1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A bond that moves...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by GoogleGlass, Nov 21, 2014.

1. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

IB - I was a kid and we moved to a different town and there we had no way to keep her, it is a painful emotion and we had to. I feel sorry for that even now.

2. GoogleGlass

thank you Kamalji for expressing your emotions - normally Kamalji is always humorous better be so to entertain us.

3. GoogleGlass

thank you for the fb and the nomination AR.

that was again a sad thing to hear, each of us have had similar experiences with pets.

4. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

Dear GG, I can feel your feelings . We had a dog . His name was Tom. He is long gone.
    But in my memory he is still alive today. Very nice writing !

1 person likes this.
  5. GoogleGlass

IB - I very much understand that feeling but now it is over 20 years - we have moved several cities now and I don't want to go and hear something that will make feel bad more. Have to console that she is some where safe and living...........

1 person likes this.
  6. viraghu

viraghu Gold IL'ite

really moved by your emotional bonding... Only rare cases, we can come across these kinds of bonding these days!! Btw such a lovable post! thnks for sharing :)

1 person likes this.
  7. GoogleGlass

that was nice of you to share Toms memory here P' - thank you.

8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear GG,
    Just now I happened to read your snippet on'bond that moves'-just moistened my eyes.In today's world even sons and daughters are stated to have a hello-hello relationship and the bonding is definitely on the declining trend.Sometimes I curse the 6th sense that is human,responsible for all this degradation.
    In our village home we had 4 or 5 cows and calves.
    In a joint family we used to take responsibility in turns to feed, bathe and clean the cow shed, prepare the cow dung cakes etc by turns.We knew to handle cows and calves and were trained in milking also.It was a pastime to take cows for grazing, take some books, lie down on mat under a shady tree,take curd rice , drink water from the nearby stream.We didn't think about infection or pollution while taking the unclear water straight from the brook.
    When I was 17, we had an unforgettable experience.The cow, Lakshmi by name ,gave birth to a lovely calf.Due to some complications in the delivery the calf died the next day. Even now the loud cry'Amma--------------------aa' of the cow is reverberating. The cow didn't take hay or any food or water however much we forced.
    In the nearby village 2 Kms away from our home a cow passed away during delivery leaving behind the child.

My father thought of getting the calf into our house.
    It is a known fact that cows will not suckle other than their own biological babes.
    We sought the help of a knowledgeable villager in this field.The cow remained in the cow shed at the back yard.
    The calf was brought home.
    We prepared a paste of boiled brinjals, betel leaves, Bishop's weed and Vasambu by grinding in a grindstone( Ammi). As the cow had just delivered the previous day, the villager could take out vaginal fluid of the cow. ( as the muscles had not contracted then)He mixed it with the herbal paste and applied it liberally throughout the calf's body. The idea was to convince the cow that the calf was born of her.

Some of our neighbours abused my father for having decided to cheat a dumb animal. But my father was worried about the motherly sentiments of the cow and we could no longer tolerate the pitiable cries of the cow.
    Even the gossiping and blaming neighbours were crowded at our cow shed to witness the scene.
    The young calf, after being smeared with the drug paste was made to enter the house which was adorned with auspicious kolam and semman. Amma hugged the calf and showed aarti to the baby . With a loud prayer the calf was brought into the cow shed.

It was a scene, to be seen to be believed.
    The calf was made to stand near the cow.Even the experienced villagers had a hesitation whether the cow will kick the young calf.The cow slowly stood up, saw the calf,hesitated for a while. For 3 mts or so it was just smelling the calf. Then it started licking the calf. The cow began to realise the drug mixed with vaginal fluid was something related to her own body fluid. She was satisified that the calf was her own. Tears rolled down her eyes. She fondly licked the calf . Within mts milk started flowing through her udders and with great sense of relief she started suckling her child.In front of 30-40 persons, the great event was staged.Tears rolled down our eyes.

Even people who blamed my father sought pardon after seeing the wonderful event of 'Maatha-shishu sangamam'.
    Perhaps this was the forerunner of 'Adoption Process' in human beings and natural acceptance.Actually the seemingly deceitful act was a blessing in disguise to both mother and the babe!

Jayasala 42

4 people like this.
  9. GoogleGlass

thank you VR

10. GoogleGlass

that was a real real emotional one J42 - your dad did the right thing and it did work.

these incidents prove time and again that we are no where near these 5 sensed beings.

thank you for sharing such a wonderful incident - it really brought tears again reading.