1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

5yr old - dislikes milk

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by sheeba, May 11, 2005.

1. sheeba

sheeba Junior IL'ite

Hello all,

My 5 yr old son dislikes milk. Though I have tried giving it to him in different forms (like Horlicks, Bournvita, Complan and other choclate drinks), no use. I used to just mix these in hot water and make him drink, since I never wanted to leave him in empty stomach off bed in the morning.

I thought I can try the choclate and other flavour drinks atleast here in the US, but my attempts go for a waste. He vomits completely on forcing it on him.

Anybody gone through this problem? How else can I include milk in his diet?

2. amudha

amudha Senior IL'ite

Hi Sheeba,

May be your son dislikes the flavor of milk. So try something that subsides milk flavor - like milkshakes, rosemilk, badham milk, etc. It cannot be a substitute to plain milk in the morning, but you can give him a much more healthier drink quite often.

Here is a simple recipe for badham milk:
    Soak 10-15 badhams in hot water. Peel the skin. Grind it into a thick paste adding milk. Boil milk for 10mts, add the paste, sugar, cardamom and a pinch of saffron and boil for 5 more mts. Cool it and serve.

Hope he likes it

3. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Do not force...

Sheeba,

I would suggest you do not force your child to drink milk. The more you nag the more he might trouble you.

If he does not like milk or other milk based drinks, try giving him other foods which are equivalent such as curd, yoghurt, custard, kheer, fruit cream, butter, cheese, eggs etc. Children usually like choclate flavored food. There are chocolate flavoured protein supplements available in the market, you may try using any of those, not required to mix in milk.

Since he is 5 years old now he can eat a complete balanced meal like you. Concentrate on other foods for a while and then start giving him milk again ;-) .