1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

15 mths old grinding his teeth

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by brindhaaa, Mar 2, 2010.

1. brindhaaa

brindhaaa Bronze IL'ite

Dear friends

I could see my son very often grinding his teeth .He has 4 upper and 3 lower one .Is that a symptom of something. First we thought its a temper tantrum.But he does that even when he is in good mood . Couldnt figure out why . Pls share .

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I actually found that my son did that with his new teeth. My theory is that he is blunting the sharp teeth that've cut through. He did that with every new tooth. He is a lower jaw teether - when his teeth come out in pairs he gets them first in the upper jaw and then in the lower. When the lower ones come through he grinds till for a while. Not sure if that is the scientific reason, but yes, I found that with my son too.

3. brindhaaa

brindhaaa Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Tikka

You are always there whenever i come with problems.

Yes ,he has got a new lower teeth, and now i know why he is grinding :))

Thank you so much.

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Teeth grinding is apparently common in young children - I believe it is to adjust their acclusion. As the bone keeps growing, the teeth grows and it is to set the teeth and jaw to position - so says my dentist and also my sister who is also a dentist. I believe this prevents jaw pain and also helps them to chew food better. It is considered normal and because of this milk teeth can also become completly flat. My son used to grind a lot too. The habit stops by itself once the permanent teeth sets in!!

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

That makes more sense than my theory :) Does that mean a child who had mal-occluded milk teeth may have straighter set of permanent teeth...I notice that DS grinds more on the left side (where he still has one more tooth to erupt) and where his eye tooth is a bit crooked?
    Brindhaa, that is why I like this forum so much. Sometimes I have so many questions and it is reassuring when mommies here share their experiences.