1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A cynical look at Cynics!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear, dear AC,
    You are nomore a Naradi - atleast in this thread !
    I love you AC, for being so sympathetic & understanding !
    Avar ennai idukkile eppadi kindal panna pakkararu!:oops:
    Ofcourse,
    He samalichufied as well.

Dear Sri,
    I thank you for the compliment ! You had to say it as a compenation for the first half of the sentence!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC
    It's most gratifying to see that you have not lost your touch. For a while I was worried if you were losing your grip on playing your Naradi role effectively but I feel greatly relieved now!
    I am surprised to hear that you have had no exposure to cynics so far. You have no idea what you are missing in life! They can be the greatest fun to encounter!
    Sri

3. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    My compliment is not by way of any compensation! You deserve it and I must give the Devil its due!
    Sri

4. Chitvish

Dear Sri,
    I cannot help retorting back,
    YOU ARE INCORRIGIBLE, MY FRIEND!
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sri,

Good topic...

Cynicism was about leaving material comforts and living simple and virtuously. (virtue is ofcourse another topic for a blog)

But today it has taken a altogether a different meaning.

Oscar wilde said " Cynic was A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." . How true.A modern cynic may see himself as a critic, whose opinions may serve a purpose. But as long as it has an constructive aspect to it, we need that to expose our political and social leaders don't you agree...

Though cynic can be called the Devil's Advocate, they lose that credibility when it goes to extremes. when it is combined with bitter feelings
    a cynic gets isolated from the world around including his near and dears who can no longer cope with the negativity and there are by far large number of uncles, aunts, colleague and etc as example for the same.....

But the term cynicism has changed a lot...like if you ask veda he will say.."these are the people who will say i would love the opposite person to lose one eye even if it is going to cost me 2 eyes..."

I am cynical about modern day cynicism......shakehead.

6. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    You can say it in Wodehouse style-
    You are not incorrigible but far from being corrigible!
    Sri

7. Chitvish

OK, Sri,
    I agree to disagree with you that I am far from being corrigible and not incorrigible !
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Cheeniya

Dear Shanthi
    An excellent response! You are right about the word 'cynic' having undergone a sea-change in modern parlance. When we talk of a cynic, it could mean anything, disgruntled idealist, a subversive wit, a professional misfit, a skeptical jester, a curmudgeon, a social reject, a misanthrope, or a secret sentimentalist who longs for a simpler, sweeter life, but today the term connotes more than anything a diehard killjoy!
    The ancient Greek cynics would shrink in horror if they come to know who their counterparts are in today's world.The dictionary defines a cynic as 'a faultfinding captious critic; esp. one who believes that human conduct is motivated wholly by self-interest'. That is being quite unfair to them and very judgemental. I have found this definition of a cynic a lot more fair and acceptable-'an idealist whose rose-colored glasses have been removed, snapped in two and stomped into the ground, immediately improving his vision'
    But then, we dont find any more cynics who would qualify to be so judged! If they are looked down upon and 'sniggered' at, it is their own making!
    Sri

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hey sri,

I liked the rose tinted glasses version of yours..but on a lighter note..have you analysed why is it dog philosophy???or why is cynic meaning dog???

10. Cheeniya

Dear Shanthi
    The Cynics were more blunt when it came to exposing foolishness. They'd hang out in the streets like a pack of dogs ("Cynic" comes from the Greek word for dog), watch the passing crowd, and ridicule anyone who seemed pompous, pretentious, materialistic or downright wicked. Fiercely proud of their independence, they led disciplined and virtuous lives.
    Cynics derived their name from dogs and not vice versa. Whatever motivates a dog to bark at passers by, cynics nurse similar motivation! Anything that is not in accordance with your own view of life is bark-worthy!
    Sri