1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

15 months child is totally on milk. not taking anything else....

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by deepallb, Mar 3, 2010.

1. deepallb

deepallb New IL'ite

Dear All

my 15 months old daughter is totally on milk. she just refuses to take anything in solid form or in liquid except milk.

earlier my problem was for feeding her solid, she was taking something in liquid form but from the last 30-40 days, she is not having anything except milk. i am a working mother. she stays with her grandma till 7 pm.

from the last 3-4 days, i started giving her solid but in very painful way. I need to tie up her hands with cloth and keep her legs folded in my legs. this is the way i am feeding her. IS IT Right? belive me, this way, she cries a lot but i do not have any other option.

Request you to all, please provide me with a solution. I am really worried. What to do.

One more thing, would like to share that she has not yet started speaking anything.

look forward for advise from senior parents. please help.

thanks in advance

with best wishes and love

deepa

2. geethabm

geethabm Senior IL'ite

:thumbsupHi Deepa..

First of all .. Being a working mom.. u r not getting enough time to know your child's habits in daily activity.. The way you r feeding is not at all gud n advisable as it makes your child lose interest in eating in future.
    U should have started rice atleast 6 months before... Especially in this age.. they like different tastes and foods..
    Does she eat egg.. In this age.. Egg per a day will give fulfill lot of requirements.
    Have u tried breakfast items like idli,dosa, upma (without chillies).
    I posted a reply to one of the posts .. i will paste the reply here too..

Some kids are choosy eaters.. Let me tell u... Rice is not the only main course.. especially in this age.. Children like to change the food habits very easily... U should keep on giving them new tastes..
    They get bored eating rice everyday..
    U can try this as alternative. :

* Prepare Upma without any seasoning . like mustard,chillies,onions..
    this tastes really good.. Just fry the rawa.. in a little ghee.. add water and salt... Or prepare halwa with sugar.. Nothing wrong in putting sugar once in a while.. Add lots of ghee.. I give this as lunch for my son.. He likes them a lot.. The next day.. I switch to a different dish.
    * Prepare Upma with poha(rice flakes).. without much chillies... Put lemon juice..
    * Chapatis are the best for health.. compared to rice.. it's much healthier too.. U may be wondering how can they chew.. but they can ... I had seen my son liking chapatis..But prepare very softly.,. dip in hot milk and give.. and i put some ghee and sugar and roll it and give her in small bites..
    * Idlis are also very likeable food by most..Try dosa or puri one day..
    It's not compulsory to give rice in lunch.. anything.. that they like and eat fully can be considered..
    *You can give boiled or scrambled egg.. once in a while...with little salt and chilli powder.. (If you eat)..
    Even in rice itself. you have lot of options..
    U can try rice like, lemon rice, tomato rice.. ofcourse.. without spices and much chillies.. while cooking u can put palak,carrots , or potatoes or any vegetable thinly sliced ..in a small amount of rice with some dal ..
    Keep trying different tastes instead of a same dish.. She will definitely get used to different tastes.. which not only make them leave the habit of being a choosy eater..
    What ever she eats.. make her eat on her own.. U can make small pieces and give her in her hand. and after 2 3 days. she will start taking the food on his own.. Children who eat on their own.. knwo their hunger exactly.. compared to children who are fed by moms.. THis will take little time to make them habituate. but on a longer run.. it;s very beneficial..
    Specially start giving her the fruit pieces.. which are yummy and interesting to eat for children..
    Try and try until she starts eating with interest...then she will automatically start eating rice as the main course..

It may take little time in all this.. but we hav to.. whatever habits they get now, will remain 4 ever.. Let her eat all kinds of food, fruits etc.. Then she will follow the same habits...

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Deepa, what do your instincts say about what you are doing. Do you think you are doing the right thing by your child, I can see you are very unhappy with this method. In my experience, forcing my child to do something he does not like always ends up making it a bigger issue for us.
    I am not a professional here, but I have a feeling your child has some issues with textures and perhaps needs help with that. I suggest you have her evaluated with your paed - does your paed know of your child's liquid diet, if so what do they suggest? Your DD does not make any sound? or is not speaking simple repetitive sounds like mama, dada? I believe in early intervention and therefore will suggest you have this problem addressed through professionals ASAP.

4. deepallb

deepallb New IL'ite

Dear Geethabm and Tikka

Thank you very much for your response.

I do agree with you that the way i am feeding will loose her interest in eating. I will try to follow the method told by Geehabam.

Tikka, i had discussed with her doctor regarding her deny to solid food, he advised not to give her milk. let her be hungry, and serve solid. this way she will start taking solid. but the problem is that as I am working i go out from home at 8:30 am and she is with her grandma. my mil, you know can not see her crying and she gives milk if she does not eat solid (you know grandma love, koi baat nahi kabhi to khane lag jayegi) . But will try to follow the method advised by you.

And, I have not yet discussed with her doctor regarding her speech problem. I think, i really need to go and consult regarding this.

thank you, really sharing thoughts or problem in ILs gives a piece of mind. it feels we are not away from home. everybody is here only.

thanks once again.

with love and best regards[​IMG]

deepa

5. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Deepa,

Has your LO got her teeth already? Could that be a problem for the speech delay?

In case your LO is not taking solids, how about starting with soups - tomato, chicken, vegetable. Soups have their own nutritional value so you can atleast make a slow start with soups then you can mash well and serve food. Just start with one or two spoon to introduce the taste. In case you are a non veg then you can include fish with rice. Oats are good to be introduced, ragi porridge, wheat lapsy.

You can cook add rasam or dal and serve rice. The idea is make it tasty while serving may be your LO will like it.