1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

2 year old obsessed with rhymes and virtual world

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by crap, Aug 14, 2015.

1. crap

crap New IL'ite

Dear friends with an ashamed heavy heart i pen these words,
    my almost 25 mon old daughter was into too much tv & ipad apps first 2 years.too much in the sense i used to put them whie cookin while taking bath restroom, talking to suffering relatives,friends etc.i never thought i should fuly interact with her & stop thinking of parents every1.i always had them in my mind 1st as im far away.
    she says no but not yes or ama,apa.
    she says all words appa amma colors shapes rhymes songs.but does not call me amma or appa for anything. she was breastfed till now. maybe thats a reason?. even she does not ask me for food or water.i wil know by her cry and her gesture & give. now im trying to stop totally her videos or tv though she turns violent.
    can i wait for her by interacting more frm now on or i need to go 2 doctor?
    she seems so sweet in kissing me playing hide& seek& laughing singing
    but not interacting or nodding yes if i ask anything.
    i feel i was the worst mom ever on planet.please help

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

It is a good thing that you are aware and are reducing the use of electronics in your little one's activities and days.

You should look up toddler groups in your locality and take her there. Even taking her out to park, pool, mom and me swim classes, or gymboree (i Think) like places will help you come up with a routine. Look up the library too and see if you can take her to story reading time. Of course it will take immense amount of time and patience from your end but you will have to learn to keep her engaged - either with games or reading or other activities. If it is an option you should also consider sending her to day care at least part time, may be a couple of times a week to start with. And yes please do talk with your pediatrician about any concerns you have and seek her advice.

Best wishes, keep us posted and I do hope other ILs will pitch in with more ideas.

2 people like this.
  3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Recognising the problem is the first step and then you can think how to solve it. It is good that you know the problem now...... I have seen some young parents saying my kid doesn't eat without IPad!

As parent sometimes we may do some mistakes in parenting. We can always correct them. My suggestion is take your kid out of the house often......park or play places, library story telling sessions. When he starts interacting with other kids he would start enjoying them and wean out from Screen viewing. He would find fun in those activities.
    Spend a lot of time with him.
    Syamala

4. crap

crap New IL'ite

Thank you so much srama and shyamala
    Your words mean so much I kept fiddling my mobile to check if anyone is there scolding me and I was ready to accept since I missed starting my career ever in life due to marriage my mind is always on how to kick start my career or earn do other things( eventually did not being depressed and confused)
    Atleast I could hav spent my full time with her all these two years
    What other parents really do when u want to hav private time bathing cooking browsing etc
    I'm really curious to kno if parents keep talking a lot all the time except taking out?

5. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Don't obsess over the past. No one is perfect.

2 years is the right age for day care. start her with alternate days, half a day. Your troubles will vanish as she discovers a new world out there filled with activities to do and other kids to play with.

slowly you can send her 5 days for half a day and so on. good luck

1 person likes this.
  6. Lotus98

Lotus98 Junior IL'ite

Hi OP, as you say initially it might feel different to talk to a baby as you would talk to an adult but talking to the child really helps. I used to talk to my baby all the time like explaining whatever I do or read stories or read lot of picture books. Engage the kid in building blocks or any other safe toy activity until you can take care of your private needs quickly. It's never too late to wean on electronic devices. You can sing rhymes and make it more fun for your child. Don't underestimate yourself as a parent. As others suggested here start with couple of hours day care and you will see change in few months.

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@crap,

I think it is best for you to come up with a good schedule for you and your kid. If you can afford day care, do consider half a day at least 2-3 days a week. If not, come up with a routine. No you don't have to keep talking with her all the time. She needs some time to play by herself too. I have said this many times else where but waking up an hour or two earlier than your kid helps - I am not suggesting that you are not doing. But use those two hours effectively to cook, clean and bathing. Rest all should be okay. If you live in a warmer place then it should be a little more easier like ...after she wakes up give breakfast, go for a walk, come back, play some time, go to a library, read a book and get her to nap - then you can browse net, unless you are looking for jobs. Evenings again take her out and read during bed time. Keep all electronics away from where she can see and from her reach.

Looks like she needs time with other kids, some reading and going out. You should see improvement and like I said earlier, don't hesitate to talk with your pediatrician if you have any doubts or questions at all. They will be able to guide you better.

8. Shree2308

Shree2308 New IL'ite

Hi,
    I feel very sorry for you. But you can always work towards changing your mistake.

My suggestion regarding your private work is that you need to start your day earlier than your baby. So that you can finish your daily household chores etc and be ready to play with her. And when she is awake please include her in all that you do. For example if your going to put your clothes for washing you can talk to her about the colour of the dresses and just tell her that mama is going to put these dresses for washing. The more you use mama and doing that activity she will be able to corelate the word and the character. While weaning her you can tell her what food she is eating, names of vegetables and so on.
    As everyone said reading books will help you , sing some rhymes and lullabies to her may be the ones which she was watching. This is how I spend my time with my 3 years old daughter.

9. pumpkin01

pumpkin01 Platinum IL'ite

Want to add what helped me, my son was also not asking anything or not calling dada mom ......while he's active and around me I was used to say what do you want ?? I want water... what do you want I want bread... etc just keep on adding the basic thing which she needs in day to day basis ..... you have to keep talking to her .... Also bring some books with picture and show her diff objects.... that also helped us.

these days we supply or do things for babies before even they ask .... sometimes this doesn't prompt them to use their brain to ask and also less people around to hear words.... talk to her pointing to your hubby and ask her who is he .... hey it's appa or tell her can you call appa.....or when your hubby comes back from office tell her hey see appa is back from office .....

When I was going for bath etc I used to engage him with TV/ipad as otherwise he used to start looking for me and start crying. I know I was also equally worried as you but with time he grew out of it (many suggested not to worry as it seems it's just the phase) .... so don't worry as you have already started reducing tv time ....

10. crap

crap New IL'ite

thank you all so much it really helped.
    now i started playing with her and engaging more and only when she sleeps i use whatsapp or calls or think about my career or cleaning.
    my house is always a mess and i waste a lot in fridge.
    i really wonder how people manage to clean whole house and not waste food in frdge also focus on career.
    i cried alll night long two days back thiking how i was always think of earning and do something in my life to help my parents.
    i havent spent one penny for them so i did not take care to give nutritious food to baby nor did i play iwth her.
    all that she learnt in rhymes everything was from the tv.
    i feel like i did great sin and wasting food also im sure to suffer in future.