1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

2 month old baby having constipation

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vnkarthee, Apr 7, 2016.

1. vnkarthee

vnkarthee New IL'ite

Hi all,

My 2 month old baby is having problem in passing stools. He is having this problem from 4 weeks old.
    Usually, he pass stools once in 5 days or 3 days and my pead told it is okay to pass once in 5 days. But still his motion frequency is not regularize. Nowadays the frequency of motion is 5 to 8 days and to pass the stools we are inducing it by applying castor oil in his anus using buds or betle leaf. He is having this problem when i started using formula milk and then i stopped it. Now, he is exclusively having mother's milk but still suffering with the motion problem. Please help if i need to change my diet to get my baby pass stools easily. Any suggestion to resolve this is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Karthee

2. teejay

teejay Gold IL'ite

Is your baby showing any sigh of discomfort? are you sure he is constipated? Babies who are exclusively breastfed can go as long as 10 days with out pooping.Its considered normal ,unless the baby shows signs of discomfort.My kid used to poo once in 3-4 days. This started when he was 6 weeks old and continued till he was past 4 months. When I asked my Pead, he asked me to mix half teaspoon of sugar in 1 ounce water and give him 2 teaspoons of the solution before every feed until he pooed. However, i did not like the idea of giving sugar to the baby at such a young age and never tried it. My DS continued to have erratic bowel movements until I started feeding him fruit/veg purees (started when he was 4.5 months).Now he has regular bowel movements. Hope this helps.

3. SF03

SF03 New IL'ite

3-4 days is not frequent enough (because of intestinal toxins absorbed). You can give small doses of pear or prune juice for babies. And put a baby glycerin suppository if he hasn't done a dirty for a few days.

4. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

I was going to suggest prune juice, it works like charm. Give your son lots of water, it will help clear his stomach, if he does not drink water, try diluted prune juice. If you are in US, you can get it easily anywhere, even grape juice should help.

teejay likes this.
  5. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

A little sugar in baby's diet will not do any harm. If you are afraid he may get thrush, put some turmeric in his mouth after giving bath. Apply it on the tongue and on the gums. Turmeric keeps the mouth clean. He will not have any dental problems or oral problems, in fact, because it prevents thrush, it will also increase his appetite.

vnkarthee and teejay like this.
  6. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

You cant give prune juice until the baby is 4 months and no sugar till 1 year. My baby is 6 months now and he has the same problem. My doctor suggested giving him water, massage tummy and rectal area, exercise his legs in cycling motion. And if he still doesn't poop for 4 days then simulate with thermometer dipped in vaseline in the rectum.

teejay and vnkarthee like this.
  7. vnkarthee

vnkarthee New IL'ite

Thank you all. Today is 12th day since he passed his stools and this makes me worried alot..

8. vnkarthee

vnkarthee New IL'ite

have given him, a teaspon of dry grapes water, sugar water, Luke warm water and gripe water.

9. vnkarthee

vnkarthee New IL'ite

Then tummy massage and exercising his legs in cycling motion. Then have tried to simulate with castor oil with betle leaf. But nothing worked.

10. vnkarthee

vnkarthee New IL'ite

All are telling to give formula milk as his stomach is empty.