1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

3rd grade kid worried about hair on her legs

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by nisha06, Apr 26, 2010.

1. nisha06

nisha06 New IL'ite

Hi,

My daughter is in the 3rd grade and is going to school in USA. Summer is getting started here and I noticed that she still wants to wear all her jeans (full pants) to school. This week end I showed her all the pretty skirts she has and told her to wear those now it is getting hot outside. First she said no she likes jeans but when I insisted she mentioned that she has hair on her legs and her friends will laugh if they see it. I was totally shocked. She does not have that much hair and the little she has is not even dark. I was not sure how to convince her when she started naming her friends and said they don't have any.

Any suggestions on a solution for this. She is too young to go for waxing/shaving and stuff and I don't want her to do those at this age. Did anyone else come across this problem. Please help me with ideas how I can solve this problem.

Thanks,
    Nisha.

2. aarthi7

aarthi7 Senior IL'ite

hi,
    you can try using leggings and ankle length tights ,,since they cover the legs your DD wont have any problems of exposing the legs.you can use them with any short skirts and they come in variuos colours and designs as well.
    aarthi

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  3. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

Around the same age, my oldest came to me with that request and I told her that she can start shaving in 5th grade. But she was ok with it and when the girls in school asked or said something she mentioned my rule and let them think that it was my "fault" that she had hairy legs. I was ok with it, because it left her off the hook and still allowed her to comply with my rules. Once she hit 5th, I let her shave and there was no turning back.

See if that works....if not I would say to allow her to shave. If it makes her feel more confident, why not? She will eventually have to do it, right? I had my daughter wait b/c I knew that once you start shaving you will have to it religiously. But if she really was adamant about it and upset, I would have caved in. I would rather pick my battles in other categories with a daughter.

Btw, I grew up here and started shaving in 4th grade. The only cons I see with it is that you have to make time to shave. The pros being increase in self confidence and feeling more like a "Girl" :)

good luck, this is only the tip of the iceberg in raising daughters :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  4. nisha06

nisha06 New IL'ite

Thanks Aarthi. She has a lot of leggings but the problem is they are hard to wear in this weather. It gets pretty hot where we live and leggings are not the right kind of clothing.
    Manaswini, Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I just realized that the little girl is growing older.....
    I will follow your suggestions and see if that works.

Thanks again.

5. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

Good Luck. Just remember that this is a very minor thing in growing up. Although we hate to see our babies grow up, they will. Sometimes we just have to sit back and just watch.

Also, make it a point to show her that you both are on the same team. This way, she won't think twice about coming to you in the future with any other problems or questions.