1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A CHILDs TRAUMA (one of my 30 SHORT STORIES)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sureshmiyer, Jun 24, 2011.

1. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

“Why is God so unkind to me Amma” Adarsh asked his Mother as he lay on her lap.

“You are the chosen one, my Son. God always gives troubles to his chosen ones. Keep faith, Happier times always come after sad times.” Priya consoled Adarsh as her fingers rolled over his hair gently. Adarsh always found solace in his mother Priya’s tender touch and kind words, as he slept everyday.

Adarsh was the only son of Priya who was divorced from her husband and lived with him in a one BHK flat at Malad. His childhood was a traumatic one, as he witnessed continuous fights between his mother and father at his tender age leading to their separation and a long custody battle for him culminating in long court sessions. Adarsh was sick of his father and the smell of the court rooms. He grew up to be a very timid schoolboy and was neither good in studies nor in outdoor activities. His classmates often mocked him and teased him. Even teachers ridiculed him and abused him for his poor studies.

Things went very bad for Adarsh when his classmate Vishal uttered bad words and
    spread the news around that Adarsh did not have a father. Adarsh hated Vishal and even picked up fights with him. His mother Priya always scolded him for his acts and advised him to ignore Vishal. Adarsh hated Vishal as Vishal made things very difficult for him in and out of the classroom. Vishal was living in the same building where Adarsh lived. Vishal’s mother was in the habit of gossiping and always spoke bad of Adarsh’s mother’s character in Vishal’s presence and made fun of her. Priya kept a safe distance from everyone in the society, but found it difficult to instill confidence in Adarsh. Being a working woman, she could not take much attention of Adarsh. To Adarsh’s credit, he was a very gentle boy since childhood and never troubled his mother. Priya thought of raising some money and sell this flat for good so that she can look for some other house on rent and utilize the money for the future of Adarsh’s education. Adarsh was the only hope and was the world around whom Priya lived. Being involved in an inter-caste love marriage, even her nearest relatives deserted her.

Vishal often followed Adarsh and had great fun in troubling him. It was due to this, Adarsh avoided going out in the evenings for stroll or some games.

It was the month of March and exams were announced. Adarsh was scrolling through the books. He felt tired and decided to have a stroll outside. Adarsh was feeling very hungry by now and hence proceeded to the pakoda seller. His mother always kept money for him in case of need. His mind was at peace as he relished the tasty pakodas. His friends in the locality gathered around him and snatched some pakodas. Adarsh shouted at them and ran after them.

Some one yelled from his building that a boy had fallen down the building. Soon word spread around and a crowd gathered around the boy who was found dead as blood trickled down from his head. It was the body of Vishal, as he had fallen from the terrace by accident.

Adarsh rushed to his home and said to his mother “God punished Vishal, Amma”
    “Shut up, Do not ever speak like that” Priya scolded Adarsh as she rushed out in condolence of Vishal. Adarsh could never understand his mother.

Adarsh felt very relieved and happy from inside. The bitterness within him for Vishal was so intense that he was in ecstasy as he realized that Vishal won't be around to trouble him anymore.

He knew his mother did not like his feelings and hence celebrated silently in her absence. Even his other classmates had fallen silent as they were shocked by Vishal’s sudden accidental death.

Exams were mounting round the corner. Priya kept a glass of milk for Adarsh as he proceeded to the study room for some last minute cramming in the night for morning exams.

For a long time, Adarsh was sitting in his study table and he felt tired sitting in that position. As he turned to change his position, he saw something sitting in a hunched position on the sofa adjoining the table. Adarsh panicked and turned his head away. He turned slowly in the direction of the sofa and looked at it from the corner of his eye. It was Vishal sitting there and Adarsh got really scared. Vishal’s eyes rotated as he pierced the ceiling and vanished.

Priya heard Adarsh’s screams as she rushed from the kitchen into the room only to find Adarsh unconscious. Priya got very scared as she sprinkled some water on her dear son Adarsh’s face. Adarsh’s eyes opened. Priya offered him juice and hugged him tightly. Adarsh was too scared to speak.

Next day morning, Adarsh had high fever. Priya realized that Adarsh will not be able to make it to the exams. She informed the school and took Adarsh to the family doctor. Even after repeated diagnosis and prescriptions, Adarsh even suffered from convulsions or fits and felt scared to be alone even in the hospital as he was admitted soon on advice from the family doctor.

