1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A bond that moves...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by GoogleGlass, Nov 21, 2014.

1. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

A bond that moves...

It was a small town where I grew up spending all my school days. Memorable years they were, friends were umpteen and each family member knew the other family and in a way it helped us all to shape up well in life. The teachers too come home to praise or complain the latter being the most, goes without saying. :)

We had a cow at home for the daily milk but it was a pet more than a cow and it was considered the Lakshmi at home and probably the eldest daughter at home for my parents. It was greyish in colour and had a white bindhi like mark in its forehead. It was so beautiful that even this day I remember it very much.

During the pongal celebration and on other occasions too I give bath to her and had a great time and it was fun beautifying her. These days I sometimes give bath to the car at home but it isn’t fun at all. I miss those days very much.

This fellow is attached to me very much being the youngest kid and keeps monitoring me more than my parents do. My parents scold me saying that I have spoiled her very much since she only eats what I eat – crispy dosa is our favourite.

During one of my birthdays I had taken chocolates to school and when back was giving all at home. She was watching me for long and I forgot her completely. She couldn’t bear that and came into the home and started chasing me and I ran hard and got up on to the bed. I never knew that she wanted the chocolate. She kept her both front legs on the cot and vigorously shook her head with her bells in the neck sounding a musical bgm.

I thought she is as usual playing with me but she was just interested to have the chocolates and my mom understood that, only after giving her a few did she leave me after rubbing my hands with her tongue. She was very happy and I thought she did smile. Pets do smile; cry you know that if you had one.

Once she was stolen by someone and you know that was totally a sad day and the whole household was in tears. Dad, mom, I and few others were all over the small town searching for her. Someone said that they saw a herd of cows being taken to Kerala for slaughtering, a usual scene in those areas. All of us were terrified and immediately my dad though it was late in the night set out in search in that direction.

Next day dad found our cow and after fighting with those guys brought her back home. All of us and the cow were really happy to reunite. A great reunion it was with tears in our eyes and hers as well.

Years later we were moving from that town and with heavy hearts decided that it was time to bid goodbye to our cow. This was the topic of discussion at home and the cow did understand this and there were tears in her eyes and was sporting a sad face as we did.

The day came when all of us were literally crying and she was not ready to leave the house. The guy who bought it had a tough time really taking her. He said he has never seen such a bonding, having been in the business of buying and selling cows for years.

Ammmmmaaaaaaaa the sound was like a cry for the final departure and all felt bad missing a close one at home. Till this day that final Ammmmmaaaaaaaa reverberates in my ears and truly speaks volumes of the pain in separation.

We had a month left to leave the town and in between she came running home from the new owner who was several kilometres away. All of us spoke to her, fed her and tried explaining that it is time to move on. Her tears did tell that she understood but she too was unable to bear the separation.

The new owner knew that she would come here only and came to take her. He too felt bad really since it was first time experience for him too – such a bond for a pet.

She left, we left the town but the memory is alive till date even after two decades. I would like to keep thinking that she is alive somewhere thinking of us, as we are about her. Those good thoughts let them remain as is, giving a sense of belonging to this world where we are emotionally bonded with those who we move around, be it human or a pet.

Intentionally I didn’t spell her name all through because she had the same name as our dear friend who left us crying a few weeks back here in IL. Only an Ammmmmaaaaaaaa reverberates in my ears thinking both of them…

The Ilayaraja song Ammaa Enrazhaikaatha Uyir Illaiyae Ammaavai Vanangaathu Uyarvillaiyae, really makes me cry hearing it each time and it tops my movers and shakers list of songs. This song connects me to both of them and truly I miss them both...

MANNAN (Tamil) film SONG 1 - Amma Endru - YouTube

satchitananda, Rise, Kamla and 19 others like this.

2. kiran.P

kiran.P New IL'ite

We had a cow in our village home a very long time ago. Once it was lost. A sad day for us all too. We looked everywhere and luckily someone had captured it and placed it in a holding in our local 'thana'. We rescued her.
    But not long after that we had to sell our cow as we were all leaving India to UK. Everythign we had --chickens and utensils, clothes given to relatives etc was all gone.
    I did become attached to the cow but we couldnt take her with us.
    Your story reminded me of my own event.
    This was in 1969.

Regards
    Kiran

1 person likes this.
  3. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

I am seeing an emotional GG here.very touching words.I never imagined a virtual friend's loss will have such an impact on us. KV we miss you dear.

1 person likes this.
  4. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

GG my white cow would eat halwa daily.Feeding her with100gms.halwa is a routine by my Appa.

2 people like this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

GG!!! That is such a touching story. It is amazing how animals can bond and move us beyond words. I do have a couple of these incidents with fish I keep in the house. I never ever thought it possible that fish could bond too till a couple of incidents happened. We all know many stories with pets. But these cows, I tell you they are really divine!

Reading your snippet, all I can say is that you have been lucky to have experienced this kind of wonderful bonding and that it is so nice to see that you still remember your cow with such affection.

The bond that you feel is beautifully portrayed here. Thank you for sharing with us.

1 person likes this.
  6. GoogleGlass

thank you KP for the fb and sharing a similar experience. pets are really unique in each household and they connect well, give us that immeasurable happiness.

7. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

Looking at the title, I was making a wild guess, 'is this a post from GG??' and lo..as soon as I open the link (from the recent posts' list), it is indeed you.

Everyone has emotions and at the same time, expressing it in such a way that even a stranger can actually feel those emotions ... and I am bad at the second one. Overall, I would say, such write ups would ease our pain/loss a little, if not completely.

1 person likes this.
  8. deepthiraj

deepthiraj Platinum IL'ite

Very Touching snippet GG....Nowadays when i think of her,this song goes into my mind...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8kayxD7o4w
    Parini oru monday night Kv kitta endha song ah kelunga nu sonnanga..Andha golden days lam thirumba varumaa...

1 person likes this.
  9. GoogleGlass

karpagam is her name mmaa - now that name does affect a lot, that's reality, thanks mmaa for the fb.

10. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Ah GG!
    You’re making me cry in the morning… Too touchy even for someone like me who don’t have much to share about pets.
    Not just that, it’s the love that bonds over the time and heart breaks that choke us when they’re gone once for all. That 'once for all' is the most painful word for me and I feel the lump in my heart while I write. Forget it GG, am too senti types.
    People still talk and advise me about the ‘detached attached’, but I don’t think I’ll ever learn that. I’ve given up. :)

She was such a sweet, must have been too difficult for your family to move on.
    Once me and sister bought those little chicks during our school days. One was taken away by the some wild birds and other( a big story) will write as a snippet about it. Me and her were the devils behind it.
    After that incident my amma never allowed us to have any pets at home but my dad still keeps talking about having pets in the farm house. Will see!

1 person likes this.