1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A close encounter....of the fourth kind???

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Mar 21, 2010.

1. monifa13

monifa13 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Mindian- Your encounter with Super Star is really Super. This reminds me of an incident which happened to us here. My dh has never watched a full movie in his life so far and I too am not very fond of watching movies.One of his doctor friends married (Second marriage for both of them) an actress from Mumbai and brought her to a common friend's home to introduce to us. She walked in with her head held high and looked at all of us as though we were all from an alien land. After the initial talks she asked my dh 'Don't you know me?' and he said 'No'. She mentioned her name and said she has acted in many films, even as a heroine with Rajesh Khanna and many other famous actors. At one stage my dh told her 'I am sorry Mrs.so and so, I don't know you or any of the big stars you have acted with. As far as movies are concerned I just am not there. If you have anything else to talk about probably we can continue the conversation.' You should have seen her face! :rotflAfterwards it seems she told her husband that 'your friend (meaning my dh) has married a South Indian and all South Indian women are 'Chaalu' and she is going to make his life a living hell!!:spin The rest of the story is she left her husband and went back to Mumbai and even took her husband to the court!
    Sorry my fb has become longer than your post.:bonk

2. Meenupanicker

Meenupanicker Senior IL'ite

Dear Mindian

Thanks for the post yaar.:thankyou2:
    You have presented it so hilariously especially the lift episode.....:biglaugh
    If I was in your place I also would have been thinking now about what all things I must have told him .Super star must be astonished to see tour reaction and that may be the reason for him to ask you wheather you watch tamil films or not.But happy to hear that he is your neighbour and showed you all the rooms by himself.We had heard a lot about his down to earth behaviour and simplicity.
    This snippet is so interactive in the sense that we would think and pen down our experience of meeting a celebrity. Never had one so just enjoyed the snippet.

3. Amma15

Amma15 Gold IL'ite

Dear Mindi,

I loved your Close encounter . Soooo funny. And your Mom ! I love her. So honest. No pretences.

Many, many, many years ago my mom had a similar encounter - she was travelling from Madras to Delhi ,only to find her matinee idol - the one and only grand dada of Hindi films ,Ashok Kumar in the next seat ! Oh boy! She was on cloud nine ! She had herself become a celebrity overnight - it was so amusing. She never tired of talking about her trip !

Love,
    Usha

4. Amma15

Amma15 Gold IL'ite

Dear Mindi,

I loved your Close encounter . Soooo funny. And your Mom ! I love her. So honest. No pretences.

Many, many, many years ago my mom had a similar encounter - she was travelling from Madras to Delhi ,only to find her matinee idol - the one and only grand dada of Hindi films ,Ashok Kumar in the next seat ! Oh boy! She was on cloud nine ! She had herself become a celebrity overnight - it was so amusing. She never tired of talking about her trip !

Thanks for bringing memories back.

Love,
    Usha

5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear paru,

thanks for the first fb.:)
    thank you,i feel better hearing that I am not the odd one out.
    the thing is i did not know at all we were going to see rajnis house.
    later i was telling my hubby probably S had planned it as a huge surprise for us but had not bargained for such an unenthusiastic audience and his plan had backfired :biglaugh:biglaugh

6. itsgaya3

itsgaya3 Silver IL'ite

That must have been a wonderful experience for you Mindi, especially since there are so many out there craving to atleast have a glimpse of him, he was so good to show you around the house.

I too had a similar experience when I was travelling from India to US on a short business trip. At the airport, there was this bus which takes us from our gate to the flight. Since that was my first trip to US, I was all tensed and worried about whether I've taken the right bus and so on.. Suddenly I noticed a familiar face sitting opposite to me in that bus. About a fraction of a second and then I realized that it was actress Kushboo. I felt that she looked bit different off screen. And there was a guy who was continuously staring at her ( may be lost of words ) and finally he seemed to have gathered all his strength and asked her " Are you actress Kushboo ", and she replied very cooly " Do i look otherwise " .... By then, the bus came to a halt, and I was off to my flight...

Still, at times I feel that I could have atleast said a "Hi" to her.

Gaya3

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear viji,

yes, I do believe you would immediately tell us all about it.:)

looks like i and uncle have a lot in common.not that i did not want to give him importance and all but I am like that.what general conversation could I have made with him,i wonder.
    but my hubby is very casual with all.... he can talk in general to a cab driver and a celebrity too .

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi mallika,

yes it is a surprise to me that you would have behaved the same.i thought you would have had a nice long chat with him,.because you do come across as a very bubbly person.:)

yes of course, so what if they are stars..still i could have talked to them like anybody else,no? ..no need to fawn over them i agree but make casual conversation like my hubby did?they never spoke anything about movies..only about land prices and politics ..as usual...men !

and i tell you he is a very nice person,did not behave at all like a superstar. i am sure we all would have had a good laugh if i had asked him about the cigar flipping act..:biglaugh

9. karunamurty

karunamurty Bronze IL'ite

Hello Mindi
    truly enjoyed your post - a surprise encounter with THE SUPERSTAR.
    How humble of him to take you around the house without any pretense!
    I suppose I would be tongue tied too. Actually too shocked and surprised to see him in person unexpectedly.
    I am sure you must have thought of over a hundred things you could have spoken to him while returning home. :)

10. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear TL

what else do i call it but that of the "fourth kind" lol

you met him just like that and dint go Ga-ga ! He must have found you soooo different, so dignified , so refreshingly different from others who are always gawkers !

i really hope he thought so too ,rather that than a diffident person or a snob.:biglaugh

But I have to ask, did you retain your sanctified hand ,shaken by the god, unwashed for at least two days ?:crazy

No, but I did lend my hand to anyone who cared for a proxy hand shake with the superstar hahhah

[B]Your mom's reaction was so cute ! LOL !

[/B] yeah isnt she? she is a real fun person.:)

Actually there is something about the stars and me..i almost always meet someone at the airport or flight and once there was the whole of tamil tinsel town with us from chennai to kl...and again some years back i did meet my favourite srk and others when they came for the gifa awards in kl...but those were close encounters of the first and second kind, .....just the sighting and observation :biglaugh

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010