1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A 5-Star dinner!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

I asked that fellow, do Indians spend that much money, and he said yes.God knows from where people get this kind of money.

And he said come and have a Dad called “ Bukhari Dal” or somethings, for 800/- a plate, fried in lots of Butter.But having this dal at this fprice will give me Bukhar( Fever).HAHA.

I always have BL coming voer fresh from abroad, I have so many cousins coming over from abroad.I just drink Royal Stag of 325/- and keep the BL for friends like you.I like the strong taste of Indian whiskey,

So the BL is waiting for you Sri, either u come to the bottle or the bottle will come to u.(Something like the Ibrahim and the mountains eh !).Regards.kamal

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamal
    Jaipur having been a Royal capital and Rajputs being people with a lot of pride in their lineage, you people can afford a plate of Dal, even if it is Bukhar causing, for 800 bucks! We Madrasis will not spend 800 bucks even for a month's supply of Dal!
    If all that BL in your cellar is genuine stuff, this Mohammed will come to the mountains!
    Sri

3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Paying Rs 195 for Vathal Kuzhambu. Grr. What a waste of money. And potato curry too for three-figure prices.If you want to splurge splurge sensibly by ordering exotic items. If you want to order Vathal Kuzhambu make sure it has been translated into Chinese on the menu!

As for ordering exotic items once I wandered into an Afghan restaurant in Hamburg which promised vegetarian specdialities (yes, Afghan vegetarian specialities!). I ordered a dish with a real long and winding exotic-sounding name in Pushthu or Dari which the waiter said was vegetarian but did not bother to read the German translation alongside on the menu. What the guy brought floored me. It was aloo paratha with pudina raita. I had to drown my disappointment in two large kegs of beer.

4. Cheeniya

Dear Balajee
    I guess if you want to have even 'pazhaya soru' with 'vadu mangai' (old rice with mango pickle) in 5-Star ambience, that is the kind of money you'll need to spend! Worse still is the proud smile that we throw around when the Steward compliments us on the excellent choice of menu! We fail to notice that he is only having a dig at us!

I wonder what the paratha with pudina raita is called in Pushthu. Knowing the language as I do (or as I don't do!) I am sure it must be a tongue twister. It will be necessary to untwist the tongue first before we go about eating it!
    Sri

sindmani likes this.
  5. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,

Dinner in a 5 star hotel is great as long as it is hosted by the company or others… hahahahahahahahaha… Not on personal dinner with family… I have never gone to a star hotel dinner with my family till date…

When we go out for a dinner, we want to enjoy the food and the taste… With our traditional upbringing and our fussy nature of our food… we will not nourish much of the outside food… Over and above that my DW being a good cook… will say, we can make it at home… so… when we go with our kids we chose the hotel where we can enjoy our food…

5 star dinner is just for the show off… not for enjoying the food… It is absolute waste of money at times…

Vathal kuzhambu and potato curry… It is my favourite…

Anyway, next time when you plan to go… please let us also know… we will also join…

Veda

6. Cheeniya

Dear Veda
    When you talk so much about Shanthi's dishes, why would I waste money on 5 Star hotels? I'll just make a beeline to your house when you are here next time!
    I go to 5 Star hotels to see how people waste their money!
    Sri

7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya Sir,
    A very very late fb, 1yr and 4 months later..:hide:
    thanks to Kamalji for re-opening this thread...

From the exchange of views here.. I am sure to make a decision of not going to a 5 Star hotel, here again...not that I am a regular visitor there...but gyanodhayam dawned upon me only now..
    One incident came up to my mind....my youngest daughter, and the eldest one were taken to a hotel by my bil's family in Mysore..(i did not accompany them at that time).
    When asked them what to order, she ordered for Masal Dosa...when questioned upon why you mom don't do it at home, she answered, she doesn't do it..Rant
    Part of it is true, because whenever I make dosas, these children cleverly avoid that food and take the food prepared that day, eventhough they don't like it at the first place.
    I think what my daughter ordered is not being prepared at home, right, isn't it!

sriniketan

8. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,

We are honoured to have the Great Guruji at our house for a happy meal... Only thing is you have to bear with the ambiance.... hahahahahaha.... hope Shan is not reading this part relating to the ambiance...

So... When should I plan my next trip... If everything goes well and God wishes and Guruji's asirvadham is there.... then we will meet in 1st week of October...

Veda

9. Cheeniya

Dear Sri
    There is one advantage about having Vathal Kuzhambu in 5 star hotels. It acquires 5 Star status. So next time, when someone complains about frequent preparation of VK at home, we can point out that it is the most sought after item in Hotels and by eating it at home, we have saved some Rs 1000! I see nothing wrong in ordering for Masal Dosa in 5 Star hotels as it is hardly made at home. But the problem is that in 5 Star Hotels like Dakshin in Park Sheraton, the Dosa and the Masala are served separately unlike Udupi Hotels where the Dosa is served stuffed with Masala and bursting at it seams!
    Incidentally, your daughters appear to be very sensible girls!:biggrin2:
    Sri

sindmani likes this.
  10. Cheeniya

Dear Veda
    I have been a guest at some houses where there is excellent ambience like a 5 Star Hotel but the hearts of the hosts shut automatically like the doors of a lift upon sighting guests! I prefer houses where a red carpet is rolled out in the host's heart. Who bothers about physical ambience?
    Sri

sindmani likes this.