1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

32 year old single woman wishes to adopt child from India

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by dahliav, Apr 12, 2014.

1. dahliav

dahliav New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I will really appreciate any information and support about adopting a child from Kerala. I have heard about AmmaThottil.
    I am a 32 year old single woman living in the U.S, and I am a citizen in U.S.
    Will I be even considered for adoption by the agencies?
    What should be my first step towards this process.

Thanks,
    Dahlia

2. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Dahlia,

We had been looking into this a while ago too, and at that time there were rules that atleast one parent needed to be an Indian citizen. But looks like things might have changed - so I too get a second chance now -

Here is a website I found. Hope it is helpful. If you find any additional information, would you please post it here?

INDIA | Intercountry Adoption

All the Best!!!!

1 person likes this.
  3. dahliav

dahliav New IL'ite

Hi DKI,

Thank you so much for the response. I looked at the site that you linked, it has great information. I was a bit unclear if a single woman in my situation can adopt a child.

Thanks,
    Dahlia

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

OP, try looking for international adoption centers in your area of residence who are affiliated with CARA in India. Being single and not being an Indian citizen is going to be an uphill battle and you will need legal help to proceed. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  5. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Dahlia,

I got this info for you

Parent Qualifications: Single women and couples may adopt from India. Couples should have at least two years of stable marriage. Applicants should be 25 to 53 years of age (flexible if adopting older children). Because India prefers smaller families, there may be no more than three children already in the home. There may be no history of chronic or serious illness.

This is from the website:
    India Adoption

Best of luck!

1 person likes this.
  6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

One of my colleagues (US citizen, Indian PIO) adopted a girl from India. She is also single, in her mid 30s. It took her almost 2 years to get her daughter though.
    Good luck!

7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Madam,
    Instructions for adoption by US or any foreign citizen is stringent in India, though it may not be appear to be so on the face of it.
    It was not so difficult 10 years back.
    Since 2006 they have modified instructions.
    According to the current regulations, a child will be given to a foreigner for adoption only if the child is rejected by adopting parents in India thrice.
    Normally couples longing for children will not reject any child for minor things like looks or complexion. A child will be rejected mostly on health grounds.
    It automatically means that a child coming in the list of adoptees is most probably suffering from some physical disorder of severe nature.
    But rarely, if one is fortunate they may get healthy children also.
    I hear that some agencies with a view of getting monetary gain, prepare fake letters of rejection by Indian parents and give children for adoption to Foreign citizens for huge
    consideration.
    However approach the agency concerned. There is a long list of documents /instructions to be complied with.
    Sometimes you may get twins. That is an easy way because they don't want the twins to get separated and may be willing to give both the children to the same parent.( though they have not been rejected by Indian parents)
    I think you know that the child has to be adopted legally in India, then after reaching overseas , the child has to be readopted according to rules obtained in the foreign land.
    For necessary information you read the instructions by searching websites on CARA, ( Centre for Adoption Resource Agencies) You have lot of information about various agencies also.
    It will take nearly 6 months to one year for the process to get completed.Until such time some arrangement has to be made for somebody to take care of the baby, since the child will be handed over to you in " Trust".

Wish you all the best.It is worth undertaking the troubles to acquire a real asset--THE lovely baby.
    Jayasala 42

2 people like this.
  8. Tomcrusie

Tomcrusie New IL'ite

hey...
    plzz buzz...

Cheers...

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2014