1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

4 and half month old baby not drinking formula plz help...

Discussion in 'Infants' started by rams22, Feb 6, 2014.

1. rams22

rams22 Gold IL'ite

Hi friends my baby who is running 5th month now is not drinking her formula properly she is playing and pushing away the bottle with her hands and if i hold her hands she is pushing away the nipple with her tongue but in night feedings while in deep sleep she will drink the whole 120ml of milk in 15 mins but when she is awake she is very fussy and takes hours together to drink a mere 60 ml of formula i tried medium size nipple rather than small one but she is getting choked with the speed of milk flow.....she only feeds on small size nipple...

she was breastfed for 1st one month but my breast milk dried up in 2nd month itself and we started formula for her....

she used to drink her formula well but from past 10 days she is very fussy and staring at the food we eat as if she wants to eat it...can i start cerelac or some other solids for her??

she used to feed punctually for every 3 hours interval and used to finish every bottle.....these days im throwing away almost all the formula milk in day time........ now she is not at all drinking in the day time and if i forcibly try to make her drink she is crying alot she has lost weight and became thin im worried about it...

when did u start feeding cerelac or nestum for ur infant?? some say we can start solids when baby doubles her birth weight now my baby has doubled her weight can i feed her solids?? or it should be fed strictly in 6th month?

2. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rams22,Your DD might have got fed up with the taste of formula. I would not suggest to give cerelac or nestum(always home made food is best,especially for infants < 1year of age IMHO). You can introduce one vegetable/fruit gradually into her diet. Boil/steam the vegetable and mash it well to a puree and try feeding her. You can also introduce rice porridge(kanji). Also ragi porridge,but should be of thin consistency. Donot introduce all the food items at one go.Atleast keep a week of gap between each. For my daughter I started with mashed carrots, then rice porridge, banana,steamed apple and so on.

1 person likes this.
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Is your baby having enough wet nappies? If you think she is not having enough wet nappies, take her to the doctor immediately - she might be dehydrated. Do not offer her water because in babies under 9kg there is a chance of it leading to water poisoning. Talk to the doctor and follow his/ her advice.

If your child has sufficient wet nappies, you can try changing the formula brand.

Perhaps she wants it warmer/ cooler? (Once my DD learnt that she can reject food, I accidentally found out that she would never do so if the food were warm enough.)

Never force the teat into her mouth. If she accepts it, fine. Otherwise, keep it aside and try after 5 min. It is important to just be normal and ensure she doesn't see you bothered by her rejection - she is very young but she is really curious about the various reactions she brings forth in you!

Perhaps she is teething. You might think she is too young; my DD was just 5 months old when her first tooth came out! Try to apply teething gels or give her teethers to chew. It will help alleviate the pressure on her gums.

Talk to your doctor about this and ask for suggestions before starting solids.

If you are advised to start solids, give food prepared at home. Like steamed, (not boiled) mashed carrots, mashed potatoes, mashed bananas.

Once you have mashed the food, add lots of formula to it to make it liquid (I would suggest 1 tsp puree to about 10 tsp formula since your baby is still very little); make sure it is the right temperature and feed it to your baby WITH A SPOON. If your baby rejects it, keep offering it at later points during the day/ next day - it takes up to 9 or 10 times of trying the same food to start getting used to the taste.

It is very important that the baby is not lying down and the food is not offered in a bottle. Also it is not advisable to add salt (or sugar, honey etc.) to any of the baby's foods until she is at least a year old. If you feel the need to sweeten her food, add some mashed banana to the food. That should make it sweet enough...

I hope

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I agree with guesswho. If she is not getting enough wet diapers like she did before, then she is dehydrating and needs to be checked out.

Coming to your other question, I started Gerber rice cereal when my LO had completed 5 months and 3 weeks. Actually I wanted to wait a bit longer but we did have annaprassana (good date and all) and introduced solids.

yes, homemade cereals are always better than the store bought one's. However, I seen millions of kids on gerber and I felt comfortable in introducing gerber to her. So, I started with 1 tbsp of gerber rice cereal in 50 ml formula and offered it to her.
    You have to watch out though, some of the cereals taste awful when mixed in formula. I was using enfamil and she was ok with rice cereal. When I mixed oat cereal, then it tasted really bad.

Remember, you can slowly start veggies/fruits when she is 7 months. But right now she is too young for that.

What is her feeding schedule like? maybe she is just not very hungry? can you wait for 30-40 mins and try feeding her instead of continuing to feed her when she is playing with the nipple? Maybe that will hep. worth giving it a try.