#_musings

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by kaniths, May 30, 2018.

1. Maayon

Maayon Bronze IL'ite

Hi!
    I have a feeling that Tv series is the reflection of society - what people like to see is what they deserve.
    I watched and liked Expanse - complete sci-fi package. On top, other Netflix series like Dark, stranger things includes science and it's emotional and psychological impacts on people for uncommon things. The combo of science and EQ related stuff keep me pinned to the couch.

Away from Sci-fi, If interested I suggest to watch Broad church and Safe to see the emotional changes in people. Both are Uk Tv Series.

Original music video - Barns Courtney - Glitter & Gold

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Gauri03 and kaniths like this.
  2. Maayon

Maayon Bronze IL'ite

Wow!
    The ventilation system of termites is amazing. The re-engineering to study the same by picturing cross-section of termite hill for each 1mm and remodeling with the computer is incredible for the age of video.
    Thanks for sharing.:clap2:

Out of curiosity, I checked for more details and found another interesting link

Humans learned a lot from termites in last several decades and started imbibing in our daily lives.
    They have admirable
    • Natural ventilation system
    • Identification of transport way and construction of infrastructure such as bridges to enhance food transport
    • multiple lanes and 2-way highways
    • Security setup
    • Divison of work
    • Sustainable food management with fungus growth etc.
    Nature is a never-ending source of knowledge and experience. Human race continues to learn from it and reinvent for betterment.:thumbsup:

Thyagarajan, Gauri03 and kaniths like this.
  3. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Thank you both, Enjoyed the shares and your observations.

I was reminded of 'Terracotta Beehive', our very own ingenious eco-friendly low energy (industrial) cooling system (prototype) developed by AntStudio, India.

Innovative-cooling-installation-in-New-Delhi-11-889x720.jpg

To #SustainableEngineering :beer-toast1:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    satchitananda likes this.
  4. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Insert #AI and #Biomimicry! :grinning:

An old video (that I stumbled upon while exploring Termite Engineering).

Termite inspired robots, that could replicate the autonomy of Termites to work decentralized, and without direct communications. (More such recent breakthrough information on the Futurology thread, if you are interested.) :innocent:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    satchitananda likes this.
  5. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Termite mound shape, and my neurons linked it to volcanoes (maybe because of the hawaii eruptions that's overflowing every newfeeds these days with so much mag(ma)netism! I'm not complaining!)
    Amidst the lava pics, this map interested me.

Screenshot_2018-06-04-14-21-54-116_com.android.chrome~01~01.png

That's every volcano that has erupted since the historical Krakatoa in 1833! Roughly 400 (terrestrial), of which around 200 has occurred in the 2000s!

And, Kilauea has erupted 95 times since 1883! :nut:

And how had it look from space?

Screenshot_2018-06-04-14-25-54-696_com.google.android.gm~01~01.png

#Hypno(magne)tic! :smileycat::hearteyecat:

6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha! Ahem...Not going to lie. The blue sky title does solve a bunch of my post shuffling quandaries. :D

kaniths likes this.
  7. Gauri03

Well too many heartbreaks with GoT. A lot of the romance of the books was drowned out by repeated disappointments, first by GRRM himself and then the show. Imagine being an ASOIAF fan--literally waiting decades for the books, only to see the story get more and more convoluted with no coherent end in sight. Then the author gets himself a lucrative TV show and gives up writing altogether. Then he goes on and lets the show-runners write themselves an ending which is chock full of deus ex machinas and plot holes the size of Old Valyria. I get that it is a fantasy but the diehard book fans are personally invested in the canon. You can't willy-nilly rewrite characters arcs and long standing story lines. The last season was the proverbial last nail. Canonical continuity and any semblance of logic were sacrificed at the altar of plot advancement. Sadly, I have given up on GoT. :unamused:

8. Gauri03

#beercapcollectors

My husband likes collecting beer bottle crowns. His goal is to collect at least one cap from every country in the world where beer is brewed. At restaurants, in airplanes, even in the middle of a national park, he is the guy requesting the server to save the beer bottle cap for him. :lol: He has a fairly largish collection already but most of the crowns are from German or Austrian breweries. He has plans for an art wall in his 'future' man cave. Cool hobby isn't it? You never to have to make an excuse to chug a bottle of beer -- "but it's for my hobby honey!" :rolleyes:

kaniths likes this.
  9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I don't know if you remember but back in my growing up years, the 90s era, 7up used to advertise free cool stuff for every 5 / 10 / ... 50 bottle caps collected and sent to them. Unaware as kids that it's a promotional trick, I and friends dutifully collected. Hard work you know, can't just drink so much soda anyway. We could only manage < 10 maximum most times and exchanged it in the shops for some useless, glowing green strap on wristbands. :sweatsmile: Lol. Looking back it feels so silly today but the joy then was priceless. Likewise with collecting 'LactoKing' chocolate wraps though a sweet thing about LactoKing company was that they sent birthday cards every year until I turned 16. :blush:

Later in life, I started collecting rare edition toys, vintage cameras, fridge magnets from trips... and like any first-timer, I was very fascinated with wines so all the labels and corks too. Every damn thing accumulating over the years wasting shelf spaces! :facepalm: I have given up and a #minimalist now! :grinning: I do make a point to try local food and drinks during travels, but memorabilia is just in my head, as moments that I enjoyed. :innocent:

I know. Beer? ;)

Yes. Let's toast to his and get drunk too! :lol: :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Maayon likes this.
  10. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Catching up... Visual History of Light.

About the relationship between mankind and light, that changed the course of our growth. :cool:

More detailed timeline of light inventions in human history: The Iridescent History of Light

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018