90/10 principle in life

Discussion in 'Jokes' started by sujavenkat, Mar 30, 2011.

1. sujavenkat

sujavenkat New IL'ite

Hi friends, this I read it somewhere and applied this principle in life, and it makes a lot of difference in my life. Initially it was difficult, but now making a peaceful life.
    :thumbsup
    Discover the 90/10 Principle. It will change your life (at least the way you react to situations). What is this principle?

10% of life is made up of what happens to you. 90% of life is decided by how you react. What does this mean?

We really have no control over 10% of what happens to us. We cannot stop the car from breaking down. The plane will be late arriving, which throws our whole schedule off. A driver may cut us off in traffic. We have no control over this 10%. The other 90% is different. You determine the other 90%.

How? By your reaction. You cannot control a red light. However, you can control your reaction. Do not let people fool you; YOU can control how you react.

Let us use an example: You are eating breakfast with your family. Your daughter knocks over a cup of coffee onto your business shirt. You have no control over what just happened. What happens next will be determined by how you react. You curse. You harshly scold your daughter for knocking the cup over.

She breaks down in tears. After scolding her, you turn to your spouse and criticize her for placing the cup too close to the edge of the table. A short verbal battle follows. You storm upstairs and change your shirt. Back downstairs, you find your daughter has been too busy crying to finish breakfast and get ready for school. She misses the bus. Your spouse must leave immediately for work.

You rush to the car and drive your daughter to school. Because you are late, you drive 40 miles an hour in a 30 mph speed limit zone. After a 15-minute delay and throwing $60 traffic fine away, you arrive at school. Your daughter runs into the building without saying goodbye. After arriving at the office 20 minutes late, you find you forgot your briefcase. Your day has started te rrible. As it continues, it seems to get worse and worse. You look forward to coming home, When you arrive home, you find small wedge in your relationship with your spouse and daughter.

Why? Because of how you reacted in the morning. Why did you have a bad day?
    A. Did the coffee cause it?
    B. Did your daughter cause it?
    C. Did the policeman cause it?
    D. Did you cause it?

The answer is “D”.

You had no control over what happened with the coffee. How you reacted in those 5 seconds is what caused your bad day. Here is what could have and should have happened.

Coffee splashes over you. Your daughter is about to cry. You gently say, “Its ok honey, you just need to be more careful next time”. Grabbing a towel, you rush upstairs. After grabbing a new shirt and your briefcase, you come back down in time to look through the window and see your child getting on the bus. She turns and waves. You arrive 5 minute s early and cheerfully greet the staff. Your boss comments on how good the day you are having.

Notice the difference?

Two different scenarios. Both started the same. Both ended different.

Why? Because of how you REACTED.

You really do not have any control over 10% of what happens. The other 90% was determined by your reaction.

2. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    i agree with u...............one should try & use this rule as much as possible but as humans we err..............still try try until u succeed............:thumbsup
    pragati

3. SRK123

SRK123 Silver IL'ite

HI,

Great principle. I am already trying to implement this in my life. Because, I am very over reactive and usually spoil my day by myself :bonk If there is nothing to react about, I will bring something which happened in the past and start reacting about :crazy. I am trying to change this behaviour of mine. But your principle has given me some more motivation.:thumbsup
    Thanks for the push.

-kiran.