8th std in chennai

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by maybe2010, Feb 24, 2010.

1. maybe2010

maybe2010 New IL'ite

Hi

Its a great forum with wonderful, helpful ladies. Looking forward to be an active contributor in future.

I desperately need some pointers....

I know a lot has been discussed and there is tons of information but I hope someone can poin me in the right direction

Have 2 girls currently studying 8th and 4th Grade in USA.

Looking to put them in 5th and 9th STD in 2010-2011

Need a good school in chennai, preferably in Anna Nagar and surroundings

They do not know any 2nd language at all. Only a little bit of conversation tamil

What are the hassles, I am looking at??

Thank you for your help

- A very confused mom

2. maybe2010

maybe2010 New IL'ite

Hi Ladies

After poring over the forum for 24 hrs straight...
    I've concluded that people in my shoes seem to prefer

I level

St brittos - Velachery
    Gateway - ECR
    Billabong - ECR
    Schram - Maduravoyal, The one in Anna Nagar is for little kids
    La Chatelaine - Alwarthirunagar
    American School - ECR

All these schools are very far from Anna Nagar.

II Level

SBOA - Heard its hard to get admitted in 9th grade
    Chennai public School - not so good reviews especially since they are pretty new
    Spartan - I personally heard some issues, so thats out for me.

Help me out with your contributions...

Thanks

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

maybe2010,

welcome here. It is a bit scary when you have kids getting into the 9th during transition isn't it. but kids are resilient, and with girls it should be a wee bit better..(no, i am not biased, i have one from each gender, so i know what i am talking about.)

I hope you have gone through most of the threads that we have talked about..if not here are the links that i would suggest you look into..

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/schools/85012-cbse-schools-new-grading-system.html -
    from this thread you will come to know the academic year for 9th starts from april1st and not june..so you should be here pronto to put your kid in one of the schools.

Some of our friends who returned with school going kids have shared their experiences here
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/return-to-india/46528-how-do-you-feel-after.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...-kids.html?highlight=nri+kids+second+language

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/schoolgoers-and-teens/18621-school-hunting.html

Go through these discussions too.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies

After poring over the forum for 24 hrs straight...
    I've concluded that people in my shoes seem to prefer

good that you have zeroed in on a few.till last year getting admission at the 9th standard level would not have been easy.

I level

St brittos - Velachery - ok as long as you don't have great expectations. the teaching is good. but can be better. if your kid is above par, then she can do very well. here, with a little extra coaching from the outside for the second language, she can fare well with other things.

Gateway - ECR - The school is expensive and some parents do not have much satisfaction here.

Billabong - ECR - ICSE school with a very high fees. not a bad choice, as the school does help your kiddo with the second language .

Schram - Maduravoyal, The one in Anna Nagar is for little kids - Do not know how the seniors in the school are faring, but again this is good. if you are looking in the madurvoyal area, you could check out lalaji-omega too.

La Chatelaine - Alwarthirunagar - the school is good, but i am not sure about the second language. as there is a relaxation with the no exams, maybe they will take kids at 9th.

American School - ECR - works out well for transition. and also quite expensive. the kids will not have the competitive spirit that you see in the kids in state schools.

All these schools are very far from Anna Nagar.

quite true. all these schools are far away from anna nagar. you need to prioritize, as it is a important year in the education of your dd.

II Level

SBOA - Heard its hard to get admitted in 9th grade - unless you have high recommendation or willing to give donation, it is not possible. the school has very high class strengths -around 50/60 which does not board well with nri parents esp..from us and uk.

Chennai public School - not so good reviews especially since they are pretty new- as expected from any new school. i would not recommend this for 9th.
    Spartan - I personally heard some issues, so thats out for me.
    - they did not get affliation from cbse and the kids in the 9th and 10th were asked to check out other schools. other schools sensing blood, asked for huge donations ....my heart goes out for those parents.

Help me out with your contributions...
    Ultimately it is your decision. we can just tell you or give you info.all the best.

Thanks

5. ramsi95050

ramsi95050 New IL'ite

6. maybe2010

maybe2010 New IL'ite

Thank you to shanvy and ramsi95050 for your inputs and links. I do have other questions now...

Why CBSE is better than matriculation for US returned kids??
    What kind of documnets do Indian schools require as Tc from USa schools

I'd really appreciate if I can hook up with someone from USA who's put their child in school in chennai and the documnets that were required

Desperately in need of help

Thanks

7. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

In Anna Nagar u have the SBOA school, the DAV in Mogappair which is beyond Anna Nagar, Bain School in Anna Nagar. Bain School is matriculation. I am a Bain School (Main school at Kilpauk product) Loved the school very much.

Anna Adarsh Jr College is also in Anna Nagar. All these are good schools as far as my knowlege goes. DAV is most sought after among Chennaites.

8. goodfreind

goodfreind Senior IL'ite

Yes we do need tc frm usa schhol ..u can cal us schhol and ask them to send in emial ..or ask freinds

or let m eknow if i can help

gud school in chennai i saw in SUNTV program.. there is s choll same as USA internation level wit swimming ..jim and class room wow awesome and big schhool.. they didnt shw name

can uchk the name in chneai
    i will let u knw if iget cjance

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame