1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

2nd hole in 6 month old butt- tailbone area

Discussion in 'Infants' started by krozwindz, Mar 18, 2010.

1. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

I hadnt thought of asking this before as i thought all babies have this. Silly me :bonk. Well my baby has hole where the imaginary tail should have been ( It super tiny but an open hole). Above her butt hole. I thought may be all babies have this and it gets sealed automatically later. But she is now 6 months old and its still the same. Anyone knows what the name is for this thing and what i should be doing about it????????? I havent yet asked her paed but i plan on asking him next time we visit.. but god willing it will only be during my baby next vaccine shot.. so theres time for it.

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

IDK, but I wont wait till the next vaccine shot. That does not sound very "in the normal range" to me.

3. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Is it a hole or is it like a dimple? I think it's called 'sacral dimple'. Riya had a dimple at the base of her spinal cord and her pedi scared the life out of me saying she has a spinal cord malfunction and asked us to get a scan done. The dimple turned out to be nothing and we found out it's common in most babies. It disappeared on its own.

Did your pediatrician never notice that during regular check ups? Maybe you should ask him/her what it is.

Raj

4. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

Raj - by dimple if u mean like the ones that appear on the cheek, then its like a hole .. just like the anus one but a little smaller... and by dissappear what do u mean.. like did it go away on its own in what time?

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Spina Bifida? without the fluid filled bag? Spina Bifida
    I know alpha foetal protein test is not done routinely here as a part of pre-natal tests. Good luck.

6. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

i found this on the internet...
    Congenital (born with) Pilonidal - it is not at all uncommon for babies to be born with a Sacral Dimple and it is important to note that this is not the same as a Pilonidal abscess as it is discussed on this site even though your pediatrician might refer to it (wrongly) as a Pilonidal Dimple. A condition known as Spina Bifida Occulta (spine failing to close fully during gestation) can leave a hole over the tailbone that resembles a Pilonidal sinus opening and there is often hair at the site of the defect, this occasionally develops into Pilonidal Disease later in life. Other problems during fetal development can leave a "hollow" area at the base of the spine, which can lead to Pilonidal Disease later in life.
    Any thoughts

7. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Well, it was a divet, not a hole or anything. By disappeared, I meant that the divet started forming to 'normal' by the time she was 3 or 4 months old. We all have slight divets at the base of our tailbone.

If it's a hole like the anus then you may want to see a doctor. I am just surprised that the pedi didn't catch it.

Raj

8. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Krozwindz,

My best suggestion would be "not to research on the internet" and go to the doctor immediately. And don't wait until the next appt. Go ASAP.
    Hope everything is o.k