1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A College Love Story - Part 23

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by crazywriter, Nov 19, 2012.

1. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/stories-fiction/197720-college-love-story-part-22-a.html

It was the day of the last exam. At 2.00 p.m., the sun was at its hottest best, boiling everything in its sight. Varsha walked out of the exam hall, poring through her question paper. Vineeth was standing outside the building, leaning against the notice board. Varsha walked to him, and asked him, “How did it go?” Vineeth replied, “It went,” and grinned at his wisecrack. “Very good,” she said absentmindedly, her gaze shifting back to the paper. Vineeth gently tugged it out of her hand. “Cold coffee? Where are the others? I am dying of thirst.” A distracted Varsha said, “Didn’t they come out yet? Give it back, goobe (literally owl - this is a local Kannada way of referring to a silly person, usually a friend).”

As the two were fighting over the paper, Priya and Raksha joined them. “Whoa, what is it guys? Are you so happy that exams are over that you want to compete with each other to tear the question paper?” Priya said, laughing at them. Vineeth said, “Let’s go for cold coffee, and someone please keep this girl away from her question paper! Else she will drown in it.” They walked to the canteen, Varsha and Vineeth leading the way, still squabbling about the paper. In a few minutes, Harish joined them. They sat down and ordered their drinks.

They spent an hour in idle chitchat, and rose to part ways. This would be the last time they would meet, possibly ever. For in spite of the promises to meet often, the situation was such that only the girls would be able to meet as often. Varsha had invited all of them for her engagement, and they had promised to come for the wedding. She had told them that she would not accept any excuses if they did not come for the wedding, which would be held in Hubli. Now she told them, “Guys, you must make it for my wedding. I guess it will happen in two or three years from now. You all have to come.” Priya and Raksha had already confirmed their attendance, and Vineeth had assured her that he would come, if he was in Karnataka.

Varsha turned to Harish. “And sir, what about you? I am expecting you also at the wedding, no excuses.” Harish was stricken. He could not say anything. He was also unable to express his emotions on his face. Vineeth gave him a warning look. Harish managed to put a painful smile on his face, and said, “I will try, Varsha, I am not sure if I will be around.” Varsha said, “It’s not going to be tomorrow,” Vineeth intervened and said, “Varsha, don’t worry, if I am in town, and this clown is nearby, I will bring him along.” She was satisfied with that.

They all slowly got up to leave. As the girls left, Vineeth held Harish back, and they sat down again. As soon as the girls were out of earshot, Vineeth said, “Dude, get a grip! You should have just said ok and left it!” Harish did not reply; he could only watch as Varsha receded into the sunset.

Varsha and her family were leaving for Hubli, for the engagement in a couple of days. Last minute preparations were keeping everyone busy. The minutes flew past, and soon, Varsha and her family were in Hubli. The engagement was to be in a few days, and Varsha was relaxing with her cousins and aunts. Madhu’s family was hosting the engagement, so Varsha and her family did not have much work.

The day of the engagement dawned bright and early, as both families made their way to the hall. Varsha and her parents entered the hall, where Puru uncle and Mandakini aunty welcomed them and the rest of the family. Madhu was seated inside, next to the priest. He looked like a hero from an old Kannada movie in his Mysore peta (a turban) and a gold-bordered dhoti. Varsha was looking dazzling in a dark blue and gold Kancheepuram sari. She and her parents took their seat in the designated place.

The engagement was a formal occasion, and got over in a few hours. Both families were resting after lunch, and discussing the wedding. Puru uncle said, “Let us hold the wedding also at Hubli, it will be more convenient for both of us.” Varsha’s mother said, “Yes, we can do that, it will be easier to get the families to come here.” Mandakini aunty said, “When do we hold the wedding, as soon as her MA is done? By then Madhu will also hopefully complete his Ph.D.” The gathering parted ways on that positive note.

Varsha had taken admission in a college outside her city, so she had to stay in a hostel. It was only 4 hours away from her city, so she planned to come home whenever she had some free time. Her parents and brother accompanied her a few days before her college began, to help her settle down in the hostel. College began on a Monday, and Madhu had told her that he would come down on the weekend before. Her parents had to leave the next day, which was a Friday, and Madhu would be in town only the next day. She bade goodbye to her parents with a heavy heart; she was feeling very lonely in the new and strange environment. As she sat and pondered for a while, her principal’s words came to her mind. Everything was new only for a short period, after that, it became a part of life.

She sat in her room, and tried to read a book, but was distracted. Her roommate had not arrived yet, so she would have to spend a few nights alone. She felt very lonely; she missed her family, and Madhu. She wished tomorrow would hurry up and come, so that he would be there with her. She wanted to call him, but it was only 10 in the morning, and he would be in class. She got up and walked out, planning to look around the city. She was in two minds, as she did not want to walk around an unknown city on her own, but did not want to sit alone in her room all day alone either.

She went out of the hostel campus. Suddenly, her phone rang. It was Madhu. “What timing madam!” he exclaimed. “Why, what happened, Madhu? Don’t you have class now?” he said, “Yes, I am in class only. Took a break, thought I’ll call you.” Varsha replied, “How irresponsible! Get back to class, teacher sir!” Someone tapped her on her shoulder. She turned to see Madhu standing there, grinning at her! “Madhu! You are here?! How come?” he said, “Well, I took a day’s leave, your parents said that you would be all alone, so I came a day earlier to cheer you up. Come, let’s go sightseeing!”

7 people like this.

2. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

How sweet, I really like Madhu-Varsha's pairing :-D Though you have not focused much on their relationship (as yet) but they seem to be really matured and made for each other. Harish...hmmm...well too bad for him. Good girls are taken fast ;-)

1 person likes this.
  3. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Wow.... everything looking picture perfect Suma...

waiting to devour more now...:-D

1 person likes this.
  4. saarang

saarang Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I like Madhu-Varsha pair.. But I feel Harish is the real hero here. I think he is the one for Varsha... Lets see.. Anyways nice episode...

1 person likes this.
  5. crazywriter

Thanks a lot :)

Lol! thanks for that nugget of wisdom :-D

6. crazywriter

Thank you Lalitha Akka, I am working on the next part :)

7. crazywriter

Thank you :)

We never know where fate leads us, right? And to quote JK Rowling, 'It is our choices that make us who we really are.' so lets see where the choices of our protagonists lead them. :)

8. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

I really feel bad for Harish. But, Varsha doesn't have any feelings for him like Madhu. I too feel Madhu - Varsha is the right pair. And, now eagerly waiting for the next episode to know how the sight seeing went.

1 person likes this.
  9. rashima4u

rashima4u Silver IL'ite

so sweet.........good going

1 person likes this.
  10. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

Wow so Varsha is really engaged to Madhu now! Still cant believe it. Well it was a cute gesture by Madhu to surprise Varsha. Great going :)

1 person likes this.