1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

6 months old passing hard stools!! urgent please!!!..

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by vaali, Aug 8, 2012.

1. vaali

vaali Senior IL'ite

Hi ILites! proud mom of a six months old baby boy here.. i exclusively BFed him till 6 completed months & started on solids just a week back. First few days were ok but for past 3 days he is trying so hard to pass stools (you know that pushing niose they make, right?) & passing very hard pellet like stools. Bah! he cried so much last evening while pooping :( Where am i going wrong? please help me!! here goes his menu..

Breakfast- quarter apple cooked in cow's milk & pureed
    Lunch- Mashed Paruppu sadam (rice with lentil)
    Dinner- cooked & pureed banana/ idly with cow's milk or curd
    Bfing on demand other times..

I read this morning that apple sauce, rice cereal, banana (basically all of the food i give him) are constipating food stuffs! bah!! really? if so what else should i feed him?

I started thinning out the puree today but he just doesnt take as much as he used to when given creamy in consistency.. oh & water, he just wouldn't drink.. per day 20ml or less when forced with a dropper!

2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

3. vaali

vaali Senior IL'ite

Hello vjbunny! thanks for the quick response!!

Yes you are right.. i made a mistake there, it was not watery enough which i realized only last evening :(. Im now making sure the food is watery enough.. but thing is, he is eating few spoons less when thin in consistency which gets me worried! he loves fruits & would even eat half of small sized apple.. but this morning he had only quarter of an apple & so is lunch too.. is that gonna be fine with him?

4. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vaali...
    Solid food is new to him so he needs to get adjusted to it babies usually eat about 1/2 teacup or still less... but never force feed as babies eat as much as they can handle...

5. frozenmoments

frozenmoments New IL'ite

Hi..

Good to hear that you had given your baby exclusive BF till last 6 months..

Well as far as my experience goes as a 2 year old baby's mom..i have the following advice to you..

Apple is a good source of fibre for your child..pureed apples are good..as you have just started with solids

Try giving Ragi Kanji/Porridge with Jaggery..( Try Silver Spoon Brand-very Safe)You can very well try Health Mix Porridge (Brands like Mannna)..Please note these should be given in watery consistency initially..Again this is very good fibre content for your baby..

Slowly introduce vegetable soups/pureed Carrots and Spinach/Palak..one by one..

Give him boiled and warm water..after each meal..

Pls take your doctor's advice before you decide on any meal plan..

Don't worry each stage has its own problems and with time and efforts you can overcome these challenges!!

Happy feeding

Regards
    Lakshmi

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
  6. vidhyabharath

vidhyabharath Silver IL'ite

Dear Vaali!

Since your baby is 6 months old and he just started eating solid foods, actually constipation is very much common in this stage, to avoid this, try to give the food quite watery and give him 4 to 5 spoons of water for every one - two hours. (Luke warm water is very much best), usually babies wont hesitate to drink luke warm water

Also if you are giving cow's milk, add some water and boil it, even though cow's milk is light, but still there will be some lactose stuff which can make stomach upset to some babies (not all babies will suffer, some, one in 10 will have this problem).

1. I think you can steam the apple in water itself, because apple itself is quite heavy breakfast for the baby, if you add the milk it will become more heavy to baby, which he will suffer to digest. So, Steaming apple in water itself is good enough for the baby. He will get all the nutrients in that itself. (Or) You can give one mashed Hill banana (MALAI VALAIPALAM IN TAMIL) without adding anything to that. That is very good for baby's morning breakfast.

2. Paruppu sadam (rice with lentil) cooked so softly with the anyone of the following vegetables like, three or four slices of carrot, one beans, five pods of green peas, three or four slices of potato along with the drop of ghee. (Dont add salt, till one year salt and honey are not advisable for the babies). Also you can try Ragi Kanji for the kid, that is you buy the ragi from shop, wash and soak, after soaking, let it dry for the day, slowly the sprouts will come the ragi, then slightly fry the sprouted ragi and grind it in the mill, then you can cook the ragi kanji with the purified jaggery juice and with light cow's milk or the low fat milk in the liquid consistency.

3. For the night dinner, please dont give cow's milk, fruits and curd to the baby. These are all the heavy food for the baby in the night. It will really tough for the baby to digest. since curd is having protein content you should start curd only after 8 months.

