1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

3 year old doesn't cry in pain

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by prettywomen123, Nov 9, 2012.

1. prettywomen123

prettywomen123 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

My son is now 3 yrs and I happen to see this pattern. He usually never cries for anything. A few weeks back, when my mum was cooking, he put his hand near the dosa tava and his skin at the back of his right thumb had peeled. He carried on normal as usual. It was only when we suspected and checked we saw the skin had peeled. He did not cry and that surprised me. When he was born in 8 months, a similar incident happened where he had accidentally place his hand near a heater and there was a scar and we dint know about it for days as he continued as normal

Yesterday , I visited his nursery and one of the staff told me that he was trying to put his hand between the doors which is quite painful but he doesn't react and carries on playing as normal. The staff tried doing the same and found it painful. They told me it is hard for them as he doesnt tell if he is hurt and doesnot show the reaction. I spoke to the GP when he was 8 months and they said nothing wrong.

Has any experienced mum seen this pattern on their kids? I tried being angry at him and slowly hit him on his leg to see if he cries. He cried but in a minute he went on playing. Does this mean any abnormality?

Pls advise.

Thanks
    Prettywomen

2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pretty woman
    Thats really strange... Why dont you consult ped again on this...

3. itsmebhagi

itsmebhagi IL Hall of Fame

Yes this is strange... Please consult doctor and have a check on you kid thoroughly!
    Because pain is a pain for everyone...and kids will cry even if it doesn't pain but just due to the fear of pain itself... since he kept his hand n skin peeled, but still he did not cry is something unusual! Pls check with a doctor..

4. SANARUN

SANARUN Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I remember reading about a similar case some 2 years back where that girl used to poke her eyes unintentionally and doesnt cry because she never experiences pain...so her parents had to put her on swimming goggles just to prevent her from doing that...i vaguely remember that and it happens because of some problem with the sensory nerves (those which sends signal to the brain about the pain and as reflex action we immediately respond to avoid further damage). It is better you consult the paed at the earliest. Not to scare you...but be on the guard.

All the best.

sangi

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

You need to address this ASAP: it is a real problem for children who don't experience pain or have high pain thresholds. My friend's brother had such a high pain threshold that he never knew if he was sick until he was in serious condition. In high school he got a broken arm and played through the game and then they found out they had to take him to the hospital.

6. prettywomen123

prettywomen123 Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. It is scaring. The only problem he had so far was a seizure. When the GP did the brain nerve test, she said everything was fine.

I will take him again and check. It became more of a concern after it was reported at the nursery. As u all say, it will turn out serious if he was quite after a major injury.

Thanks again.

Regards
    PW