1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A buzz, a burp and beads of sweat

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by knot2share, Dec 15, 2010.

1. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Are you wondering what this is all about? Can one experience all of this at the same time? Well, this is just another one of those crazy moments that I gladly would like to share with you. A peek into something that happened just recently.

After another long day’s work and a long-delayed train journey back home, attempting to cook something for dinner was the last thing on my mind. I would rather go to bed without eating than prepare something for dinner. But it is not just me here. My poor hubby has to be a partner in this starving act too and that did not seem fair to me.

Normally under such situations, I would shamelessly shout a YES to anybody who suggests that we stayed back for dinner. But this time, I tried to be nice! So instead, after a couple of social visits after work, we decided to opt for a take-away from Nandos, which has been our pick lately. It is known to be healthy too! Although Shiva might not agree with me on this :).

In about 7 minutes flat, our order was ready and we headed home in our car with the smell from the take-away packet stirring our nostrils and causing the tummy to grumble. It seemed like we were in a race against time to finish the meal ASAP. We changed into our comfortable home clothes, washed ourselves and got down to the business of eating. The meal tasted divine.

Both hubby and me have become very mild spice eaters after having come to this new country, unlike our family back home. We enjoy mild food and drinks these days. In fact when family visit us, they find that the sugar here is not sweet enough, salt is less salty, the tea is not strong enough and chilli powder is not hot. So the servings are double of everything when they are around, including oil!

As we were munching through our Nandos dinner, hubby noticed beads of sweat popping from the back of his neck. I began to develop a runny nose and teary eyes. The tip and sides of the tongue started to burn and my head was in a state of buzz. I could taste nothing except for the intense burning sensation on my tongue.

The buzzing became so intense that it started drilling through my ears too. We both gulped down a bottle of fizzy lemonade that was not chill and with the hope that the burning sensation would subside. The result was just a burp and nothing much.

My hubby cried out to me, “What have you done!” He really wanted to say, " What have I done to you?!!" But it didn't quite come out the right way as the tongue was numb.

Well, it was I who placed the order at the counter. I wanted something different for a change. Our eyes fell on the paper bag that was used to pack our meal. It said – 1 x half a chicken – HOT! with a picture of a bright red-hot chilli next to it. I fail to understand how people enjoy a meal that is HOT, EXTRA HOT or SUPREMELY HOT! Mild is beautiful.

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

A simple incident narrated in style. I was talking to a writer friend of mine. He said that you advance in writing you should have less of content and more of style.

Its difficult to practise. But you have done that Shree. I enjoyed the narration.
    I was looking for something dramatic towards the end. But you have ended your narration in your same style.

I think as I am growing as a writer I have started having the same tastes towards writing as you guys have towards food. not much salt, sweet or oil. That way it nourishes the soul and is good for health.
    That was a great post-lunch reading, Shree.
    congrats,
    sridhar

3. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

hi knot2share

things can be really funny sometimes when we recall about such events after a few days.

Thanks for sharing

warm regards
    suresh

4. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Knots..
    Nandos.. Yummy but spicy....
    my hubby loves eating green chillies with his dinner and so we often him with runny eyes and nose and yet ENJOYING HIMSELF...
    this goes beyond me...
    lovely blog.. enjoyed
    k

5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear shree,

Hahah you are the more adventurous one, is it, when it comes to trying out new things? that seems to be one helluva experience..all at the same time?.:biglaugh

We too are just not able to take spicy food (though once in a way I suddenly want to eat our avakka pickle). BTW mri was thrilled to find a nandos near her place last weekend.it is a favourite with the Malaysians, you know.

6. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Thank you very much Sji! So glad to know that you liked the narration. I am trying these days, quite hard, to stop rambling a lot as I do that a lot. Not sure if I see myself advancing in writing skills yet. Actually I might send u the uncut version of this blog and would like to see what you think about it :). Very glad to see you here and encourage me. Thank you again.

7. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Hello Suresh
    A great blogger like you spending some time on my crazy moments, is quite encouraging. You are right. It brings a smile recollecting such episodes. Thank you for coming and I am always happy to share.

8. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Hey K
    It is yummy no doubt. Even the thought of biting on a green chilly is making me wince! I remember my grandfather doing that everyday for his lunch and he just eats them like it is a lolly! I can't imagine their threshold.......It goes beyond me too! Lovely to see u here. Have fun at the IL meet.

9. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Heyyy Mindi
    I know I can surely a get a laugh out of you. Well normally I am not adventurous but sometimes. I like to stick with my comfort food most of the time. I never knew Nandos is a big thing among Malaysians. I have seen Nandos here and we hardly go there to be honest. But possibly over the last month, something changed my perception about the place. This was our third trip of indulgence and what a night to remember that was!! hahaha...I can surely relate to Mri about the excitement of finding a Nandos. You know our experience at a Burger King joint in London was pretty bad. The food did not taste good, the place was sooooo unwelcoming and the customer service was bad....

10. iniyamalar

iniyamalar Gold IL'ite

Oh..i totally loved it and it reminded me of an incident that happened a week ago..

We had gone with a friend's family to this Universal studios. After an exhausting day we decided to eat out in this quaint looking thai restaurant.
    I ordered a perfect looking chicken rice and my hubbie corrected me saying that 'here things will be very bland. You from madurai you wouldn't like it. Go for the hottest'

And he selected the rice with three chillies on the side.An ad in the front page of the menu said that the dish was voted the most spicy and hot dish.:)

That was the one day i would never forget..
    I literally had steams coming out of my ears like an old steam engine and i even acted like one "hoh..hooh.hohh..".Even my sight got blurred.

And just at that moment I understood how some of my western friends would have felt at my house parties.:rotfl

Enjoyed reading it dear..