1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A cross-word addict!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 5, 2007.

1. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sri uncle,

While my heart went out to Radha, I couldn't stop my lips from curving towards the end. You have to admit, it was pretty funny. :)

Moderation in hobbies, I guess, is the key to retaining peace in the home front. Having said that, I believe once we stumble onto a hobby that makes us really happy, it would be very hard to draw the line and step back.

Crossword puzzles and sudokus are (thank god) beyond the reach of my poor brain so my family has been spared the heartache that befell Dhamu and Radha. I doubt if they really appreciate how lucky they are.

:)

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meena
    Thanks for peeping into an old thread of mine!

I agree with you that a hobby that makes you happy can enslave you for life. A few months back, my internet connectivity was lost for quite a few days and for want of anything else, I started playing solitaire on my PC. It got me engrossed in it completely and even after the restoration of internet connectivity, I keep playing the damn thing. As a result, I have not written anything new for over two months now!

The modern matchmakers(kalyana tharakar) perhaps need to confirm that the prospective bridegroom is not addicted to crosswords or sudoku besides listing out his other virtues!
    Sri

3. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Hello Cheeniya Sir,

Happened to read this thread sometime last week but couldn't reply immediately.

We are all basically addicts one way or the other.
    Cross-word addiction leading to divorce is unbelievable but been imagining this couple's plight (had more than 10 days to think, you see). Man has his own addictive behaviour & women being riddled day in & day out; yes, it's too much to adjust. If the circumstances before the break-up were intolerable, then the break-up may actually be good for the couple. It is better to break-up than to continue living with the torture.

While reading your thread, I was forced to remember something I read about a particular sun sign. Not disclosing the same or the whole discussion will deviate.

It was a lady's confession about her ex-husband. though everything ended bitterly, she couldn't avoid mentioning his bizarre & weird way of loving her. He had his own weird ways of life but never occured how difficult & painful some of his actions were for the woman. Though their love was special, the other things failed the relationship. I've a relative sharing this particular sun sign & could relate to her words.

Also, when it comes to such addictions, I feel women can handle it better cause we are always doing this balancing act all the time.

Moral : Love is unconditional, relationships are not.

4. Cheeniya

Meenaaa!
    You can strike me down with a feather! I keep asking about you from you know who! But your putting up an appearance without warning is too much for a weak-hearted guy like me! To say that I am overjoyed seeing you writing a FB to me will be a gross understatement of the century!

To take this couple's plight to the extreme I had assumed certain freedom as a writer but if you look at the kind of life they lead, a divorce would appear to be mot juste I too have seen such bizarre lovers. In fact, the men who are extremely possessive about their wives can be cruel at times and the tragedy is that the possessive men feel that they are the world's greatest lovers!

Love is unconditional, relationships are not

Absolutely!
    Sri

5. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Hello Cheeniya Sir,

I could just feel your affection in your reply and me too am very weak-hearted to such affectionate gestures. I did miss your beautiful writing & did pray for you when you were down in the hospital.

Your name does figure in our (U know who) conversations & I do keep track of all happenings to Good people like U!!

I too missed YOU & your wonderful writings but got a little busy. when I say busy it's not buzzing bee kinda busy, my mind was busy & and didn't want to do anything & be not my true self.

I'd like to spend more time here & let's see how much I can make it. Only hoping CV will be here too soon. Miss her.

Hope you & family are doing well Sir.

My sincere regards.

6. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya..
    I rushed to read this thread due to OJ- Kaku's open letter to you... and what a jewel.. you write so well .. why have you stopped..
    as far as the cross word goes I agree its a huge addiction.. at one point when i was young girl living Mumbai i would buy the evening news and then the afternoon only to do the crossword puzzle and God Forbid if I didn't manage to complete it... the wait the next day would be unbearable and then I would rave and rant how the clues were not in order!!!...
    But now after marriage and kid no time but yet I do indulge myself whenever in mumbai just for the heck of it..
    K

7. Cheeniya

Dear Kelly
    Thanks for your extremely generous accolade of 'jewel' for the Crossword Addict. Thanks again for mentioning it straight and not through a mind-boggling clue! My respect for you went several notches up on hearing that you too were a crossword buff.

I have written a FB to OJ for his thread addressed to me. From it you will know the degree of respect I have for the crossworders!
    Sri

8. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Hello sir,

I think this is my first visit to your write ups
    CROSSWORDS are CURSED WORDS
    .:-( not one more addict. My late father was one and when we used to get ourselves ready to office he would just ask us some hints with a clue and used to say that literature girls cannot help me. I think this must be a true story. Sometimes people in their own world do forget to converse in the normal way and this will lead to big disastrous in life. What a sad thing to end in a negative note.

9. Cheeniya

Dear Nityakalyani
    This is actually your second visit to my ramblings the first one being, Zen and the art of filtering junk and thank you for your continued interest in my ramblings!

When Sudoku hit the market, I thought the crossword addicts would be weaned away but they have become greater addicts. Sudoku is a mere number game according to them but crosswords are all encompassing. But according to me, moderation is the keyword in maximizing the joy of any pursuit. Overindulgence can be truly disastrous.
    Sri

10. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Thanks sir for keeping in memory. i do forget because i do sit a long time online. Crosswords cannot be removed as this is a best way of learning vocabulary. Just imagine how the creators must have cracked their brains to create one. All habits when in kept in moderations are best - as pointed by you.
    Thanks for your couraging words

nityakalyani