1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

a balloon on my fore head

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by strangerrr, Apr 4, 2012.

1. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

On that Wednesday morning, a man with a dull face appeared in front of the mirror and wished me good morning with a semi-forced smile as like any other day. He is the only person to wish me once I woke up.

Just then I noticed an un-blown balloon hanging on my fore head. I was puzzled and tried to pull I of… “Stop” – I heard a firm sound from nowhere. I stay alone and wonder who was it, that to in my bathroom. Then an angel appeared and smiled. “Hi”

“Long time, no see Angel” I replied and asked what the agenda of the visit was.

“Shall we play a game today” Angel asked.

“Game? Wowww.. you are such a chwweeet angel but if I could get a prize for it”

“Sure son, but you have to win in the game for that”

“Okay, first you tell what the game is then I decide” I said, if it’s something of difficult.

“The game is very simple; you have to be usual today” The Angel winked.

“But I couldn’t see any catch here; what’s the winning criterion? and what’s the reward?” I was hurrying for response.

“Let me explain, you have to live today as normal and as usual like any other day; If someone appreciate you or speak any good about you, there will be one cubic inch of air will be blow to the balloon on your head” the angel briefed about the game.

Just then I remembered about the balloon on my head and tried to ask “what if….”

“Yea if someone speaks the other way, you have 30 seconds for you to prove that it was not correct; if you don’t give valid explanation in 30 second the balloon would burst and eventually you lose the game”

“Okay, I am on; what the prize?” I queried.

“The prize will be something you like most; the size will be proportionally higher according to the volume of the balloon at the end of the day” the angel sounded like a physics teacher.

“I am fine with it as I have nothing to lose” I winked.

“Nothing to lose?” asked the angel skeptically.

“What would be the timeline of the game dear Angel?”

“Hmmm… until you come back here and complete your bath before your bed” the angel promptly replied and disappeared without creating any kind of misty or smoky stuff; this Angel should be part of some ‘save environment’ campaign I thought.

---

As the watchman helped me in opening the gate of the office, I wished him good morning with a smile and spared time to query about the leg which he hurt in an accident. He responded with his trade mark shaking of head and said I am so kind with him by querying about him.

Suddenly I heard a «hisssss», oh, it’s the angel blowing the balloon. An unexpected maiden score.

As I was plugging in my lap top, One of my colleague explained there was an email regarding a client audit, in which one our site done very poor. I just wished him good luck to resolve the issue and started to clear my mails without bothering about that was not under my scope. Meanwhile my colleague excused himself with a sweet smile as ever and left the room.

After some time, My boss came to my work station started shouting in the very bossy manner that I have been very casual these days and not bothered to involve with the team, ___ ____ ___ ___ I politely asked what the matter is; for which he responded that the other colleague has told him that I didn’t denied to him on compiling the corrective action and reply to the client which he sought for my help.

I assured my boss within 40 minutes, I would try to do my best to resolve it. He went and the angel appeared having a pin between his thumb and index finger and started counting down from THIRTY. I pleaded the angel that I have nothing to do with what my boss said, its completely untrue and it’s all because of the envy colleague this entire mess up is; and I requested to grand time until I work on it and possibly until a reply from the client. The Angel accepted the request.

For next 25 minutes two fingers from each of my hands busy hitting the keyboard, and finally managed to take a rest after one final hit at the sent option.

A pop up in my screen reminded that I have a vendor meeting along with the purchase manager. In next 10 minutes we were in the meeting room. It was like any usual vendor meeting, better part is I don’t know him personally so, so all the heated argument was directed to my purchase manager. At one point, I interrupted both of them as there was nothing constructive going on. I tossed up few suggestions and it end with a win-win situation for both. And more importantly I scored brownie points from both my purchase manager and the vendor.