4. If you are starting solid food for the baby for the first time means, dont start giving solid food for all the three times at a stretch. You should gradually increase the quantity of the solid food in the proper gap.

I will give you a chart which has been given by my pediatrician for my son and daughter.

Starting solid food for the first time:

First 15 days:

1. Breakfast - Hill Banana or Steamed apple (before 9 am) + Exclusive Breast feeding for the rest day.

Next 15 Days:

1. Breakfast - Hill Banana or Steamed apple (before 9 am)

2. Lunch - Kulaindha Paruppu sadam with vegetables like carrot, peas, beans and potato (rice & lentil should cook nicely, it should be easily mashed with the spoon itself) or Ragi Kanji cooked with purified jaggery juice and low fat milk or lite cow milk in the liquid consistency. (before 1 pm)

3. Exclusive breast feed for the rest of the day.

After that:

1. Breakfast - Hill Banana or steamed apple (BEFORE 9 AM)
    2. Lunch - paruppu sadam or ragi kanji (BEFORE 1 PM)
    3. dinner - one idli or cerelac 1st stage rice, wheat or wheat apple (Dinner should finished before 7 pm for the baby)
    4. Should give the Breast feed in between.

It is very necessary to give 4 to 5 spoons of water for every 1-2 hours for the baby while you starting the solid food. It will help for the digestion of the baby and helps to prevent the constipation.

After Seven months, you can give idli with veggie, pongal (rice and moong dhall) and cerelac as a dinner.

BEFORE STARTING SOLID FOOD FOR THE BABY, IT IS COMPULSORY TO CHECK WITH THE PEDIATRICIAN ABOUT THE DIET CHART FOR THE BABY.

Dont worry, slowly your baby will start loving the solid food

Take care.

All the best.

Cheers
    Vidhyabharath.

1 person likes this.
  7. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

Vaali, it's good that you exclusively BF your baby till 6 months. Since it's just been a week since you have introduced solids, you should take it very slowly.
    - Introduce only one food (rice cereal/vegetable/fruit) at a time. Give the same food for 3-4 days and see how your baby reacts.
    - The food should be nicely pureed and in thin liquid consistency.
    - Foods that are good to start - rice cereal (home made is best), banana, apple, potato, sweet potato, carrot
    - Don't start lentils/dhal until your baby has adjusted to the solid feed
    - Ragi can cause constipation. My daughter had this problem when I introduced it.
    - Check with your ped before you start cow's milk. 6 months is too early according to my opinion. To make kanji, you can use breast milk. After boiling rice cereal in water, add a few drops of BM.
    - Apples can cause constipation. Instead of apple sauce, you can strain the pureed apple and give apple juice.

It's been just a week, so give your baby enough time to get introduced to the new tastes and textures of other foods. Since your baby is crying while he is trying to poop, I suggest you take him to a pediatrician. Usually, they give a stool softener syrup which will help the baby to poop. You can stop giving him solid food for a day and give him just BM. That would also help him to poop.

Take the solid introduction phase slowly. Don't be in a hurry. Babies have a lifetime to eat and enjoy new foods :)

For constipation, foods that have worked for my DD are prunes, raisins, palak, banana, ghee, omam water, pear juice. But since your baby has just started solids, it's better to check with your pediatrician.

1 person likes this.
  8. vaali

vaali Senior IL'ite

Thanks ladies!! thanks a ton!!!

May be i need to cut down on the frequency of solid foods i give him & will take it slowly.. also i will definitely make sure about the little water here & there.. im feeding him water with a dropper only during the meal time, i need to give him other times too i guess.

My parents are asking me to give him water in a feeding bottle & they say he will get used to drinking much better that way.. is it true? i tried once but whole day he just drank 10ml! & rest of the time just bitting on the nipple & making chewing sounds with it :D.. he is only used to DBF(direct BF) most of the times unless im away during emergency or during pedi visit when he is pump fed.

Please allow me to ask another question too! what is the frequency your bubbas do poopy? do you know my cheeky monkey can go upto 9 days max with all the loads inside that tiny intestine on exclusive BF!?!? :D though that was fine then, now that he is on solids he goes once in 2 to 3 days.. Is that fine? pedi said once i start him on solids he will GO everyday & asked me not to worry.. bah :( he doesnt!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
  9. vaali

vaali Senior IL'ite

Anyone there?

10. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame