1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

4 Year Kid Doesn't Respect His Great Grandfather

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Suja9, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Suja9

Suja9 Silver IL'ite

Hello All,

I want to vent out and want to know your opinions on this issue:

We live in a flat. my neighbor home has 2 boys of age- 3, 1.5 years. Their Mom works late hours and their Dad lives in Singapore.
    So their Great- Grandparents and Grandma take turns to look after the children. The elder one goes to a reputed CBSE School.
    But he totally disrespects his Great- Grandparents and Grandma. Talks in a harsh language in disrespectful words (poda, podi, vadi). Also suddenly starts yelling, kicking, pinching, beating the relatives. When I and my husband old him its not a good way to talk, he tells "I will talk like that". His relatives don't care. They say dont say like that just once, not every time he repeats it. While playing cycle, he pedals fastly and threatens/ tries to dash his younger brother. We realised its totally waste of time for us to change him, as even his relatives are not bothered.

I am totally worried about my daughter playing with him. She is 4 yrs now. I am currently pregnant with my second kid and I really hope for them to be friends. My daughter was asking for a sibling for few months. When she plays with him, she speaks like him impolitely. Also after coming back, starts throwing things ( which she doesnt do before), yelling, pinching. I definitely do NOT want my daughter to be like him.

I am totally afraid seeing this neighbor boy. I think he is abusing/ bullying all his relatives. Why is he doing that? Why aren't they reacting? Or am I over- reacting?

2. sshilpa200

sshilpa200 New IL'ite

You can advise your daughter that kicking , throwing like the boy etc is not "good" behavior which I am sure you have already said. So correcting/disciplining your daughter will work. For example: no going out to play for a day or no tv for the day due to pinching/yelling etc. If the behavior of next-door boy is still the same, then the best is to avoid or not let your daughter play with him. If the relatives of the boy are not correcting then it is a sinking ship and it is really not your job. Yes we have to correct any kid but their parents needs to take ownership of the problem. Again 3-4 year olds are just growing up too, but I agree disrespecting is a "no-no" and one cannot compromise on that. Unfortunately in our society sometimes anything a 3-4 year old does is "cute" including saying "poda podi". And this has to do with the parents not correcting the child and there lies the problem. Focus on taking care of your daughter and bring up with values. With regards to the neighbor boy, one can only take the horse to the lake but you can never make it drink.

sindmani, BhumiBabe and Suja9 like this.
  3. Hansa78

Hansa78 Bronze IL'ite

This is what happens when both the parents are busy in their work and burden the grandparents with their children's responsibility. Even if the grandparents are lending help by taking care at least mother should be responsible enough to discipline her kids. This shows that they are not worried about their child's upbringing.

Children are very quick in absorbing what they see around in their environment as they are like an empty glass and they take in whatever is poured into them. So that neighboring child is defnitely a bad influence for your kids. So "AVOID THEM". Find new friends for them even if it means you need to go to parks or other classes.

You can subtly explain to your child that the behaviour of the next door boy is not acceptable as he is rude to others. If she likes it if someone speaks to her rudely, and same way others also get hurt when somebody speaks with disrespect. Since that boy is not understanding these etiquettes, it is better to find good friends who are kind and caring and she will enjoy more playing with such children.

I am sure your daughter will understand. Make sure you read value stories to her everyday. So in future she knows what is good and bad and will make the right choice of friends in school even in your absence.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2017
    Suja9 likes this.
  4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Because he can as no one is stopping him.

Kids test boundaries all the time. It's the family's responsibility to correct it right away.

Well they should. Not reacting is just gona aggravate it. Maybe since the dad is away, he can't fix. Maybe the mom is busy at work and doesn't have the time for him. Grandparents may not have the energy, strong hand or the power to correct him because their daughter or son might get angry if they are strict with the kid. So they maybe stuck too.

No, you are not.

You can't control someone else's kid. What that kid is doing is not right. And they should get a control of it before he continues to grow so disrespectfully.

But you can control your kid. She will come across many characters like this in her life with or without your knowledge as she grows, so you can't keep her away from characters like this forever.

So it's time for you teach her how to handle these ones.. keep telling her that just because some other kid talks or behaves bad, it's not right for her to follow it too. That it is important for her to know what is right and wrong and not to bother about what others does.

Be stern and take your stand to get your point across. Very soon, no matter what others does, she will just know that it's not right and won't follow.

sindmani and Suja9 like this.
  5. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

you cannot and should not tell someone else's child what to do and how to behave. The only thing you can control is to make sure your daughter is not interacting with him too much , if it bothers you so much.
    I see comments from other posters here about bad parenting. This is so disappointing and highly judgemental. The boy's mother works late hours and is trying to secure his financial future. His dad works abroad, obviously there must be a reason to do that. The kid could have other issues ( on the spectrum ), that cause him to behave the way he does. Let's not try to impose our idea of parenting on others , every parent wants the best for their child .

6. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

WELL SAID. I HAVE THE SAME VIEWS

deepthyanoop, Suja9 and Sandycandy like this.
  7. Suja9

Suja9 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your opinions Shilpa, Hansa, Ashneys, Sandycandy and Sunshine.. :)

Sandycandy likes this.
  8. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

Dear, is the kid's age 3? Come on dear, we cant judge a 3 year old based on his behaviour now. Its not that he is going to like this for the rest of his life. Having dealt with so many kids in our school, I know that

I totally agree with SandyCandy's view above. If it is a concern that your child too will pick up the bad behaviour,restrict her
    interaction with him or make her understand that its not an ideal way to behave. Also, as neighbours you can tell the 3 year old's grandparents that try to give him more attention and time. He also has a younger sibling. So, he may be feeling that he is not getting much attention and care like his sibling. Its only a phase. He is surely going to change as he grows.

sindmani, Sandycandy and Suja9 like this.