1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

8 month old- 3 solids feeds or 2 solid feeds?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by hs2009, Dec 17, 2009.

1. hs2009

hs2009 Silver IL'ite

Hi

I am up with soo many doubts.. I wanted to know how many solid feeds to be given to 8 month old? I have read in various books/ websites that it should be ideally 3 feeds. My doubt is I alter solid feed with formula feed. Hence their is a gap in subsequent feeds.

DD has now increased the gap in btw the feeds hence in a day she is taking 2 solid feeds and rest is formula. I wanted to ask should I reduce one formula feed and make it solid feed in order to give her 3 feeds a day? Or it is fine this way.

Thanks

2. raji1974

raji1974 New IL'ite

Hai,

Your baby has crossed eight months. Now u can give three times solid. She might have got milk tooth also. Now u have to add salt, light pepper taste and sour taste also.

Don/t look into book or website. Give healthy food whatever your people are talking. In our house we will prepare normal meals, the same meal we will give to our baby. There is no formula or solid. Morning one cup milk or mother milk, 7.30. idli or idappam. 9.30 poridge or smashed vegetable with pepper and salt. 11.30. dal soup watery with salt. 1.30. rasam rice or pappu rice or curd rice. inbetween from 2.30 to 4.00 let baby sleep. 5.00pm give one glass milk with biscuit smashed. 7.30 give hot rasam rice. 9.00 give one cup hot milk without sugar (it won't do susu in the bed).

Raji

3. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

My paed has given four timings:-

8 am, 1 pm, 4 pm , 8 pm

I feel kids when they grow and with their activities they need four feeds since I am working and as my paed mentioned, I strictly stick to the timings. Between the solids I give cow's milk.

4. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Himaani,

The general guideline is that under 1 year formula or breastmilk should be the baby's main source of nutrition. Solids at this age are not primarily for nutrition but just to help with introducing to a variety of tastes, textures etc.

Can't seem to find the source but at this age your baby should be getting somewhere in between 24 - 30 oz formula. If you give solids three times , just make sure your baby is not too full to drink formula. He needs that for his nutrition and growth. When my baby was 8 months, he was on solids 2 times. Slowly increased to 3 times by 10 months.

5. hs2009

hs2009 Silver IL'ite

Thanks all for your replies.

Pavarun thats what I have also read that till one year milk is the main source. I am giving one feed of solid and then milk. So that the milk requirement is taken care of.

Lee: Can you share with me in brief what you feed your LO four times a day for ideas? Like i make one morning feed of cereal with formula and fruit purée. Afternoon: veg mash/purée of veggies like carrots, beans, cauliflower and potatoes. Night- Daal Mash- Daal with vegetables.

Also Pavarun n Lee can you advise me that can I start her with daliya? As I gave her oats cereal when she was 6 and a half months old but she got constipated. Can I start that now? As I am giving her at present rice single grain cereal.

6. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Himani,

Here is my DD diet chart:-

8 am - Oats boiled with water without sugar and add milk/ Ragi porridge. I do this on alternate days.
    1 pm - Dalia with carrot and beans - no salt. You need to soak in advance.
    4 pm - 1 Stewed Apple/ 1 Ripe Banana
    8 pm - Rice, Moong Dal boiled alongwith small pieces, yellow pumpkin, bottle gourd, lauki, spinach leaf, carrot, beans without salt.

I made a combination of raw rice and moong dal in the ration of 3:1 glasses and use two teaspoons for everyday preparation.

I am yet to start the soups, I tried with tomato but my DD doesn't like the taste. Today I asked my maid to make the soup, not puree just mash, lets see how it goes. I stick to the same schedule since my DD is happy with it and all the vitamins have been covered. Additionally my paed has also prescribed the calcium and iron supplement.

I have opted to stay away from the mixer so I mash the food with the spoon, DD has adjusted to the texture. I didn't want the pasty texture as she will get used to it then introducing the coarse texture become a problem. Yes till six months I used pasty texture and now just boil well and it gets mashed well. Since DD is nibling on everything these days I keep the chappati handy :)

7. hs2009

hs2009 Silver IL'ite

Hi Lee

Sorry for the delay in replying was traveling and have been away for a while. Thanks for sharing this chart. I need your inputs on the following:

1. Oats- Which oats do you use. Can I use Quaker Oats? Also can you share the aprox propotions of making the same? Thanks. I am from North India hence not to familiar with Ragi but have read about it a lot in this forum. Have not tried the same. I usually give her rice cereal or oatmeal cereal( alternate days) from Gerber mixed with formula and fruit puree prepared at home or from Gerber while travelling.

2. Daliya- Can you share the preparation method and proportions.

3. DD has always liked fruits in her cereal apart from pears puree. Today I plan to give her banana mash in milk. Hoping she likes it:)

4. DD hasnt teethed so far! Also have noticed she likes food to be more in puree form than solid. I use a mixie but the puree is not very smooth like it has soft chunks which make her use her jaws. This is basically to have little liquid form. Is that fine? Is this what you mean by texture? I have started her on chapati soaked in daal mash.

8. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Himaani,

1. I use Quaker oats. I tablespoon cooked in water and then add milk no sugar needed.
    2. Dalia - I am sure you will find it in the North. I just take carrots, beans and dalia - 1 tbsp add some water and pressure cook and serve. Since its wheat it is healthy and can be given. You can soak it in advance if needed for faster cooking.
    3. Go straight with bananas. I give plain bananas, earlier I gave with milk but after 6 months I give banana directly, you can scrape in the spoon and give if convenient.
    4. I do not know whether its incidental. Thanks to Rosary for putting the statement well, that sufficient munching pushes the teeth forward. I have stopped purees from 6 months on my own, DD has developed her lower tooth and has rotis too that because she puts newspaper in her mouth thought of giving her rotis.

Dear the next level is more coarse food, so the baby has to get adapted to texture for the age. Pureeing won't help much now, just mashing with fork will do good. Again it all depends on how baby copes.