1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A friend can be a soulmate too!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Chitvish, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I have a close friend for the past twenty five years. We keep in close touch in person; if not, atleast on the phone, very regularly.
    I really do not know the exact meaning of the word “soulmate”. But, I feel, as though, she is one, based on what and how we share.

When she had her share of prosperity, looking back, I think, I was a beneficiary as much as her own family was. Our friendship and compatibility are of the highest order, not that we are, as individuals, perhaps easy for others to get along with!!

By the word soulmate, do not imagine any mystical connotations!
    One has a special influence on other’s life, as though intertwined! Our bonds are very strong. During her “good days”, she used to get me lavish gifts in the form of expensive dresses, jewels etc. I loved them more for the sentiment behind them than the material aspect. Hard pressed for money, if ever? I just had to tell her. On trust, she gave me any amount, I needed.
    One had a sense of harmony with the other.

But sadly, over years, her family lost all wealth in business and are going through tough times. My husband has been very co-operative and we have helped them financially, to the extent possible, retired people that we are! It is as though God made us friends to create balance in eachother’s life, if and when necessary.

Because of her personal domestic problems, she goes into bouts of depression. It is strange that after meeting her, I feel equally or more depressed. I badly want to cheer her up; but strangely very often she ends up cheering me. She also tells me that only true friends will remain united when one goes through a bad patch in life.
    We are temperamentally suited to eachother and our affinity is very deep.
    When I am in her company I feel safe enough to open the locks and my truest self steps out. We do not pretend and each of us unveils the best as well as the worst part to the other!
    We share our deepest longings and our sense of direction in life. No matter what else goes wrong around us, with that one person we are safe in our paradise of companionship ! We do not look for perfection in the other, knowing how imperfect we are, as individuals!

The beauty of our relationship is, each is not possessive of the other. Both of us have our individual circle of friends independently. But we mean special to eachother.
    She has made my life easy and natural and she is the one who “makes life come to life”, as Richard Bach quoted !

Love,
    Chithra.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi chithmam,

Soulmate, reminds me of paul coelho's novel "brida" where he talks about soulmates frequently.

“The whole of man’s life on the face of Earth can be summed up by that search for his soulmate. He may pretend to be running after wisdom, money or power, but none of that matters. Whatever he achieves will be incomplete if he fails to find his soulmate,”

For me, my soulmate is no guesses there i suppose...

I agree that friends can be soulmates...

3. Chitvish

Yes, Shan! I just make a guess, who your soulmate is !!
    BUT, perhaps that is what drew you both together in the first place. In arranged marriages, probably it is likely to be less?[​IMG]
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitra Ma'am,

Nice to read your blog on soulmate and about your soulmate :)

Yes....a soulmate is very much a NEED for everyone rather than a want. But little do people realise this in their racy world.

Yes, friends can definitely be soulmates.

Cheers
    Jenz

5. Chitvish

Jenz, thanks. But..............
    a soulmate has to "happen", God willing; we cannot go, searching for one!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra,

There is no definitive theory of soulmates, no accepted definition. Some say that there are different types or categories of soulmates. Three types frequently discussed are the soulmate as an essence twin or counterpart--one's other half, the companion or lover who helps one achieve a goal, and the karmic teacher who comes into your life to teach you an important lesson.

I feel the one who can help us to growth and become all that we can be, who will support, honor, shelter, guide, serve, succor, challenge, adore, and love unreservedly. It could be a friend or relative.

There can be more than one soul mate also. My better half and my sister are my two soul mates. There are no secrets between us.
    We share our love, happiness, sorrows, folly, and triumphs with each other.
    Love,
    PS

7. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

Dear chith

A very nice blog on friendship and how dear you hold your friend !! I am sure that your realtionship is still on going because of the lack of possesiveness and accepting each other the way you are...Let me pray for your friend so that she overcomes her bad times...Also her best asset should be a friend like you even in the worst of times my friend...

lov
    sowmi

8. Chitvish

A soulmate can be a soul-lover, soul-sibling,
    karmic-soulmate, companion-soulmate...........
    I would define, soulmate is one with whom I am happiest! We create balance in eachother's life and that is our blessing!
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. Chitvish

Oh, Sowmi, your words are so sweet! If only prayers and wishes can help her tide over her bad times, she cannot ask for anything more in life!
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. Amywos

Amywos Bronze IL'ite

Chitra mam, yet again a wonderful piece from you. It is quite rare to get someone with whom you can be TOTALLY yourself. You both are very lucky to get each other. I wish and pray that this friendship goes on like this giving both of you the immense happiness of being in such a friendship. I also wish and pray for your friend. Am sure she will be out of her grief soon, as, tough times never last longer, tough people do.