Various tests conducted at the hospital and sessions conducted by the psychiatrist revealed that Adarsh suffered from Depressive psychosis and will take time to recover. Priya was very scared and concerned about her son Adarsh as he was losing confidence day by day.

Seeing her plight, an old nurse at the hospital advised Priya to take Adarsh to a tantrik as she felt that Adarsh was possessed by some ghost.

Priya got very angry with the old nurse and abused her.
    A month passed and Priya was also under pressure of resuming her job, as she feared that she might lose her job. Priya was also wary of Adarsh. She prayed at various temples, kept fasts but to no avail. Not knowing what to do, she finally approached a Baba who was well known for curing many ills. One look at Adarsh, Baba told Priya that Adarsh was tormented by a ghost and he gave an amulet and told her to wear it around Adarsh’s hand as he smeared holy ash on Adarsh’s forehead.

Next day, Adarsh felt better and Priya found comfort in his smile.
    She took him in his lap and said
    “You are the chosen one, my Son. God always gives troubles to his chosen ones. Keep faith, Happier times always come after sad times.”

Adarsh was in tears and was found crying.
    “What happened, my Dear Son. Don’t cry” Priya comforted his son.
    “I am a very bad boy” Adarsh said.
    “My Dear Son, do not cry. You are the best in this world.” Priya kissed on Adarsh’s cheeks.

“No, Amma. Do you know, I saw Vishal again after his death” said Adarsh
    “What” uttered Priya.

“Yes, Amma. I was scrolling through the books. I felt tired and decided to have a stroll outside. I saw Vishal running towards the terrace and followed him. I always hated Vishal and never liked whatever he did. I saw him stand on the edge of the terrace watching out some kite falling. I rushed near him and pulled his leg. Vishal felt very scared. I loved the fear in his eyes. I just wanted to scare him. But he lost balance and before I could sense anything, he fell. I felt very nervous and was feeling very hungry by now and hence got down and proceeded to the pakoda seller. Soon everyone came to know that Vishal fell and died.” Adarsh kept pouring his words with jet speed.
    Priya was in total shock and did not know what to say.

Adarsh gathered himself and continued “I thought I would be happy. But I saw Vishal’s ghost one night and what happened after that was so scary. Please protect me from Vishal, Amma” Adarsh buried his head inside Priya’s lap as he narrated his traumatic experience
    Priya could not believe what she heard.

She took Adarsh, held his hand and made him stand before the Idol of Lord Krishna.
    “Pray to God for forgiveness, Adarsh.” She gently told Adarsh.
    Adarsh kept his eyes closed as he prayed before God.
    Priya looked at Adarsh and kissed him. “Look, forget whatever happened. Have faith in God. Do only good to others.”
    Adarsh innocently nodded his head.

Priya shifted out of the flat in a few days and moved into a new house on rent.
    Adarsh recovered quickly. He even found some new friends and was very happy in different surroundings.

Priya continued Adarsh’s sessions with the psychiatrist and he could fully recover from the trauma. He even came third in the mid-term exams of the following year and was found developing interest in his academic sessions.

Priya was a contented woman and a happy mother. However, Vishal’s appearance as a ghost before Adarsh was an unsolved mystery for Priya as she could never forget the mysterious illness of Adarsh for her lifetime.

NOTE - I completed writing 30 short stories and hope one day, it will get published.
    I am happy to share some with all of you, Dear Indusladies bloggers.

2. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

What a story - it bought chills up my spine!
    You are certainly talented and will definately have your stories published someday.

3. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

That was a gripping story!!!
    I also hope that you publish your stories very soon...
    Wish you all the best

4. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai Suresh,

You have excelled your writings in this story. Hats off to you SMiyer.
    wish you all the best. Very eager tp see your publication of stories.

5. sureshmiyer

thanks for your appreciation

cheers
    suresh

6. sureshmiyer

thanks for your comments

cheers
    suresh

7. sureshmiyer

thanks for your appreciation

cheers
    suresh

8. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Superb one Suresh....the story was a touching one..

9. sureshmiyer

thanks for your comments

cheers
    suresh