1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

3 yr old holding poop for 3-4 days

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by IlovemyMom, Dec 17, 2014.

1. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

My DD is 3 yrs old. She is trained for peeing in the toilet. but for poop she needs diaper. For the past 1 month she is holding her poop, whenever she has the urge to poop she cries and holds and finally goes on the 3rd or 4th day with so much crying and pain. I took her to Dr who gave Duphalc syrup. BUt still she is managing to hold her poop. i give her fibre rich food and enough water. I feel so bad to see her crying. She still stands and go poop. Kindly advise how to make her go everyday without fear.

2. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

@Ilovemymom does she poop when you give her the diaper or still hold it? Kids take time to be 100% potty trained. If loves pooping in diaper I suggest you put her diaper on for Poop alone. Some kids outgrew it gradually. You can slowly train her to poop in toilet but forcing her will just make things worse for you and the kid..

1 person likes this.
  3. anurinesh

anurinesh Silver IL'ite

hi
    just give her prune juice i gave it to my daughter now a days she is complete potty trained and poop daily in toilet

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Prunes, pears and apple juice will help. Not on the same day though.

5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Does she pass hard stools ? Iron supplements or food high in iron will cause hard stools. This will cause pain and tears when passing stools which will Make them hold . There are some supplements which will soften stools to reduce pain . Ask your dr .

1 person likes this.
  6. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

My son had a similar situation. It started with that he had hard stool and it was painful. I managed to address that with changing the diet (fruits, high fiber, lot of fluids) but the fear remained. And as he did not want to do it the stool became hard again as he was holding against. It took almost a year to completely get rid of the fear.

He completely refused to poop at other places than home so planned our program so that we are never overnight somewhere. I took the potty to the living room :p and he watched tv and sat there.

If she wants to use diaper go for that for the time being. Now the important thing is to get rid of the fear. And of course a healthy diet. Be causious to not give too much of prunes/laxatives as that can cause it comes with pressure and that can also scare. Gradually bring in the potty and have books, tv or something relaxing around it if needed.