1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

18 month old son refuses milk/anything else in sippy cups

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by zales, Apr 1, 2014.

1. zales

zales Silver IL'ite

My son who just turned 18 months has me really worried as he does not drink milk at all. When he was an infant, he never took a bottle. It was fine because I planned on breastfeeding him until much later anyway. And now 18 months later, he is still the same! He is still breastfed, although I doubt if I can be assured that he's getting a lot of milk. My supply is diminishing and i plan to wean him off soon. But he just refuses to take a sippy cup. The only thing he drinks out of a sippy cup is water. If i give him anything else, he just takes a sip and tosses it away. I have tried all tricks that i've read about or heard from someone. I have tried at least 5 different kinds of sippy cups (including straw cups), but nothing has ever orked. he used to eat yogurt and cheese, but that has changed too and i am really worried. He has always been a very small baby and a very poor eater too. I sit down to feed him for hours every meal to just get a few bites in and he's done. What can i do to make sure he's getting enough nutrition? I already give him multivitamins, but i am not sure if there is any calcium supplement out there that is suitable for his age.has anyone else dealt with a similar problem? Please help me out!
    (just wanted to add that he is very bright, active and is developing very well otherwise? I have also tried cups with hard spout and feeding from spoon and feeding from an open cup. Nothing...just nothing works))

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Zales, have you taken him to a store and get him to pick up his own sippy? It worked for my DD. Of course, she didnt want to drink from it from day 1 but I filled it with required liquid (water or milk) and left it handy for her to pick it up. She used to play with it initially but slowly got the hang of drinking from it.

By the way, there are training sippy's available out there. Here NUK sells them; its almost like drinking from a bottle/breast but its a sippy which is used to transition. See if you can get your hands on it.

Generally speaking, they will get the hang of it once you start leaving sippy's around the house. Also, have you tried open cups at all? Some kids transition from breast directly to open cups.

FYI, mine is 26 months old and she still hates to drink milk from a sippy. I am just being patient and giving her other calcium rich foods like yogurt, cheese and at times homemade ice creams. I also include milk in her diet when I make oatmeal or porridge or give cereal.

1 person likes this.
  3. zales

zales Silver IL'ite

No Rakhi, I have never tried letting him oick his own SC, but I am willing to give it a try. How did you do it? i am asking because there is such a wide array of sippy cups on display in stores, do you just pick a few that are meant for her age group and let her choose? I once bought a seemingly nice cup (munchkin), Gave him some water the first time to get him started. He sucked on it really hard several times and then started chewing on it and threw it away. I saw that the water level had not changed at all even after him sucking on it for so long. I just tried suctioning some water out if it and it did not work at all! There was just a small, thin jet of water after sucking really hard. However, the label mentioned it was For kids 18 m+. Can you tell me the model of NUK you are talking about? Yes, i have tried open cups (if there are any special open cups for toddlers that you know of, pl let me know. I have only tried the ones that us grownups use to drink water) but he takes a couple micro sips and turns his face away. Sometimes he seems like he is showing interest, but takes reaaaaaalllllllllly long to finish just a few sips and then loses interest/gets bored and pulls away. I need to try homemade ice creams, never tried before.. Does it need any special equipment?(like ice cream maker) or am i just making a big deal out of a small thing? I tend to do that :)

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I had similar issues with my breastfed DD when I wanted to introduce milk to her. She wouldn't take any milk in a cup. Then a friend suggested sweetening the milk because bm is naturally sweet and sweeter than cows milk. I began adding nesquick strawberry powder to her milk. She loved the taste so started drinking( hard spouted sippy). I slowly reduced the quantity of the powder over the course of a month or so without her realising. I then completely stopped adding nesquick and she was fine with whole milk. I also moved her to an open cup with a regular straw soon afterwards since I didn't want the sippy dependency.
    I did this again with DS. He still gets 1/4tsp nesquick with milk on days I want him to drink up sooner. I'm yet to move to the open cup for him but he took the sippy fine.

