1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

9 Year Old Extreme Stubbornness And Tantrums..please Help!

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by anika987, Jun 3, 2022.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

My gal threw a tantrum today for not giving her the noodles and tv time.I caved a bit and set some screen time and gave her the noodles.These days she just loves to irritate me and see me break down.Today she was like “you love my cousin more than me” something like that.I was like nothing like that and she kept arguing and fighting. We had a martial arts class and She absolutely refused to attend it.I was calm and tried till the nth minute but she did not budge and was super stubborn.I had no choice to cancel the class.

I cancelled and am fuming but still in control.

How to deal with this kind of tantrum and stubbornness.It’s making me so mad.

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Use the noodles and TV time. She can get her desired items only if she finishes what is on her schedule. Instead of saying no to TV and then giving in because of the constant nagging, if you negotiate a little and stay firm on having her do what you want before giving her the TV time, your stress will be much reduced.

She’s only nine. By the time she’s 13 and not getting ready to get to school on time, these tactics come in handy. A friend told me to keep her highly desired eyeliner in my control and give it to her only when she got dressed and was ready to leave at a certain time. I had to give in to the eyeliner but that eyeliner saved me many high BP mornings!

And yes, this is normal tweenish stage behavior. She’s trying to exert her independence a little. Don’t worry too much.

MalStrom, chanchitra and anika987 like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I didn’t yell laks..but I am
    So mad that I am not even talking to her..
    So stubborn to the extent of canceling a class:.

it is stressing but will try your tips

Laks09 likes this.
  4. Laks09

She’s nine yaar. Take it easy. Don’t take these things personally.

ashima10 and anika987 like this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

She called me stupid
    Stupid piece of crap..
    Useless and worthless:.

I always loved and tried to raise her well..

Laks09 likes this.
  6. Swetha52003

Swetha52003 Gold IL'ite

Anika, don’t take it personally. I know it is hard to stomach and deeply hurtful. But she must be upset about something. Is this martial arts class against her wish ? Don’t talk about it to her now .
    Talk to her when she is calm down. You will also know about her true intentions and thoughts when she is calm. Acknowledge her emotions, yes I know she expressed it very poorly and it is difficult to find compassion after hearing what she said. Slowly explain her how words can hurt someone deeply and we cannot even take it back. You can tell her how hurt you were without pointing finger at her. She will feel less defensive and be open to talk. Tell her there are better ways to express emotions like “ I am mad right now “ or “ I don’t want to talk to you right now “. You can also tell her while you are forgiving, others in her life may not be forgiving if she uses the hurtful words. Relax dear, this is nothing. As my colleague and a friend say, “ wait for the teenage years “ :)

Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  7. Laks09

Take away a privilege for running her mouth like that. You not talking to her is only going to reinforce her behavior. Give her a consequence that really matters to her.
    Do not allow disrespectful speech but also know this is coming from what she’s hearing in school and other places. You can’t control what she hears but can give her immediate consequences for what she reproduces so she won’t do it.

These are all typical. She is trying to push your boundaries and make you react. Stand firm and give her the consequence. Also, don’t get worked up and raise your stress levels. You show her who is the boss and go drink a filter coffee while she pouts.

8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I agree with Laks. Pushing boundaries is normal at this age but rudeness is not to be tolerated.
    Identify some high-value items and activities and use those for consequences.

Laks09, Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  9. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

I agree with Laks, Swetha and Malstrom. Don't take the words uttered by her so seriously. Children use these words which they learn from their school mates. It is not from their hearts and they don't even know the meaning of these words. Show her more love. This sort of behaviour is just attention seeking. Show that you care for her more than anyone else. Spend more time with her. Treat her as a friend. Watch TV shows with her however silly and childish such shows may be and offer your comments or views. Her mind will definitely change once she realizes that you are the most important person in her life.

10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you guys..very helpful
    Tips

yesterday I was calm and allowed her to vent out. After a while..her dad came and addressed her.

Later I went out for a walk with her and she told me when she gets angry at times..she isn’t able to control her emotions and lashes out but she didn’t mean to..She was very calm after a walk .

I told her to channel her energy in things which she loves maybe a book or something.I am also planning to take her for walks now and then so that she relaxes.She does some sport activities twice a week for now.Today I will talk to her calmly again.

For me more than anything..I want her to learn to control her emotions

Laks09, Thyagarajan, 1Sandhya and 3 others like this.