1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A cynical look at Cynics!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

In just one thread
    I have managed to earn
    the titles
    semmari adu
    and then..
    unknown angel
    and ofcourse the inevitable
    resident naradhi

and then..
    and then..
    :eek:mg:cannot even believe it

A CYNIC

where will I even start my pulambal...
    Lets wait and see whats going to happen
    since someone is supporting me here eternally
    ..forget all the "nithya" or "mithya" stuff..:iagree
    Cannot wait to see what'll happennnnn
    And here I was ONLY trying to helpppppBig Laugh

2. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

ADD or not cynics are the salt in life. "Uppila pandam kupaiyile!" But at the same time too much salt and you still dump the food in trash. So I guess one should know to tolerate within limits and learn the best from the oppurtunity provided by the cynics. Without them you are just going to meet practically your clones (at least in terms of thinking)... WOW that would drive me crazy if no one gave me a chance to improve or provide lateral thinking!! Like Oscar Wilde said "if everyone agrees with me I think I'm wrong".
    Nice write up, enjoyable FBs & very entertaining exchanges with Mrs.C & Naradi.
    -L.

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Oh, my dear Naradhi,
    I am surprised that you are lamenting ! - shows your lack of confidence in "eternal" help !
    Avar irukka bayam aen?
    Abadbhandavan will come & help you, any time, no worries ! He will not betray you tsk!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra
    Dont confuse simple souls with any pedagogic lecture on Nithya and Mithya! I have observed that most of the exponents of Vedantha have a tendency to complicate even the simplest things by a very complicated explanation! My support for AC , be it Nithya or Mithya, is there in a very tangible form which is more important.
    Sri

5. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    Well, you have now complicated me already with the word
    pedagogic !
    Pray, what does it mean , Sir ?
    It is now your turn to
    have a tendency to complicate even the simplest things (word) by a very complicated explanation(word!)
    I think, I have done enough "damage" in your thread - knowing that, I will bow down & move away, no worries !
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. Cheeniya

Dear Veda
    As you have rightly observed, being critical is often mistaken as being cynical. A critic has to know his subject inside out and his criticism must be objective and lead to value addition to the original view expressed. Half baked criticism can lead to being ridiculed!
    The famous music critic the late Subbudu was a classic example of critics going overboard. His pungent remarks made him the most feared instead of most respected! I have heard younger artists lamenting that Subbudu's sheer presence among the audience forced them to commit mistakes!
    Cynics are more subjective as they tend to disagree with anything that is not in line with their thinking but a critic has to be very objective. If a critic crosses his boundary, he may become counter productive!
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

Dear Sudha
    Your deduction that Naradhi is a cynic is a very good example of paralogism that can not be faulted! I agree with you that cynics are more intelligent. They have to be original and they have to keep you wondering what their response to whatever you say. All that makes them very interesting. If you ask someone 'How are you ?' and get an answer "i'm fine' , you just nod your head and walk away but if the answer is' If I am not fine, what are you going to do about it?' it may disconcert you. That way a cynic may keep you on tenterhooks right through the conversation!
    Sri

8. Cheeniya

Dear AC
    With all these people adding names to you, very soon you'll have an ashtothiram and then a sahasranamam too! It's a very unique honour you know!
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear Lavanya
    That Oscar Wilde quote is a gem! Many people classify Oscar Wilde as a great cynic for his utterances such as "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes."
    While many consider cynics as the scum of the earth, I agree with your likening them to salt in life. If cynics had not been pursing their lips at everything that they came across, no progress would have been possible!
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    I believe in the age old principle of taking a thorn out with a thorn! (mulla mullalathan edukkanum). Hence was my use of the word 'pedagogic' in response to your nithya and mithya!
    My threads are beyond any damage! So you need not bow down and move away!
    Sri