2.5 Lakh posts in IL & Member Status Changes - Comments & Feedback!

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback!' started by Induslady, Mar 19, 2008.

1. jezz_nish

jezz_nish Senior IL'ite

Re: 2.5 Lakh posts in IL & Member Status Changes - Comments & Feedback!

first of all would like to congratulAte all the IL memberS on compleing 2.5 lakh posts and also have a suggestion to make.

i think its not fair that the private message option is not available 2 the new members,as it makes the actual purpose of the site that is making friends for good not practical any more as we cant share are number and email id any more privately.would like the one's concerned with this to rethink the matter.

2. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Jezz_nish,

Thank you for sharing your concern here about not being able to send private messages as a new member.

In a perfect world where malice doesn't exist, we probably should allow everyone to private message anyone and to share email ids and other contact details. In an imperfect world, we have to have a little restrictions like this to ensure the safety of our community. We don't want our members being spammed by providing contact details in the forum or by opening up private messages to anyone who registers.

So, we decided that anyone joining the community let them make themselves first familiar to the community participating in discussions in the forum. That will help to make friends even before starting to interact in private.

Still not convinced? Ask yourself this question - If you shared your email id, do you like strangers to send you emails? Also, would you like to receive private messages from strangers?

On this note, 50 messages is not a big hurdle to cross. If you browse around the site, you are sure to find atleast 5 interesting threads to respond to in a day. Over 2 weeks, you have your priviledge!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  3. Marisa

Marisa New IL'ite

I have (barely) 50 posts, but I'm still unable to see attachments again. Is this something that will take a little time and I should just wait?

4. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: 2.5 Lakh posts in IL & Member Status Changes!

Hi Malathy,

I can also expect some gift from IL?:hiyaAfter 10 days gap I signed in IL today. I checked my mail box and it is increased by 100 posts. But I am a Platinum member, it should be 200 know? can you explain why it is like that?
    Any how Thanks for increasing the size.

5. gracie

gracie New IL'ite

This is the first email information which i have got after joining. very impressive and fruitful - for till date i couldnot go to the grind of looking up the rules or regulation. this in hand way of providing information is very useful. thanks a million:cheers:thankyou2:

6. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Hi Moderators

Your new rule is welcomed by me 50-50 only.

I am a new iLite yet, with 25 posts or so. But you see, I dont believe in sending messages that read like "wav that was wonderful", "yes....... you are right", " Ya, ........ that was nice", etc., which I see coming and filling the mails on a daily basis without knowing "congratulating whom". So I limited my posts unless I have a reasonable message, though I am an avid reader of all messages.

Secondly, for some of the thread / messages that I post, I hardly saw any one responded, whereas I have read messages for threads posted by certain iLites, the response messages keep pouring in, with kind of praise worthy words. I WONDER WHY?

Thirdly, I am also surprised, if one has 50 messages for her credit, is it okay that her id is spammed or will not be spammed? How come it will be spammed if it is less than 50?

Finally, myself and Mrs. Usha Krishnan who is also resident of Dubai, exchanged few PMs, immediately after I joined. We have not met each other. But during two occasions I saw her, without knowing it was she. But in the back of my mind, I guessed 'could that person be this Mrs. LK?' Then immediately next day, I saw the photographs profile, ghash, my guess was not wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!! bonkIt was the same person. Then I called her and confirmed that she was there on that day where I saw her.

THIS COULD HAPPEN ONLY WITH THE ACCESS TO PHOTOGRAPHS, I BELIEVE.

Anyway, thanks for the wonderful site, excellent members, great food recipe posted by our beloved CV. I only wish that you don't status change for viewing the recipes of CV, as how you closed the photographs of the recipes.

So request you to kindly reconsider your decisionDrowning.

Warm Regards
    Shanti

7. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

We are 150% with you on this. Don't post unless you have a reasonable message. We strongly discourage the practice of typing in one-liners just to get the post count up. [For those OLQs (one-line queens) that you mention in your thread...we are exploring a system where by a post has to be a certain length for it to be included in post count.]

We also wonder why! Maybe the OP (original poster) has been here long enough to build a group of fans? Maybe they have made valuable contributions that compelled people to respond? Maybe they actively encouraged other members in their threads that the love is being reciprocated? We don't know the exact reason, but if you see someone getting raving responses just send them a PM after reaching 50 posts (or start a thread in the our community sub-forum) and ask the secret of how they pull in so many responses! In the meantime, don't loose heart. Participate more in the forums and slowly everything will fall in place.

In everything we do, we are friendly, warm and welcoming. Here is an example..The most popular thread of last week is Karuppu Balu and Paruppu Thuvaiyal started by Mithila Kannan. She joined our site just 10 days ago! Quality content is a magnet. Everything else is just details.

Oh..you got this the other way around. When new members have private message access we found that male members were misusing it. They join the community just to send "friendship" soliciting private messages to other members. Now, if we tell that they need to make 50 posts before they can get private message access, all these men run away. That is precisely the intent of this system. Its is to restrict spam senders. That way, spam receivers will naturally be protected.

You are probably true and the new member status system denies privileges to some genuine people. But, in an imperfect world we have to evaluate whether benefits outweigh costs. In this case, the benefits of keeping ogling men away outweighs the cost of temporarily restricting access to photos/pm to new members. And remember, we are all talking just 50 posts. You make genuine, useful and friendly posts 5/day and you have your access within 10 days. Its actually not a big hurdle to cross, me thinks.

There is no plans to do so Shanti.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  8. loveshack

loveshack New IL'ite

I totally support this.I've never seen such an idea to keep away spammers...anyone can post 50 messages and access PMs!
    Why is it so hard on an Indian forum?There are hardly any replies for some threads on this forum!
    Are you looking to keep people away from this site or get more people to join? Post 50 messages and then PM ! What a joke! Big Laugh

9. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Hello Loveshack,

How are you? Happy new year to you & your family.

I agree with your concern regarding the PMs. Loveshack, we have had many complaints from our esteemed members regarding some people who wanted to become "Friendly".

We are not against anyone joining this Vibrant website. We welcome all with open arms. Bus as a Russian Minister told my father in one of the Trade seminars : You open the window & along with fresh air you get flies & mozzies too.

Yes we are aware of the One line people. 50 posts is not difficult to achieve. Loveshack, I have been frustrated by lack of interest shown in my threads. But I refuse to give up.

No I do not agree that anyone can post 50 msgs. We keep a close eye on the content of the posts.Anything that sound a bit Suss is immediately dealt with.

Loveshack, you are a witness to the ANZAC forum. I have not given up. I put in as much as poss to make it more vibrant.

You may also want to visit your home city in India if you feel un comfy in a particular forum. Or maybe (just an example) you may be interested in Arts & crafts or Music or even you may want to know the significance of some rituals in a particular festival/city.....

You started a thread called Any Indians In Melb.Have you gone back and visited it? It is now a popular forum in the Anzac section of IL.

A small seed sown by you is on it's way to become a mighty Banyan tree....

Loveshack you are a lady with a lot of talent. Start writing & see the responce.

Sorry for the long reply. Just did not want a good friend of mine down & out....

Love,

Corallux

10. kalakshetra

kalakshetra Senior IL'ite

Dear Moderators,

First I would like to congratulate all members for the 2.5 lakh posts achievement IL. I joined Indus Ladies on Jan 9th 2008 and by the middle of March I had made 95 posts and I was given the status Junior Ilite. But all of a sudden after March 24th I suddenly found that I was back to square one and became New Ilite once again. At present I have only 11 posts to my credit. Now I have realised that all these days I was posting only in the games thread. And now due to these status changes made recently I am more determined to achieve my Junior Ilite status once again and I am trying to participate more in other threads also thanks to the recent changes. I heartily welcome the changes and the restrictions made in sending PMs. :welcome