The meeting with the Angel in the morning has eaten up time for breakfast. I rushed to the Cafeteria to find a relatively long queue. Almost when I was about to pick my tray, a group of ladies came in and it’s an unwritten so-called-ethic, I allowed them to bye-pass me for their lunch with smiling face and burning stomach. Only one among them was thankful and rest three of them did nothing to add some air in the balloon.

Unlike other days most of the dishes were messed up. Went to the cook and said the dessert was so nice and asked him to improve the palatability of the main course. I understood from him that the main cook was absent and he was just an assistant cook who used to do the mi-en-place. I gave him some tips from my end and he helped me to add another cubic inch of air in my balloon.

As I was coming back to my work station crossing my boss's cabin; he waved his hands with a big grin to come in. I went in thinking now what; He was appreciating that the client had accepted the corrective plan suggested and even accepted to consider some of the suggestion we gave for the support from their end to improve the service standard.

The angel appeared and disappeared before stating I was still on the game and blow a cubic inch of air into the balloon. Ooopz, I felt like bailed out.

That afternoon I had less opportunity to interact with people and when I did, I kept soft and sweet playing a defense game. Evening as I reached home and I spoke some memorized sentences to my cab driver. He smiled and said that I had improved on the local language.

I called home and unlike other days I answered promptly to all my amma’s queries and in the way she expect me to, detailing the food I ate, the dress I wore, the food I was about to cook for the dinner. I was even considering if to tell her how many dogs I came across in the street as one of my friend used to do.

Then I logged into my skype and one of my friend called me and as soon as I attended it, he start abusing me for not speaking with him for almost a month. I took a quick second from him to explain the Angel that this is the way he greet me and showing the chat log the number of my offliners that he missed from me. Uuuuff, all I managed in 27 seconds and felt I almost lost the game.

I decided no more people for the day and logged off from all those apps. And an idea sparked, I logged into IL and thought of demanding some blows into the balloon if I get some positive comments in my blog.

Unfortunately, that day I tried something different in the name of so-called-story writing and got a much deserving not-so-good first comment, which is worth to burst off my balloon. I went down to cook and had a nice dinner and killed rest of the time in front of TV and some books.

I no longer could wait what would be the prize as I almost won the game; I decided to go for bath and officially complete the home run. I looked into the mirror; my reflection gave a welcoming smile before I did. I smiled back looking at the size of the balloon on my head.

“How was the day?” the reflection in my mirror.

“Great… Excellent” I replied, still analyzing at the size of the balloon.

“HYPOCRITE” I heard the voice from the mirror.
    I was shocked and before I could gather my sense on what was said, I heard a firm “ZERO” & then followed a bursting sound.

2. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

:) :) ha ha Strangerrr, Enjoyed reading it.

And I thought, you will be getting the prize for winning and you dissappointed me with the unexpected twist :cry:. But I liked the point you made through this.

Your narration kept gripping till ending.

Liked the Good Work :thumbsup

3. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

That was too good Strangerrr. Just recollecting a quote from Confucius - Its something like - "You are lazy even if you do the task but if there exists a better way of doing it." -rgs

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Let me get a square inch of blowing in my balloon by praising your blog. Just kidding :) Another remarkable blog Strangerrr. Keep those wonderful ideas coming. Writing comes so naturally to you and keep up that good work. Keep writing more blogs. If you commute from your work back home, think of more such ideas.

Viswa

5. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

So the prize turned out to be a twist! Well written!

6. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi bro,

Loved it!! Great one!! Nice twist at the end. I hv said this so many times, I will say it once more, I absolutely love your style of writing!! Great going :)

Have a great day!

Akila

7. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

different and very unique post! loved reading it

8. g3sudha

g3sudha IL Hall of Fame

Hi

Very nicely written, enjoyed
    Keep writting.....

9. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

thanks, thanks pallavi for your feedback & appreciation :)

10. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

i heard a sentence similar to this quote, but never knew it was confucius quote!

Thanks for your appreciation Rgs :)