Hth,
    L

2 people like this.
  5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Zales, the model of the trainer cup is, NUK’s Fun Grips Soft Spout Trainer cup (Please google for the image, I cannot post the link as its against the forum rules). If you get NUK in any store close by, they will be selling his too.
    Just like you, I had picked up at least 10 sippy’s which I thought were good and none of them really worked. Then, I let her pick. She was sitting in the Walmart cart. I brought to her about 8 cups of various shapes and colors. She picked one out of it. I know what you mean about water not coming out easily. Some models are unfortunately like that. So far I have 3 sippy’s which we are using. One is from Playtex which she picked and the other two were the one’s I did a long time ago and she got the hang of it later.

I am talking about the regular open cups which we adults use.

I haven't really bought the ice cream maker Zales, though i know it makes the process of ice creams easier. Its just bulky sitting on top of my kitchen counter vs the number of times I really make an ice cream.

Here is the recipe which I can vouch on. Its not my own (but of course); its Ina Gartens: Pretty much copy/paste as this is exactly how I make my ice creams. BTW, if you dont have vanilla bean, dont have to buy one. You can easily substitute that with a tsp of pure Vanilla essence.

Easy Vanilla Ice Cream
    Makes 1 quart

Ingredients:
    2 cups heavy cream
    1 cup whole milk
    2/3 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 vanilla bean, scraped

Directions:
    Combine cream, milk, sugar and vanilla in a saucepan and heat until the sugar is completely dissolved.
    Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and stir in to the cream mixture just before removing from the heat.
    Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator or in an ice bath until completely cool.

Now here is the tricky part if you are making ice cream with out the maker. If you have the maker, all you do is pour the mixture into the maker and wait for it to be done.

What I do is, take a large stainless steel bowl and pour the chilled mixture into this and freeze this for 30-40 mins (assuming its a standard freezer). Then, remove it and stir vigorously until you break any formed crystals. The idea is to break the crystals and make the mixture's texture smoother. You can also use a hand held blender into this bowl if you have one but spatula will do the job just fine.

Return the pot into the freezer. Remove it after 30-40 mins and stir again breaking the crystals. Repeat the process at least 6 times for all the crystals to smoothen out and get a creamy delicious homemade ice cream. The last time you break away the crystals (6th time), you need to let it freeze for at least 3-4 hours for the ice cream to form and for you to dig in.

Its a lot of effort without a machine but worth trying it out for the kiddos. Tastes so much better than the store bought one's.

BTW, last weekend I bought kulfi molds. Planning on trying it over the Easter long weekend.

Hope this helps.

2 people like this.
  6. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@zales Try the hard spouted sippy cups. They worked really well for my DD who was not bottle trained/was chewing on soft spouts and lost interest in them.

1 person likes this.
  7. zales

zales Silver IL'ite

Ladies, so sorry that I took so long to reply! My boss decided that I'm slacking off and gave me tons of work :) i have been reading all of your replies and implemented your tips too! Heres whats been happening:
    i started offering him milk as soon as he woke up in a straw cup. (an insulated adult cup with a straw) i sat him up in his high chair to make him feel like its mealtime. He drank a couple sips and threw the cupaway as expected. But i left the cup hanging around wherever he was and after lunch he started to show interest in it. He took it, played for a little bit, drank a couple sips and stared to spill it andmake a mess. Never drank out of it again :( i measured how much was left and put it away. It really was not much!
    repeated the same thing next day, same story. And then he fell sick and started to refuse everything..
    laks, i gave him some strawberry milk and he threw it up :(
    he got a few vaccines and is under a lot of pain right now, so i have put trying this off until after he feels better..
    good news is, he has pretty much moved on to open cup for drinking water and we are working on eliminating sippy cups entirely! So my plan for now is to wait until he feels better and start offering him milk from an open cup and see how it turns out!
    ps: he has also turned into an extremely terrible eater over the past few days!

Rakhii, OMG, i made the ice cream and i'm so gald i did! I had to really exercise plenty of self control to not gobble it all up!! Soooooooo delicious! Your recipe went into my cookbook and there is no doubt that i will be making this for not just the baby, but for us adults too all through this summer! Thank you sooooooooooo much for this wonderful recipe. I have the same thoughts about ice cream maker which is why i have resisted buying one until now ;)