1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

3 year old going to school first time - need ideas

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by kads, Aug 3, 2007.

1. kads

kads Senior IL'ite

Re: some questions for all moms ..

HI,
    Thanks for this info.
    I just left my son to school for the first day,he was crying like hell,we have to leave and come ,i am still crying and writing to u....ohh it so tough to leave ur kid crying somewhere..I felt the teacher even didnt bothere to look at him when he was crying,but my hubbuy told may be this is the way they train kids...i really dont know how will i spend my 2hours frm now,till he comes back...
    What was ur experience????

2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Cool down ,Kads.

This happens to every mom.We are so protective of our kids that when we leave them with some one else,we are always concerned about whether they will take care of them well.Relax,he will be fine.

Most teachers ignore kids when they cry because they feel the child will stop crying in a short time.Sometimes,you will see kids crying all the time for the first few days in school.As mothers,it is difficult for us to accept it that the teacher is ignoring our kid,but believe me,this happens to almost every one.Soon your son will start playing with the other kids and he will start liking school.It is only a matter of time.

For the first 2-3 days,I used to drop him at school and keep sitting somewhere in the lobby for the 2 or 3 hrs that he was in school.Once in a while,I used to slyly go and check thru' the window to see whether he is okay.First day,he cried for 2 hrs,then when they took him out to play in the sliding board,he stopped crying and was very thrilled with the whole thing.Second day,again same story,but he cried maybe for the first 30-45 minutes only.Third day,he was fine.Then after that,I would just drop him at school and come back home.
    Even then,that nagging thought used to be there at the back of my head.......'is he crying now,is he ok and so on...'

When you know that all mothers go thru' this phase,it will be easy for you to accept it..I still vividly remember the first day my Dad dropped me in a new school ..I was in UKG then..I was crying like mad..my Dad got me Poppins and sat with me for a long time to console me...it is all a cycle...it was my Dad then,today it is me,tomorrow it will be my son...Life goes on...I think I am getting too philosophical...I will stop here.

3. Pritirach

Pritirach Silver IL'ite

Hi Sunita and Kads

I really enjoyed your discussion.My 2 and 1/2 yr old son started going to school (toddler program in a daycare) for three hrs from monday.Even i was worried .But you know wht more than me it was my husband :bangcomp: .He started instructing me from previous day itself.Everytme he remebered that his darling son will be going to school he felt sad and started nagging me that dont leave him for three hrs for first day.Go and bring him early ,in maye one or one and half hrs.Finally the day came and he was more nervous than me and my son.You wont believe he called me from office every hr to check at wht time am i going to pick him up.Finally i lost my patience and told him pont blank that no way am i going to bring him before three hrs.Afterall i got the much needed freedom.And moreover the teachers told me that if he gets restless they will call me .But u knw wht i was quite sure he wont cry (becoz he is hard rock like me, according to hubby i am:-( ).Actually he is quite playfull and enjoys company even with strangers(cause of concern for me).Even when he was infant in India he would go to milkman and sabjiwala and all and refused to come back to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.So atlast he had his first succesful day at school and u knw wht teacher told me tht he was consoling a kid who was crying:2thumbsup: .

So you see he enjoyed his school but i did not enjoy my free time back home.If not for the son ,his father was there for me to get on my nerves.:evil:
    Priti

4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Priti

I too have a husband who is like yours...he kept on calling me from office the first day of my son's school.Infact,almost everyday,after I drop him and come back,he will call to check whether everything went well.Sometimes,I think these Dads should sit at home and manage home while we work outside because they are so sensitive.:mrgreen:

5. kads

kads Senior IL'ite

Hi sunitha,
    Ur mail always help me alot.Is ur son going to montessori or day care,i mean for full day or half day.
    My son was crying for a long time ,as told by the teacher,but after reading ur mail,infact should say,after reding ur sons experience of his first 3days of school,i am feeling may be this will happen in my sons case also....As u wrote u were in school for 3 days for 2-3hours,that is something i too felt like doing but as still i am not driving car,as recently shifted to US n were not sure will be staying here in phoenix or shift to any other place,so all in that confusion i didnt appear for test and now my husband will have to drop him and pick him for sometime till i learn asap.otherwise i would have loved to sit back in school and watch him.

By the way how it is to drive car in US .I am a bit scared too.everthing is new to me here...I AM AGAIN ASKING UR EXPERIENCE while u first started driving car.....

Thanks in advance:mrgreen::mrgreen:

6. kads

kads Senior IL'ite

HI priti,
    U must have enjoyed reading my mails more,as i was crying in every mail.. hehe
    Wish i had a strong heart like u,i feel i am too sensitive in everything.
    As now my husband will be going to drop and pick him frm school,so theres no question of my husband being sensitive:)
    Now my only goal is to learn car asap,and wait for my husband to call frm office if we r fine and all that..:)
    Gd always keep ur heart strong n not like me (always crying:cry:)hehe
    take care
    bye

7. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Kads

First,my son went to Montessori for half day-8.30 am to 12.30 pm.That was till June end. Then we moved to Columbus from CA.Now from 20th August, he will be going to a private school from 8.45 am to 3.15 pm.

Well,car driving depends on person-to-person.I was not used to driving any vehicle so it was scary for me.But in CA,my son's school was just 5 minutes drive by car,so it was easy.

Now,here the roads are more narrow and I will have to drive 15 minutes each way.But I think I can manage.

8. kads

kads Senior IL'ite

HI sunitha,
    Same thing is with me ,i am not into driving any kind of vehicle n this is what i wanted to know ,whether u use to drive in india also or driving in US was ur 1st time ..in that case i am sailing in the same boat.may be u use to drive for 5min daily but still u drove the car ...this will help me too take my first step..as ur case and mine is same.
    YES VERY SCARED TO DRIVE ..

9. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Kads

Yes,I did learn driving a car in India,got the license too and then drove around maybe for about 3-4 days but the number of hours I would have driven will be only around 3-4 hrs,that's all.Then I conceived and was not allowed to drive.So,I had to start from scratch here after a 3 yr gap .

For me,it is mostly road fear but I've noticed that once we make up our mind to drive and then get into the car and concentrate and drive,it is quite easy to do.Here it is even easier with the automatic gear system,so all I have to say is just go for it.:yes: