roti with varieties of vegetables. She has started eating rice and roti in this fashion.

Do let me know your son's eating schedule so that I will be able to help you better. Does he eat only curd rice throughout the day? Does he like fruits? What else does he eat?

Lakshmi

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  8. ramyasuresh

ramyasuresh Silver IL'ite

Hi lakshmi,

Thanks for the reply.

He takes his morning Milk 1 glass[ pedia sure] follwed by dosa or paniyarama or puri but without any side dish.

By Mid morning he has coconut water.

By lunch he has Curd rice.

evening Fruits like sapota, appale, banana, orange or carrots either fully or juices

nite by 7 o clock he is having milk rice and when he goes to sleep he will have 1 glass of milk with honey.

sometimes he takes sweets in between meals like dhoodh peda, ladoos like something.

9. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for taking time and replying to my post lakshmi...
    Ya I am a working mom...and yes i do tell her not to bite and hit ..and she does listen ..but once in a while she will still do it ....
    I am actually involving my DD in my day to day activities ....some times it becomes an additional work for me to clean the mess she has created but my DD enjoys to help me .. :)
    Thanks a lot Lakshmi ..

10. sowraj

sowraj Bronze IL'ite

Thanks a lot for the reply.. we will try your suggestions. Is there any other way we can contact you,. i will prefer the childs mom to directly get in touch with you.